Beware of T-Mobile Auto-Pay

magenta4800223

Dear Team,

I have been with T-Mobile for more than 4 years Business to personal T-Mobile one plan earlier and I regret to say that T-Mobile Auto Pay is a complete joke.  When it comes to providing services i liked T-Mobile but when it comes to billing cycles and being transparent with the customers it really sucks.  The Customer service people are really trying to just hand the ball to some one else and walks away from the problem.  They don't talk to the point and never gives a valid answer.  At least some one in this forum can help me get through the answer.

I started up my T-Mobile one plan on 23rd February 2017 and was told that my billing cycle runs between February 23rd to March 23rd and I have to pay it over the Auto Pay on 14th of every month as i am on Bill Current Billing cycle.  the next billing cycle starts on March 24th and it continues until April 23rd.  Everything was going find and i decided to switch out to Sprint as there was poor service in my newly moved building and my peers were using Sprint.  I made the move on 8th of April 2018 and the Auto Pay debited 100$ for the billing cycle of March 24th to April 23rd 2018.  When i first called the T-Mobile Customer support they told me that what ever you payed for on April 14th is for the billing cycle of February 24th to March 23rd which is a complete lie.  Then i re-iterated over my previous encounters and i am aware of the Bill Current billing cycle and they agreed that the System did terminate my connection on April 8th and prorated the amount for April billing cycle but still you owe us 5$ and 85 cents. 

I went over the period that i have started from 2017 February to till this date and re-iterated that i am on Bill Current billing cycle based on which i am paying it in advance which means you have to owe me a credit.  But the billing department states no i am wrong.  The customer support person gave me a lousy answer that your billing cycle typically starts with 1-4 days the moment you start your new line and you had to pay for the entire month.  One time she literally told me that my original billing cycle started on February 23rd 2017 and it ended on February 23rd 2017 for which i had paid on March 14th the 100$ bill.  And what ever i have paid on April 14th is the amount for the bill between February 24th and March 23rd.  what a joke?  I have recorded the conversation and i asked for the soft copy of the bills to my email address to which one representative accepted and later they said i had to go to T-Mobile stores to get it in person.  As a past customer don't i have rights to get my all billing history?  I should be having the bills downloaded else where in my system but i just want to go by law and pull RFC on my own account and get this resolved.

As a lay man this is my equation.

My T-Mobile One Plan history: Plan start date on February 23rd 2017)

February 23rd-March 23rd ( March 14th Bill Current Billing Cycle)

March 24th-April 23rd 2018 (April 14th debited 100$ amount).  The system terminated and pro-rated the account until April 8th which is when i ported the number but still i owe T-Mobile 5$ and 85 cents or something.  Can some experts help me understand this?  Even if it is 5$ 85 cents it doesn't equate.  Am i a kinder gardener here please??

All replies

• magenta4800223

Re: Beware of T-Mobile Auto-Pay

And to my surprise they also offered me to waive of the balance of 5$ as a courtesy!!!!! who have to be courteous here??

• tidbits

The reps are correct.  There are 2 dates.  For example my cycle is 14th to the 13th, but my bill is due on the 6th. You are bundling the two dates together thinking they are one and the same when they are not.

When you get your first Sprint bill look at the dates you will find your cycle and bill due date are roughly 20 days apart.  So yes if they waived it they are being Courteous to you as you do owe that money and they are letting it go.

edit: due on the 6th, but My autopay happens on the 2nd.

• magenta4800223

You are not getting the point, even if it is two dates, how does it equate??  You are confused with a normal billing cycle and Bill Current Billing cycle. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1101#thirdheading  .  Go to the t-mobile official documents and read through the Bill Current billing.

As per tidbits, if there are two dates, my auto pay should have started on April 14th 2017 but where as it started on March 14th 2017.  As per all post paid plans, you use it and pay it, then comes this Bill Current Billing which is a hybrid and now comes new problems along with it.

I am happy to go over the math for you.  Will you ever pay for the services which you haven't used is my question and i want others to be beware of this.

• tidbits

Uhm...  This...  Bill Current is PREPAID.

