Extended LTE (band 12 and 71) 600/700 on S8 or S9 Active?

gerrym

I currently am on TMobile using and S8 Active.  I am moving into an area serviced by band 12 of TMobile, as evidenced by a friends Google Fi phone connecting to these channels there.  My S8 Active has very minimal service at the new place, and will not connect to the band 12 frequencies the Google Fi phone does. When i purchased my S8 Active back in the fall one of the main reasons was its support for Extended LTE.   What am I missing for the S8 Active.  I'm ready to upgrade to the S9 Active when it is released... but want to understand what is going on with the S8 Active first.   Any help would be appreciated.   Zip code for the new home is 23435 in Suffolk, VA.   Thanks in advance!!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

When you're getting minimal service, how many bars do you have and what connection is your phone getting? Is this happening indoors or outdoors? Also, have you noticed this happening just at the address you'll be moving to, or have you traveled to other areas?

• gerrym

Mike, thank you for replying.   These are all 'outside' at this point, the house will be getting under construction in the next 30 days or so.  I am only noticing this connection issue when I'm at the location for the new house.   TMobile for those locations is -112-115db typically, and just a couple of bars and the connection just says LTE ( using Signal Check Pro to analyze).   It comes and goes a little around the new lot, but basically anywhere in that neighborhood the service is not good.  I can travel a mile away or so and Tmobile servcie comes back better.   My friend's Fi phone (also using Signal Check Pro) at the location of my new house gets -109db and says its connected to a TMobile LTE 700Mhz connection.  -109db would be more consistent, I'm just trying to do an on site web cam at the moment.

I would be most interested in knowing why my TMobile phone will not use the same 700 MHz feed, I'm guessing its because the tower there is setup to acknowledge only Fi phones, not TMobile?    My S8 Active is capable of channel 12 as I understand it.

• tmo_mike_c

Yeah, I'm seeing it supports band 12 too. Are towers aren't known for being "temperamental" to certain phones, so I'm thinking you should be able to connect. In the areas that you do get signal, are you connected to LTE or only a 2G/3G connection? For example do you get LTE when you're a mile away?

• gerrym

The connection on Signal Check Pro labels the tower connection as LTE.  Thats it.  The 4G status icon is at the top of the screen.  I was thinking a PWL update might help, tried that and nothing changed.   Since last week when I did this my S8 Active has taken the Android 8.0 update.   I'll going back out to see if for some reason that made a difference.  My wife's TMobile phone is 'plain' S8, I need to put Signal Check Pro on it and see how it compares.   VERY interesting that your initial feel about 12 being something my S8 Active should switch to, and with the 'LTE' signal was -115 or so, I'd think the S8 Active would discriminate the 700 Mhz signal as a better source to use.  Its like it cannot see it.  

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for that info. Do you also see strong signal next to the 4G symbol? Also, were you able to test out the service in that area after the software update? Please let us know if you saw an improvement.

• gerrym

Mike, my S8 Active took Android 8 and now I'm seeing the LTE 700 channel 12 about 5 db higher than the channel 4 connection.  My S8 Active locks on to this channel 12 at -109db to -111db typically but... there is virtually no data performance on ch 12.   Speedtest.net actually yields 0.33 down and 0.19 up using this channel.   The Fi phone on that channel 12 gets similarly poor data speeds.   Prior to this on Ch 4 and the S8 Active/Android 7, I was getting 11.8 to 14.0 down and 0.22 to 2.14 up.    ( can't seem to find a way to sit there and get the phone to switch from 12 to 4 and back although I'm thinking there is a *# command that might get me there).     My brother's Fi phone locks on to ch 4 and gets similar 10 or so down and less than 3 up.   You thoughts?   Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.  It is very important at our 'new house' to know where we'll stand.   -Gerry

• tmo_mike_c

Ah okay. That's very interesting. I remember folks using that code back in the day to change the channel, but we don't require you to manually change that to get faster speeds. It's definitely not normal to have a software change impact the data speeds like what you're saying. Haven't seen any reports of this happening either. Just so I'm clear, have you been testing your speeds only in this area you're planning on moving to? I'm just curious if you've tested in areas where the speeds were faster prior to the update.

• gerrym

Mike, thanks.   I'm not inferring the software update ( to Android 8) impacted anything other than my phone's ability to connect to ch 12 at the new location.   While it was on Android 7 ( during my first post in this thread) it would only connect to ch 4.    At this point my wife's S8 will also connect at about -110, but her phone will not perform with any usable data speed, its in the weeds too like my S8 Active ( and my brother's Fi phone) at less than 0.3 mb down and 0.1 mb up.   Its like ch 12 is just unable to connect a data stream.    All of these checks have been at the same location on Green Spring Drive in Suffolk, VA  23435.   Here is a screen capture from my S8 Active.    Hope this helps in some way.  

Screenshot_20180428-190210_Network Cell Info.jpg 

• tmo_mike_c

This is good information and thanks for screenshot. I haven't come across any issues with channel 12 on this device in a specific location or other locations after the update. I appreciate you testing out the speeds here, but have you run any tests elsewhere? I'm thinking we'll need to have our Tech Care folks file a service complaint for the troubled address to have engineers investigate this further.

• gerrym

Mike, thanks for continuing to follow up.   Tests outside this area yield 'normal' Tmobile performances, in the 60-100 mb down and 15-20 or so up.  With the strength of this location being -109 to -111 I the data rate of 0.3 down and 0.1 up certainly seems quite incorrect.   How do I get a ticket submitted to Tech Care?

• tmo_mike_c

Wow! That's a really big difference! You can submit that ticket either by calling into our Tech Care folks or reaching out to our T-Force folks via the Facebook or Twitter links on our Contact Us page. Either department can get this process started for you, but if you do go through our social channels, you can link them to this thread that has all the details. Once the ticket's been filed, we'll need to allow our engineers some time to look at what's going on and they'll work on getting this resolved.