Possibly new to TMO...

garyd9

I'm tired of AT&T. I'm tired of their horrible customer service. I'm tired of them trying to shove DirecTV down my throat (even though it's not an option for me due to geography) and I'm tired of them making "mistakes" with their billing (and then telling me that they won't fix the error because I didn't notice it in time.) I could probably fill a few pages with various reasons for being tired of dealing with AT&T, but I suspect anyone reading this would have seen the complaints many times over.

My only real concern with TMO is the coverage in my area. I live in a semi-rural area north east of Pittsburgh, and the TMO coverage maps indicate "fair" coverage. That might mean "good enough inside my house", or it might mean "you have to stand on your roof holding the phone in the air." (In my area, with all the hills, it really can vary that much between 2 houses on the same street.)

To that end, I called up TMO and a very nice woman set me up with an arrangement where she's sending me a SIM starter kit and a V30 phone, and explained that if I just send everything back within 14 days and say I'm remorseful, that I won't be charged anything other than the $25 I already paid for the SIM. (She's sending the V30 on some "jump" plan so I didn't have to pay up front for the phone I wouldn't be keeping, and TMO One as the service.)

My intention, as I explained to the nice woman, is to just test the phone for a day or two to determine if service in my area will meet my needs. If so, I'll be porting 3 lines from AT&T, buying two Galaxy S9's and an iPhone 8, (all on EIP) and using the new TMO military one plan.

One question I forgot to ask, and I'm hoping the people here can answer, is what TMO offers for device insurance that includes coverage for theft and accidental damage. I found a website here (https://uncarrier.t-mobile.com/premium-device-protection-plans) that seems to indicate that it might be for some amount between $7 and $15 per device, but nothing explains which "tier" is which, or which protection plan is which. So, I called TMO and (unlike my first call) spoke with someone who... had a very heavy accent. I understood very little of what she said, I'm I'm fairly certain she understood nearly nothing of what I said. She did keep saying "twelve dollar", but when I asked about tiers and tried to reference that web page, she seemed to not understand anything at all.

So... What "tier" is a smartphone? Which of the device protection plans would "work with" the t-mobile military one plan? Can I get just the basic "device protection" without the security bloatware for $7 or $10 per device? (depending on tier?)

Thank you

Gary

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Possibly new to TMO...

Hi, Gary! Welcome to T-Mobile, and thanks for joining our Support Community to ask some questions!

I know it's been a few days since your post, so I'm not sure if your phone arrived yet -- if so, how's the dry run going? Fingers crossed!
        Device protection is definitely a good choice. The phones you'd be purchasing are considered top tier, premium devices. You can take a look at the current tier and deductibles based on the device and the Device Protection plan by going here: File or Track My Claim | T-Mobile | Assurant  and clicking My Service Fee/Deduhctible at the top of the page. There's a basic Device Protection plan (no Lookout Security or AppleCare services) for which current pricing would be $10 per month. Premium Device Protection is $12 per line per month (for the iPhone, that would also include AppleCare Services at no additional charge). And there's also PDP Plus -- that is $15 per line per month -- has lower deductibles for accidental damage claims and a lower service fee for iPhone screen damage only claims.

I hope that helps! Please let me know what other questions you have!

• garyd9

Marissa, thank you for replying. 

I haven't yet received the phone, but according to UPS, it should show up today.

• tmo_marissa

Cool! Well I hope UPS is timely and the tests go well!

• garyd9

The V30 arrived, and my wife and I drove around for a couple hours with it to check coverage.  All seems "good enough."  To be completely honest, TMO coverage isn't as good as ATT in my area, but it seems to be enough that we'll switch carriers just to drop ATT.  The V30 phone itself is nice, but I'll be sending it back.  (Well, I have to send it back, as it's currently set up as jump on demand, and I'll be doing EIP.)  Anyway, I've become VERY accustomed to "samsung pay", and the veteran 50% off samsung devices makes it worthwhile to get S9's.  (Actually, after using the V30, I remembered how much I like having a larger screen, so I might have to get an S9+ for myself.)

As part of our "tour" for testing the phone, we passed a TMO store and went inside so my wife could.. umm.. touch/feel the galaxy S9.  (She has an S8 right now, but wasn't convinced that the S9 is almost identical.)  While there, I asked them the same question I asked here in this forum and... got a different answer:

According to them, the insurance would be $12 (not $10) but includes something called "jump."  They didn't know anything that would only cost $10, but the "jump" thing seems interesting to me (as I like electronic toys, new versions of android, and new phones usually have the newest versions of android while even a 6 month old phone will wait forever for the update...)

Anyway, as a suggestion for TMO:  Have a single webpage (that's easy to find) that shows all the various "protection" plans in a single place, including the prices.  Right now, that information seems to be available, but spread out all over.  New customers (such as myself) are left wondering and confused as to the various options, prices, and benefits.

Finally, one more question (based on something they said to me in the store.)  What is the final cost of adding "one plus" to a single line when the account is a military vet account?  I thought it was $10, but they suggested that it would work out to only be $5 due to halving the entire bill.

Thank you

Gary

• gramps28

I know when I purchased my V30's on Saturday they gave you an option of 4-5 different

prices for insurance ranging from $10-$15 a month.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • tmo_marissa

Hey, garyd9! I don't blame you at all for taking advantage of that S9 offer -- it's a good deal, and for a limited time, so why not! I'm sorry that the experience in our store added some confusion. The $10 device protection feature is just the basic, and to be honest, most folks don't go with that. Looking back over my reply to you originally, I don't know why I focused solely on PDP and didn't mention JUMP!. If you like to be able to get a new device, it's a great option! One thing worth calling out, though, is that if you JUMP! while receiving Promotional credits, the EIP plan ID changes, and so the credits will stop. Basically, let's say you have an S9, and it's $30 monthly, and you're receiving $15 credits per month to reduce that down by 50% -- if you complete a JUMP! to the S10, the credits don't roll towards the new device. Just want to head that off at the pass! Still, JUMP! is awesome -- all of my family members have it and use it like clockwork and it hasn't let us down yet!
                          About ONE Plus -- I took a look at our internal pricing list for T-Mobile ONE™ Military and it doesn't look like those features are discounted; just the discount off of the original line and then the subsequent discounts off of family lines. There's a slightly more detailed pricing breakdown here: T-Mobile ONE Military Phone Plans | Discounts & More | T-Mobile.

What branch did you serve in? My father was in the Army (AG Corps) for 23 years! He still works for the Army today; just as a GS employee. We did tons of tours and saw the world; we were really lucky kids. Many thanks to you and your family for your service!