Unlock my iPhone 6 Plus

magenta4679395

I sold my iPhone 6 plus to someone who is using the cricket network.  They get an error code that states, "the SIM card is not supported due to the carrier. It says the phone is still locked by the original carrier. "  So I called up T-Mobile this morning to get the phone unlocked.  They said I would receive an email with unlock instructions.  How long does it take to receive the instructions?

This seems to be a quick look-up for T-Mobile.  I called Apple and this is what they said, "Apple can't unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone."  Therefore, it seems to be in T-mobiles hands. 

I have been doing some reading and it seems that people are waiting days to get unlocked.  Is that still the case or has this issue be resolved?

I purchased the phone outright (in cash and in full) so that should not be an issues and I had the phone for over two years.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Unlock my iPhone 6 Plus

I don't know how long it takes but the unlock will involve syncing the iPhone with iTunes.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta4679395! Typically it takes less than 48 hours to get an unlock approval email as long as you meet the eligibility requirements to Unlock your mobile wireless device. For Apple equipment specifically, it takes another 24 hours after you receive that email for equipment to be ready for unlocking on the back end. Then you can follow the process to complete the unlock! As drnewcomb2 mentioned, this sometimes requires a sync with iTunes -- you can see the two sets of possible procedures here: Mobile Device Unlock: Apple iPhone 6 Plus.

How are things going for you now? I know it's been a few days -- have you received the email reply?

• magenta4679395

It has already been 48 hours and still no email.  I definitely meet the requirements.  I paid for the phone outright and had it for more than 2 year.  I just am having a hard time understanding why the email takes this 48 hours.  Boggles my mind that it takes another 24 hours for the Apple to do it thing.  But when I called apple they said they do not do anything on their end, the carrier does everything.

• gramps28

Were you on a prepaid or postpaid plan?

If it was  prepaid plan the requesting line needs to be active.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • magenta4679395

I paid for the phone outright and then was on a month to month plan. The special they had for two lines for $100.  They old phone (iPhone 6 Plus) hasn't been used in several month the sim card was taken out and placed in the new upgraded iPhone (8s Plus)

• tmo_marissa

At this point you should have received an email reply -- I'm sorry to read you're still waiting. T-Mobile verifies the eligibility criteria, then sends Apple the authorization to proceed, and then they update what's referred to as the "next activation step". The portion of this that Apple is responsible for is setting up the IMEI so that when the device is reset it updates as "open to all carriers" for activation. You mentioned that you had the phone for more than two years -- were you using it on the T-Mobile network that whole time, on a line on an account that is either still open or closed in good standing? Was it postpaid or prepaid? When you provided the IMEI, where did you get that number from -- asking this because if you used our usage systems to check, then the last digit is typically dummied out as a zero, which will result in a decline.
                      I know these are a ton of questions, but since we can't review your account from this public forum I just want to cover all bases and try to figure out if there's a hiccup somewhere causing the delay!

• magenta4679395

I am more than happy to answer these questions. 

The phone was used on the T-mobile network the entire time.  I purchased it in the T-mobile store and have been on their network ever since.  The account is still open the only difference is that instead of a iPhone (6 plus) the phone is now an iPhone (8s Plus).  The account is in good standing.

• jtawn1@gmail.com

So, you are the one that picked up my phone.

This is NOT your phone.

T-mobile: Don't you think it is a bad idea to respond to a person who says: "I purchased the phone outright (in cash and in full)."  Doesn't this sound like a phishing email.  You know, create a sense of urgency to force a response?  Maybe I need a new carrier...