Galaxy S9 - Delivery reports not working?!

jrockz

Hi all,

I've been having some issues with my S9 that is currently using Oreo 8.0 Build R16NW.G960USQU2ARC6

The only issues that I am experiencing currently is with the Delivery Reports, read reports, etc.  for Text and MMS. I have the option enabled but I never receive any delivery reports regardless of the other phones carrier. I have already tried factory reset, and since my phone is unlocked, I've even tried it with another carrier sim card and it's still not working. I also tried it with and without WiFi turned on.

I've heard that Oreo 8.0 has a lot of bugs (although I do not what type of bugs) that will hopefully get fixed with Oreo 8.1, but unfortunately, TMO is one of the last carriers it seems to push out the latest updates when they become available so it may be some time before I'll know if my issue get's resolved or not.

Is anyone else with an S9 experiencing this issue? If you don't know, but you have a S9, can you test it yourself and let me know?

I'm not having this issue on my S7 that's running Android 7.0

Thank you

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Galaxy S9 - Delivery reports not working?!

Wow, you've done an awesome job with trying to fix this yourself. Can you try flipping the phone to Safe mode to see if the delivery reports work?

• jrockz

Hi Mike,

Being an IT Computer Tech, I do what I can and also with the help of others of course sometimes. I will try the safe mode option, but I've pretty much have come to the conclusion that it's not the physical device it self but rather the Android 8.0 and it's many bugs it has.

I've come to this conclusion based on that I've tested this issue on two more brand new Galaxy S9's. Each one the AT&T & TMO network, a Galaxy S8 on AT&T and they all have the same issue. The person I tested this with has both phone models and told me that the reports used to work.

Seeing that it's not having an issue on the Galaxy S7 with Android 7.0 on any carrier, also leads me to believe it's the 8.0 OS

Hopefully Samsung will push the update to TMO sooner than later.

A co-worker of mine has a Pixel 2 with Android 8.1 and his phone is not having the issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tmo_mike_c

Wow jrockz , I really appreciate you being so thorough with your testing. But, I guess that's nothing new to you since you're a techie. I'm running this by my internal team and doing some research on this to see what I can find out. Also, I appreciate you giving safe mode a shot for me. Please let me know if it makes a difference.

• tmo_mike_c

So, I did get some info about what's going on. With the Rich Communication Services (RCS) built into the message application, it's designed to give you the delivery report within the message thread. For example, you see the words "delivered" and/or "read" for the status. Most folks are used to getting a separate delivery report, but this no longer happens as this is by design. To get the legacy delivery report, you'd have to disable RCS, (which isn't an option) or connect to a network frequency such as 2G which doesn't use RCS. From what I've found out, even changing it to 2G isn't 100% guaranteed.

Just so we're on the same page, are you looking to get the separate delivery report that I mentioned? Please let me know if that makes sense.

• magenta4808431

Hi jrockz . I am new to  this whole community and messaging stuff.  I want you to know you're not alone . I have the problem with delivery reports too.  Its strange cuz in the message settings I hacecdekivery reports marked as Yes! But if you click on any individual message and look at message details it says not requested under "deliver report". I don't understand . How can it not be requested when I have it turned on?

I have a related question too.  Does anyone think this has to do with chat settings vs Regular text settings? What I mean is do you guys think "deliver reports " are only possible in chat settings ? I have used chat settings . I think it's only available between to Samsung phones? I have gotten deliver reports on those.  Yay! Thata why makes me wonder maybe not possible to get deliver reports anymore outside of the chat or instant message feature

• mnike23

Gs9 and 9+  neither are giving delivery or read on the Samsung messages app.

Have restarted, turned off, cleared cache, deleted messages, safe mode, nothing is working.  Any help

• magenta4808431

Mnike23 . There have been few people posted problems with delivery report just like you say. It seems that between 2 Samsung phones it should be good . But between Samsung and non Samsung it doesn't work . I dunno If theres a fix right now   I'm waiting for someone with an answer lol. The answer might be to wait for a software update.  Because new OS's on phones often have bugs in them , which I think is what's happening here.

-Alex

• tmo_mike_c

Hey!

I'm just popping in to say I'm still having this issue looked into and once I get some new info, I'll post what I find. Thanks again for all the details you've given.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • magenta5232666

I hate getting a new phone. I know alot of people love the 'newest and shiniest' but I'm a creature of habit. If it works, don't fix it..... well, unfortunately for me, it broke!    I've never broken a phone, until now. My GalaxyS7 had to be put down, so I upgraded to the S9. I'm still desperately trying to get everything how I like it and I am still hung up on texting. For days I have been trying to sort it out!! SO GLAD I checked here, and found everyone is having the Delivery Report problem. I've read through the thread and I had already tried everything everyone else did, and the suggestions. I'm not just used to having the Delivery Report, I rely on it. From what I've read here, it seems to be a *bug*..... will keep my eyes to the thread for a fix, that I really hope comes soon!!

Thanks SO MUCH for sharing the issue, and recommending ways to try to correct it. I thought I was going crazy!! I HATE getting new phones!!        PLEASE find a fix soon, so I can get on with my life!!    

• jrockz

It seems that the delivery report issues may now be resolved. I found that Samsung has provided an update to their Samsung Messages app recently and so I've updated my app and ran some tests. I'm now getting my delivery reports. Note: The app has to be downloaded and installed manually.

To do this, open the messages app, click on the three vertical dots on the right hand side, click on About Messages and there should be a notification that there is an update for the messages app. Download, install and test it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • turbotoys

I have the newest update and still have an issue -  It is weird though because my wife and I have the same exact S9+ phone and her text app version is different than mine and it wont let her update it .

What app version does everyone have?

I have 5.0.21.18

my wife has 5.0.00.137

Both of ours worked until last night ( July 1, 2018)

• imdi

I have the 5.0.21.18 version (after I updated manually) and it seems to work now although my settings got reset so I had to request reports again.  And I can't be certain it always works since the MO before was that some delivery reports were requested and some were not and I just haven't used it frequently enough yet to know.