Bill Arrears billing

With Bill Arrears billing, you are billed, and your bill becomes due, after the bill cycle is closed. Your bill will include:

• Charges for your monthly rate plan and features through the end of your current billing cycle
                  • Any early termination fees (if applicable), depending on your service agreement end date
                  • Any additional one-time charges, usage, or services in the last bill cycle
                  • Associated taxes
                  • Any adjustments or bill credits owed

If you have an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP) or Extended Payment Schedule, the total remaining charges will be added to the last bill. If you have AutoPay, we will deduct your final amount as usual. If you paid a deposit upon activation, and you still have a credit left on your account 30 days after your final bill, you can request a refund by contacting T-Mobile Customer Service. Things to keep in mind:

• If you have a Signal Booster, you'll be mailed a kit to return the Signal Booster to T-Mobile upon canceling your account. Failure to return the device can result in a non-return fee applied to your final bill.
                  • If you have a recurring corporate discount, it will not be applied on the final bill.
                • magenta4800223

tidbits even if they are very much generous can you answer the basic math below? where is the confusion?

Start Date (Feburary 23rd 2017) and billing cycle runs from 23rd to 23rd.  if so how many payments should have made between february 23rd 2017 to April 23rd 2018? with your calculation i should have made 13 payments and the balance is due for May 14th.  But I have already made 14 payments....

• tidbits

A screen of my bill for your reference.  As you can see in red the current bill cycle, and when my bill is due is two different dates.  This is bill Arrears

Capture.PNG

• magenta4800223

tidbits Going by this when you started with your Auto Pay lets say an arbitrary year March 14th 2017.... when did your first auto pay got debited??  Are you saying your auto pay started on April 2nd though your bill due is as on May 6th???  This is the case i am bringing it here.  Can you check when was your first autopay debit made and for which cycle you have paid the very first bill with?

• tidbits

I showed you a screenshot of my Bill and the dates.  It's DUE may 6th, but the BILL CYCLE March 14th to April 13th.  You are on Sprint and they do bill Arrears and your bill will be exactly the same as T-Mobile.

• magenta4800223

you are not answering me precisely and talking about sprint here... why are you even going to sprint.. lets equate it here right... Answer my simple questions here....

what are post paid plans??  you use it and pay for the service right??

If so, based on my example i had 14 months of service and i have already paid 14th months of bill where does the arrears come from?

If i have already paid for 14 months but i have used it for 13.5 months only, then where is the pro-rated credit?

• tidbits

magenta4800223 wrote:

you are not answering me precisely and talking about sprint here... why are you even going to sprint.. lets equate it here right... Answer my simple questions here....

what are post paid plans?? you use it and pay for the service right??

If so, based on my example i had 14 months of service and i have already paid 14th months of bill where does the arrears come from?

If i have already paid for 14 months but i have used it for 13.5 months only, then where is the pro-rated credit?

How can you have paid 14 months?  When you are BILL AFTER service not before.  You switched to T-Mobile One in February which means you had service PRIOR to using Autopay...  So if you think you are bill current you think you paid for that month when you didn't.  So you only paid 13 times since switching to autopay and T-Mobile One plan.  So that means you still owe for services.

• magenta4800223

Your answer really doesn't help, i have already given enough information and said enough that i made 14 payments.  I can lie but my credit card statements doesn't.  To re-iterate, I moved to T-Mobile One plan on February 23rd 2017 and set up auto pay the same day but i was charged 100$ on March 14th 2017.  Starting From March 14th 2017 untill April 14th 2018 i made 14 payments.

If i have already made 14 payments how can you say i owe 5.85 cents?  How does it equate?

• magenta4800223

I spoke to Erica from Customer Support again.  She pulled up my old Business Account and found that i was in Billing Arrears Mode and when ever T-Mobile Move customers from arrears to bill current, they had to readjust the arrears period.  So this is what happened, the credit on my account was carried all the way and they had readjusted it in the final bill.  Happy that she was able to go back 2 years old bill and really went through each month what was my plan charges and what the credit was carried over and finally we worked it out.

Thanks T-Mobile Support (Though not all are good but there are few exceptional people who really assist).