Branched to a new discussion.

Cell Coverage and Call Issues

purple665228

I changed to T-Mobile from AT&T a few months ago. Cell service in and around my home is average (2 of 4 bars, slightly less than I had with AT&T). In quite a few cases, when talking on our cell phones at home, the people we are talking to say they cannot hear us or we sound far away. We did not experience this with AT&T.

We frequently find when we are inside buildings in our home are that we have not cell service. The only time I encountered this with AT&T was inside hospitals.

We recently traveled to Pittsburgh. We were in a suburb of Pittsburgh (12 miles south of the city) and found we had no cell service at all. We used to live in this same area and never experienced no cell service (we had Verizon and AT&T while we were living there). During our drive between SC and PA, we encountered many, many areas with no cell service (some rural and some urban). The best cell service we encountered was in WV (not everywhere, but the majority of the route), but to our surprise, the service was provided by AT&T.

In NC, our phones indicated 2 bars of cell service. We were able to make calls, but the calls kept dropping repeatedly.

We are using the same phones (iPhone 6) that we used with AT&T, so the differences and issues we are encountering with T-Mobile would appear to be related to the quality of T-Mobile cell service.

We are traveling to Italy later this year and were initially excited that our plan includes talk, text, Internet while we are there. But we are now wondering if we will actually have cell service to get those services.

We switched to T-Mobile because of the features and plans/pricing, but the experience we have with the actual cell service has been disappointing.

All replies

• cesaribenitez95

Re: Cell Coverage and Call Issues

I have heard of the problems with iphones and cell service. What happen is that Apple release an update that causes cell service to lose priority. Now to my understanding they "fixed" that on 11.3, but that is something I have to see. let's just say I think Apple will just end up giving out free cheap cases again.

• purple665228

Can you clarify which of my problems (dropped calls, low/no cell reception) you feel are attributable to Apple? I am running 11.3 on both iPhones. I do not understand what free cheap cases has to do with anything. Thanks but Your response was not helpful.

Sent from my iPad

• tmo_amanda

Hey there, purple665228!

Welcome to T-Mobile and our Support Community! It sounds like the coverage hasn't been strong in many places you've visited. You've definitely expanded outside the city and can show this isn't happening in an isolated area. While the iPhones are pretty similar between us and AT&T, the device itself may not be able to access our updated network frequencies. Can you provide me with a zip code of a specific area you experience this? 

• purple665228

Amanda,

The place in Pittsburgh where I had no cell reception at all was zip 15317, but primarily at the intersection of Valleybrook and McMurray Roads. There were numerous places during our trip where There was no cell coverage but I don’t know the zip codes.

The issue with calls cutting in and out or poor call quality I experience from my home at zip 29582.

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for the extra info, purple665228! It's possible that it's due to the iPhone. Can you tell me which model of iPhone 6 you have? There are the following models to choose from: A1549, A1522, A1586, or A1524. I'm definitely thinking the issue is more signal related and the bands that your phone picks up vs what is available. From checking out the areas that you provided, I can see that in a larger building you may not have a super strong signal inside. However, that's something deeper that our Engineers can dig into. Have you chatted with our tech support team about this yet?

• purple665228

I have two A1549 iPhones.

The building in the Pittsburgh suburb where I had no reception was a home converted to a business, so very small, typical house construction.

Sent from my iPhone

• purple665228

I have not spoken with Tech support.

Sent from my iPhone

• tmo_chris

Thanks for clarifying! Since we are not seeing anything at a high-level. We are going to want to get you in touch with our tech care teams so that they may open up a support ticket for your location. Please contact us when you have a moment.

• purple665228

I contacted Tech Support and they had me perform a network reset on both my

iPhones. They said that my issues should not be related to the age of my

iPhone 6 but rather older network settings that were in my phone from my

old AT&T service. I will try this for a while and see if it improves my

service.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, purple665228! I wanted to check in and see how things are going post-reset. Have you noticed any changes? We've got our fingers crossed!

• purple665228

The primary improvement I am looking for is cell coverage when I am away from home. Unfortunately, I have no travel scheduled until mid-June.

The reception in my home area may have improved slightly but it is difficult to tell.

The only positive feedback I can give at this point is that I have not encountered any issues with reception or dropped calls in my home area since the reset.

Thanks for checking.

• tmo_marissa

I hear you -- coverage while travelling is a must, and I think with the summer months coming even those who don't travel for work have that concern looming. I'm glad to read that so far things seem to be going well at home!
                                              I'll mark your most recent reply as correct for now -- otherwise our team will spam you with check-ins every few days, and that might mean a lot of emails between now and mid-June!

That said, when you are travelling, please come back and let us know how things go. You can either unmark the reply as correct and respond here -- Amanda and Mike and I will get notifications -- or you can create a new post if you'd prefer!

• purple665228

Will do. Thanks for all your help.

• purple665228

I received the Signal Booster from T-Mobile and it has significantly improved cell reception in my house. Love it.

Traveling around town, my reception seems like it may be improved somewhat. Still waiting to see how it is on a trip.

I am coming to regret not taking advantage of the T-Mobile promotion to purchase new phones 2-for-1 when I moved to T-Mobile. I believe I would be better off had I done that. As I understand it, such an offer will not be available to me again?

• tmo_marissa

Hmmm -- I'm not sure! What was the reason you didn't think you'd be eligible for this kind of offer if it comes back up?

I'm glad to read that the booster is doing good work for you at home, *and* that things seem improved a bit around town, too!

• purple665228

I changed to T-Mobile at a kiosk in Costco. I went back to that kiosk the other day to ask if I could still take advantage of that deal I was told that deal expired a few days ago. When I asked about possible future deals, I was told that deals like that are only for people changing to T-Mobile.

I now realize that our older iPhones are performing below average and am faced with the cost of 2 new iPhone 8’s which is too steep. If only I had been smart enough to take advantage of that deal when I changed to T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPad

• tmo_marissa

Aaaaah, gotcha!

Well, first, I should clarify that Costco offers may have different limitations than T-Mobile offers; because they're a third party retailer. Some of our BOGO offers might require a port-in (in which case they would be limited to accounts that are adding a new customer), but others don't! It really just depends on the offer. I do know we actually started a new offer today, but like the previous one, it does require at least one port-in and trade-in. :/ That's not always the case, though!

If you visit this page and click the thumbtack, you'll get alerts when new device deals are added so you can look over the requirements! Device deals

• purple665228

Thanks. But I wonder how long it will be until a new deal comes along that I qualify for.

Appreciate you help.

• purple665228

Update.

I was out for a drive today and encountered another significant area where I had absolutely no cell service. The area stretched from a few miles south of Dillon, SC, along SC Highway 9, through Nichols, and almost into Loris, SC.

At one point, somewhere between Nichols and Loris, my wife had one bar reception on her phone for a short distance, but I never had any reception on mine.

• purple665228

Amanda,

If there are differences in an iPhone I purchased from AT&T and one from T-Mobile that would affect my quality of service, I would have appreciated being advised of that when I joined T-Mobile. That may have affected my decision to switch or may have made me decide to purchase new phones. I believe there was an incentive going on to purchase new phones from T-Mobile when I switched, but I did not think there was a need to do that.

I know that the quality of cell service I am receiving from T-Mobile is not as good as what I received with AT&T.

Jim