Wifi calling unstable since Oreo Update S8+

smokindog

Ever since the update to Oreo, WiFi calling has been finicky at best.  It's OK after a reboot but once you leave the WiFi hotspot and get near to T-Mob network connectivity and then back to the hotspot it will not place a new WiFi call until after a reboot.

I've deleted and re-added by WiFi connections and that doesn't seem to make things better.  I had no issues with Nougat.

I am in a fringe reception area and WiFi calling is my only connection inside my house at most times.  This is a serious issue for us as we both have S8+ phones and at times have no phone connections unless we reboot.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Wifi calling unstable since Oreo Update S8+

Hey, smokindog!

Thanks for posting about the latest update to your S8+. I haven't seen a ton of posts about this happening on other S8/S8+'s but I'd love to help figure out what's going on because there are areas we all rely on WiFi. It looks like you've gone through all of the basic troubleshooting -thanks! Sometimes after a software update, a good ole master reset is needed but I'd like to have you try a few things before we jump to a master reset. Let's try wiping your cache first. Here are the steps:

Wipe cache partition

1. Turn off the device.
        2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
        3. When the green Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
        4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition”
        5. Press Power button to select.
        6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
        7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
        8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Let me know if you notice a difference in your WiFi calling afterwards.

• smokindog

OK, I just did this and will let you know if things improve.  BTW, it's not a green Android logo, it's white on a blue background.  Also, after the installing update it display an exclamation point in a yellow triangle then about 30 seconds later the options menu finally appeared.

Should I again delete and re-add the wifi connection information?

PS - check some of the other android forums and you'll see there are many folks having this issue.  You may want to escalate to Samsung.

• smokindog

Haven't been home enough to test the WiFi calling and potential improvements from clearing the cache as outlined above.  I can however report that this fixed the issue I was having with the Texas Lotto app which could no longer scan a ticket after the Oreo update!

Will hopefully have some testing of WiFi calls this week.

• tmo_mike_c

I did have this checked out to see if Oreo was doing something wonky with the Wi-Fi, and we don't have any reports from Samsung that this an issue. I totally understand resetting isn't the most fun thing to do, but have you given that a shot to see if that helps? It's not something that you'd normally need to do, but there are cases where a reset can help fix issues you may have after an update.