Why do T mobile CSRs keep lying to me

magenta4477458

I bought an Iphone X at the end of this January from a T-Mobile store and immediately activated it. I then went to a foreign country and gave it to a foreign friend after taking out the associated SIM card(which is a big mistake if you want to unlock the Iphone X, I know).

Around the end of this March, I started to call T-mobile CSRs to unlock the phone since at that point, I had already fully paid the balance of the iphone and moreover, I also had paid two monthly bills. So I thought it should be the time to unlock the phone. I called 611, and the first CSR said the  phone was eligible to be unlocked and let me wait for 24 hours for an email. I believed and waited, and the smoothness of the unlocking procedure was beyond my imagination. 

Unfortunately, 24 hours later, nothing happened.  I dialed 611 again. The second CSR expressed her sympathy and did agree that the phone should be able to be unlocked, since I had already fully paid the balance and also two monthly bills. I believed, and thought the second CSR was really nice. She submitted the second request and let me wait for 24 hours again.

What happened 24 hours later? Still nothing. I began to feel I was really stupid to believe whatever the previous CSRs told me an called 611 again. This time I asked why the unlock request was denied and the guy told me it was because there was no usage on T-mobile network. I said I had paid the full balance and two monthly bills, which means the phone was already mine and I had used your service for two months, why couldn't I unlock my phone? The guy then put me on hold for a while, asked his manager, and then he came back to me saying that his manager had approved to unlock my phone. He also said this time was different from last two because his manager approved. I believed and waited for another 24 hours. But still nothing happened.

As the times of calling 611 increased, I gradually figured out the pattern of how CSR handle calls of requesting unlocking and began to search for the unlocking policy myself. I then found this forum, and realized that there is a 40-day requirement to unlock the phone. Why didn't any of the previous CSRs tell me that? If this is the rule of T-mobile that is so fair, then why did all the CSRs try to hide that? I dialed 611 again, with a suspicious attitude towards to whatever they said(Actually since then whenever I call CSR, I have been suspicious about whatever they say. My experience so far is that the suspicious attitude is rally necessary when you are dealing with them).

One CSR, other than the three mentioned above, did say that the previous CSRs all lied to me and what they wanted was just to hang up my call. I was so shocked!  Then I asked the same CSR how to unlock my phone, he said it has to have usage, but the 40-day tenure requirement is not that strict. He said using it for 10 days would be sufficient to unlock it. OK, fine, I would comply with your rule. So I spent 50 dollars to ship the associated SIM card to my friend in a foreign country and told him to use it to text other people and browse the internet using roaming data(My plan is T-MOBILE One, so there two things are free).

Last friday night I dailed 611 to unlock the phone since the phone had already been used for more than 10 days. The conservation was fairly standard, and I know it almost surely was gonna be rejected(bacause I don't believe what the previous CSR told me, but I still wanted to give it a try), although the current CSR told me that my phone was eligible to be unlocked. Two hours later, I called again and another CSR told me the request had already been rejected and this time he would submit a request to override the previous decision. Old trick, I know, the overriding stuff is just a straight lie, just as the guy one month ago told me his manage had overridden the decision.

This morning I still had not received any email and I dialed 611 again. The CSR told me the request was denied. She also told me there was only one request submitted last Friday, which means the second CSR last Friday night told me a bigger lie: not only the overriding stuff is a lie, the guy did not even submit a second request! I am shocked again! Then the current CSR did the same thing: submitted another request, promised she is not a liar, I would receive an email within 24 hours and my phone will be unlocked.  Is this also gonna be a lie? With probability 99.9%, yes.

I understand T-mobile's policy. What I don't understand and feel angry and disgusting about is that why all the CSRs keep lying to me. If your policy is so fair and public, why not just told me when I called in? Why not just say that your phone is not eligible to be unlocked because there is no usage and it has not been active on T-mobile network for 40 days.  Why told me that once it had usage, 10 days' usage would be sufficient to unlock the phone. I cannot even rationalize their behaviors? If what CSRs want is to end the conversation as quickly as possible, then isn't telling me the truth the best strategy? Why bother submitting the request , promising me it will be unlocked, and arguing why he/she is different from the previous ones, which are apparently all lies?

Can I just ask: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Why do T mobile CSRs keep lying to me

Oh man this is a rough one. We totally should have gone over the requirements with you thoroughly and my apologies for any miscommunication on our side. I really wish I could give you an exact reason as to why you were told what you were told but I don't think it was our CSRs intention to cause any confusion. As you've mentioned our Unlock your mobile wireless device  page does have the correct requirements and I've double checked to make sure our internal docs say match (and they do). It's understandable why you're upset, and I agree that we should have been more clear. I also get that this doesn't change what happened but for what it's worth, I do appreciate you coming here to tell us what happened and how we can do better for you.