Unlocking iPhone 6s purchase in full and had it more than 2 years

gastonba

Hello,

I had my T-Mobile purchased phone iphone 6s (at a T-Mobile store in San Francisco, CA) on 9-25-2015 and I had it on prepaid for more than two years until I transfer my number to Virgin Mobile and purchased another phone.

When I was trying to sell my iPhone 6s, I realized that was carrier locked to T-Mobile network.

I called several times to support, and while they were not able to find my account as was prepaid and terminated account. Many times they were able to get it with th eIMEI number (or serial number) and I was told that since they were able to see that I had it for more than two years, they will send me the unlocking steps by email.

Than never happen. Three times never happen (meaning I had to go through all explanations several times with people from all around the planet).

Now they are not able to find my account anymore with IMEI number, and they claim that my phone has to be active for 40 days or 2 months (depending the representative), when the T-Mobile page does not state anything like that, see below:

Unlock Eligibility for Prepaid Phones and Tablets (at SIM Unlock Policy | Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device | T-Mobile

• The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year.
    • If the device has been active for less than 1 year, then the Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
    • T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

I am getting really frustrated. I paid the phone in full in 9/25/2015. I had it for more than two years active. I have the proof of purchase and all representatives now just hung up on me when I insist that has to be unlocked. what the hell???

Should I contact the FTC and start a complaint?

Gaston

All replies

• gramps28

You forgot this requirement.

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be a T-Mobile device.
        • The device must not be reported to T-Mobile as lost, stolen, or blocked.
        • The account associated with the device must not be canceled, and be in good standing.
        • You have requested no more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
        • The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.
        • T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.
        1 of 2 people found this helpful
          • gastonba

The account it is in good standing, as prepaid, as been paid while in service.

The good standing refers to Post-Paid accounts (as stated, If the device is associated with a canceled account, then the account balance must be zero).

Gaston

• gramps28

A prepaid plan has to be active to be eligible for an unlock code which is why they

couldn't find your account.

• gastonba

Thank you for your answer, but as I stated above, my account and plan duration was verified several times with the IMEI number only. Just now they claim that they cannot found it anymore... They just want to make me loose my phone or pay 100$ towards a phone number that I do not need.

You are not helping. Thank you anyways.

Gaston

• gramps28

Whatever.

The answer I'm giving you isn't what you want to hear so that's why it's no help to you.

• gastonba

And you are a T-Mobile employee?

Like I said, T -Mobile representatives were able to find my account with the IMEI number and able to verify all my information. The first guy said that he took screenshots of what he found and sent it to corporate, and would call me back in two weeks. Nothing happen.

The second girl that found my account (two weeks after the first guy never called) stated that they were going to email me with instructions. That the IMEI number brought the account and nothing else was necessary. Just to look into my email, and email spam folder.

Nothing happen again. The third person that go through stated that I did not needed to contact them again...

The fourth person gave me some instructions as how to erase all phone contents and settings and claimed that in that way, when inserting a new different SIM card will be lock to the new carrier. When I was in that call, I did not had another SIM card to use, so I was not able to follow through and challenge his procedure.

Now nobody is able to find the account anymore, and you, a T-Mobile employee claims that is not possible... It was possible minimum three times.

You are not helping, you are just a corporate (parrot) representative.

Your answer has nothing to do to me not liking your answer or not. The phone should be unlocked.

Gaston

• tidbits

gastonba wrote:

The account it is in good standing, as prepaid, as been paid while in service.

The good standing refers to Post-Paid accounts (as stated, If the device is associated with a canceled account, then the account balance must be zero).

Gaston

Good standing and active is a requirement for all accounts it's not specified to just postpaid.  You cherry picked one part of the whole thing but as stated before the account must be active regardless if postpaid or prepaid.

here is the link to their policy and if you take the time to read it I put them in bold as these are the base of the rules and each postpaid and prepaid has separate rules after these because they have to be treated differently.  Postpaid can be canceled but all charges must be in good standing, but the luxury does not apply for prepaid.

Unlock your mobile wireless device

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be a T-Mobile device.
                        • The device must not be reported to T-Mobile as lost, stolen, or blocked.
                        • The account associated with the device must not be canceled, and be in good standing.
                        • You have requested no more than two mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
                        • The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Pay in Advance (Prepaid) Unlocking terms outlined below.

You can try contacting T-Force and see if they are able to bend(break) the rules for you.  You can try and go to the FCC but the rules are outlined and the FCC isn't going to do squat, because the rules are within the FCC rules for unlocking.

No I do not work for nor do I have vested interest in T-Mobile.  I also am on other carrier boards and will say the same thing.  I do not believe in customer loyalty for the simple fact is reduces competition.  It's a business relationship, and if a business wants your hard earned money they better work for it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • gastonba

I am surprised that you just parrot out the same lines that the T-Mobile employees say. That the " plan has to be active to request an unlock code" it is not stated nowhere in the page that I point out. It only states that has to be in good standing (for post paid phones).

Gaston