Backing up Rich Communication Services RCS messages aka Advanced Messaging

cantbackuprcs

I believe there are a lot of folks like me who want to manage their messages by syncing to a computer where they can view search copy reply etc. and there are many programs out there to do that.  I'm using MyPhoneExplorer.  We don't just want a bulk backup and restore so Kies/Smart Switch is not an option.  Unfortunately these programs can't manage RSC/Advanced Messaging messages.  I found this out the hard way when moving to a new phone that automatically configured this feature without me knowing or understanding the implications discovering too late that these messages weren't being synced with my PC.

I was able to force my phone to only send Text instead of Chat messages by turning of Voice over LTE and WiFi calling but that is not the best solution.  The best solution is for T-Mobile to provide an API to access these messages on the phone (my understanding RSC messsages are stored differently than SMS which is why the apps can't back them up.)

Is T-Mobile planning on providing the ability for it's users to manage their own messages they way they want?

All replies

• tidbits

Universal Profile is the going standard, and if it still doesn't support RCS when T-Mobile turns that on then GSMA or the OEM needs to release what is needed to back it up.  Even the developer of the app you are using needs to update their app for the upcoming changes.

You can always use a 3rd party message app to do what you need

• cantbackuprcs

Hi tidbits,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  From what I could gather, RCS is not yet an agreed on standard, and T-Mobile has currently implemented their own proprietary version that isn't compatible any other carries.  The result is some messages are RCS aka "Chat" some are good old fashioned text messages.

The third party vendors CAN'T back up RCS messages because they are stored in a different database and T-Mobile and other companies have not released an API/SDK to allow them to build that integration.  I hope "the OEM releases what is needed to back it up."

According to the following link T-Mobile is going to roll out Google's version of RCS in the second quarter of 2018

https://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-rcs-universal-profile-q2-2018-845481/

That's a good idea to use a third party app.  For now I just disabled "Advanced Messaging"

• tidbits

cantbackuprcs wrote:

Hi tidbits,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. From what I could gather, RCS is not yet an agreed on standard, and T-Mobile has currently implemented their own proprietary version that isn't compatible any other carries. The result is some messages are RCS aka "Chat" some are good old fashioned text messages.

The third party vendors CAN'T back up RCS messages because they are stored in a different database and T-Mobile and other companies have not released an API/SDK to allow them to build that integration. I hope "the OEM releases what is needed to back it up."

According to the following link T-Mobile is going to roll out Google's version of RCS in the second quarter of 2018

https://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobile-rcs-universal-profile-q2-2018-845481/

That's a good idea to use a third party app. For now I just disabled "Advanced Messaging"

They are not using Google's version...  It's GSMA.  They are just using Google servers because Google made them free to use(bet they are taking your data).  T-Mobile could have use their own server and it would still be the same Universal Profile.  Samsung even has it setup that Samsung phones uses their own servers and not Googles but it's still one in the same.

There is no standard API from GSMA and either the OEM, or GSMA has to make a standard API.  T-Mobile doesn't touch code like people on the internet believe they do.  People are thinking about the days of BREW and that is long gone and standards have changed.