Who has ownership of the phone?

csusb909

A user under my account is leaving my account without paying the EIP of the phone, is the phone legally mine?

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Who has ownership of the phone?

In my opinion it's the Primary Account Holder's or Tmobile's if they're not going to pay for it and if that's the

case I would contact Tmobile support and they should be able to block the phone so it can't be used.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tidbits

In a courts perspective it would belong to the Account holder. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_marissa

Hey, csusb909! If you're the billing responsible party (your name is on the account), then you are financially responsible for any active equipment installment plans generated on the account. This sounds like a tricky predicament and I'm sorry you're going through this. Is the other person staying with T-Mobile? Depending on whether their new account qualifies for credit, and if they're willing to accept the responsibility for the device, we may be able to transfer the balance of the EIP to their new account -- we'd have to send them a financial agreement to eSign, but maybe it could solve this issue for you. Have you had a chance to talk this over with a team with account access? Were we able to look things over to see if that was an option?

• csusb909

Hello!

Thank you for your response. I have not yet talked this over with a team over in account access. I am pretty sure that the user is staying with tmobile. What would be the best number to reach the account access team to try and see if this would be an option?

• alanjingram

Yes I am going through the same bs and I think its bs for t-mobile to even allow it to happen. here is my predicament. A user on my account went into a store and initiated a Change of Ownership/ account transfer blah blah, accepted the EIP on 2 of the 4 devices. I was never involved in the process. Never emailed about it to approve it, never contacted about any of it. They didnt complete the EIP on the other 2 devices. now its back on me. frankly, if they initiated it themselves for the 4 devices then they are accepting responsibility from that moment on and it should fall on them. NOT THE ORIGINAL ACCOUNT HOLDER. Tmobile just wants the easy way out to charge someone for the phones and the easiest target is the original account holder. THATS WHY IM LEAVING TMOBILE AS SOON AS I SORT THIS ISSUE OUT.

• gramps28

Change of ownership can't be done on the store level but only over the phone with customer service,

the primary account holder and the person taking responsibility of the account.

At least it was that way when I took over my niece's account.

• tmo_marissa

Oh goodness, alanjingram. I'm not sure how this could have happened -- gramps28 is correct that a Change of Responsibility requires permission from both parties -- the existing account owner and the potential new account owner. Our system only allows initiating EIP balance transfers for installment plans associated with lines that are transferred. It is ultimately up to the new potential account holder to sign the agreement and accept financial responsibility of the equipment, otherwise the responsibility stays with the original account holder because until new documents are e-signed, that's the account that the financing agreement is tied to. This original account holder's permission needs to already be in place before the request to move the lines is honored. Am I reading correctly that you never provided your permission to move the lines?
                      If that's the case, this is definitely something that an internal team with account access needs to review ASAP. If you're active on social media, I highly recommend our T-Force team on Twitter or Facebook. In those channels we have a secure platform to verify your account and get to the bottom of this; and we've had many users return to report super positive experiences working with them, even in unusual circumstances like these.