International Calls

huk4310

I checked my balance or bill today since the due date is tomorrow and found out that I was charged $221.06 for international calls. I left for Korea on March 11 and came back on March 19, which was during the Winter Olympics. They promoted the free call, text, and data which is why I thought it would be fine to call someone in Korea, but when I called customer service, the person who answered the phone told me that the promotion is only applied when I call someone in the US and the actual fee is $3.00 per minute. I checked it again and there was no specific detail on that part and the same thing goes for the normal rate, which is confusing since the normal rate is $0.20 per minute and it doesn't specifically state that it only applies to when you call someone in the US. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: International Calls

The problem is that when you call anyone in any "Simple Choice" country, it should only cost 20¢/min. EXCEPT if you make the mistake of calling using WiFi Calling. On WiFi Calling there's a catch, incoming calls are free, outgoing calls to the US are free but outgoing calls to any international destination are charged at your international rate for calling from the USA. The default pay-per-use rate to call S. Korea is $3/min. Which is totally outrageous but it's the rate.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • huk4310

Thanks for replying and clarifying everything. It's frustrating that they don't specify certain things and I didn't know that WiFi calling had different rates. I left it on since the free data that is provided was so slow/lagging and I couldn't find the $3.00 per minute rate on the site. I thought it would be free and now I have to pay $221.

• magenta4706895

I had the same issue. I called t-mobile and asked for refund. I got it. You should do the same. It's T-mobile's fault. Not our fault. As you said, it never said anywhere it's $3 /min.

• huk4310

I tried calling customer service, but it doesn't seem like their going to give me a refund for the cost. I found a page that specifically states that WiFi calls placed to international numbers with the Simple Choice plan are $0.20 per minute, which is the plan I am currently on, but the person keeps stating that it's for Simple Choice North America. It doesn't state that on the page. I'm not sure what to do.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, huk4310! I'm so sorry for our delay in chiming in here. How are things going for you at this point? Have you made any progress with our Care team? By any chance are you active on social media -- if so, our T-Force folks on Twitter and Facebook can be great to work with!
                While we can't take a look at your account details here to see how the calls originated, your plan type, or why these charges were assessed, we absolutely want to make sure you're getting assistance. Please let us know how things are going.

• cheryl.orgain

I had the same exact situation in Australia. I was charged the $3 per minute ... luckily I caught it while I was there and only had a small charge. I do agree though that T-Mobile didn't do a great job of explaining the gotchas.

• huk4310

I actually called back to talk to another representative, as the first one didn't understand what I was saying and kept repeating the same thing over and over again, and he took away all of the charges. After this, I'm never going to use my phone abroad even if I get a text saying its all free.

• magenta4706895

Go T-mobile! That's customer serves. It's not a matter of money it's a matter of principle. They were never clear and the web page was never clear either. The worse is the online billing was not updated immediately. For phone calls or text message, you could see it reflected online as soon as 10 minutes or so. But for this charges, it wouldn't show until the billing statement was available. By then, it's too late! If T-mobile system can reflect the charge online instantly, at least we will be able to be check and won't make so many calls before we realize it. Just a suggestion to t-mobile.  

I have been with T mobile for 7 years. I have been very happy them seriously.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for coming back to let us know, huk4310, and thank you for cheering this on magenta4706895! And thanks for chiming in with your experience as well, cheryl.orgain!
                        To *everyone*: this is great feedback about our international policy and maybe a place where we could flesh out some documentation. We'll forward that up, thank you!