Terrible Voice Quality and Weird Sounds

masterwu

Anyone having terrible call quality when calling to and from similar to devices? For example, I went with the BOGO promo and got two S9+. When calling each other, on both ends we sound like we're drowning in water. Along with that voice quality there is a squeaking, robotic sound that goes of constantly.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Terrible Voice Quality and Weird Sounds

Good morning, masterwu!

Welcome to our Support Community! You have such great phones but they don't do any good if you can't hear calls clearly. Let's get to the bottom of this! Can you try following these steps to see if the audio quality on either S9+ improves?

Static, muffled, or garbled audio

1. If the problem is only with a specific number (not all calls), then call it from another line. If the other line has:
          • A similar problem, then the problem is with the number you are calling. The owner should find support for their phone.
          • No audio problem, then continue with the steps below.
        2. Remove any cases or covers from the phone. They can cover speaker or microphone holes.
        3. Remove any plastic screen protectors. Phones may come with these when new, or you may have added one. They can cover speaker or microphone holes.
        4. Blow in the microphone hole to get rid of any dust or pocket lint that may be inside.
        5. Restart the phone.
        6. Change Wi-Fi Calling preferences to Cellular Preferred or Cellular Only.
          • This prevents any Wi-Fi Calling issues with interfering with signal.
          • If you only have problems when Wi-Fi Calling is active, follow Wi-Fi Calling problems instead.
        7. Turn off Wi-Fi to ensure you're using T-Mobile network.
        8. Turn on VoLTE. (Visit your Devices page, and use the Network, APN, and VoLTE page for help.)
        9. Try making or receiving a call. Make sure your hand is not over the microphone.
        10. If your calls still have audio quality problems, Contact us.
          • If you can't call us, you can still send messages through online support, the T-Mobile app, or social (Facebook, Twitter, Google+).
          • Any of our contact options can connect you to someone to look at your account settings, local network details, and file a ticket for any problems.
        • tmo_amanda

Happy Monday, masterwu!

I wanted to swing by one last time to see if you've had a chance to test out the steps that I posted for you last week. Please keep us posted on how the audio is working after trying those steps. 

• masterwu

Hi @Amanda and @tmo_lauren

Thanks for checking in. All of the options you suggested does not correct the problem but I don't believe that is the problem to begin with. I believe the feature HD Calling is actually at fault but there is no way to turn that off except by switching the connection to 3G/2G. Also, the issues are intermittent. It randomly happens and does not matter who I call or who calls me, nor does it matter how strong or weak my signal is. I am hoping that it is simply a software issue that can be corrected in the future but it seems that there aren't that many people mentioning this online so I am just hoping it's not a lemon that I am currently holding.

The day after I made the purchase I stopped at the Tmobile store and told them about these issues. They claimed that local cell towers were under construction but c'mon y'all, how many times are you guys going to feed us that line? I asked for an exchange but they wanted to fix it instead. They cleared the cache on the phone app and on some other apps and it sounded a bit better at the time so I just took it home. Well, after my 7 days exchange period here we are, but I blame myself for that.

Please don't think that I am taking this out on you nice people. Again, I believe it to be software related and I am hoping that future updates would resolve it but thanks for your time and for reaching out.

• tmo_amanda

I appreciate your detailed response, masterwu! Lemons are only good for making lemonade, not talking on the phone lol! With such a new device, we want you to be able to enjoy it.  Usually it's related to the network when voice quality goes down hill but there is a slight chance it's your device.

Next steps: You'll want to get in touch with Tech Support either via 611 or work with T-Force via Facebook or Twitter to get a ticket filed with our Engineering team to have them determine what's causing this.

Keep me updated once you work with them so others can have answers if they encounter the same problem as you.

• suasponte

Any updates on this issue?  I’ve done all the suggested things, and its not the device, its the network.   It happens to me daily.  I’m on calls for maybe 4 hours at a time, and every once in a while, it will sound like we’re both underwater, or we have both turned into Jabba the Hut.  Then other times we sound like the Chipmunks on crack.   It will only last for 5 to 20 seconds.  Another thing we experience is that sometimes it just goes dead. The call is connected, but its like we both put ourselves on Mute.  This happens when I call another T-Mobile user (wife), or Verizon (mom), or AT&T (friend) user. Those are the only people I have 2+ hour long conversations with.   Long enough for this to happen at least a couple times each conversation.  Each time, I have full signal, and it doesn‘t matter if I’m on LTE, 4G, or WiFi.