Nintendo Switch and HorSpot

swintonr2

Hey everyone! Having trouble with online gaming with my Nintendo’s Switch using mobile hotspot. Having an issue maintaining and keeping a good connection, specifically because my NAT Type keeps coming up as D. This is regardless of my device type. I’ve tried it on two different iPhones, two different iPads, and my Sync Up Drive. I have restarted and restored devices, including the Switch. Nothing works to change this, and I’ve recejved conflicting answers from customer support. Help! Thank you so much!

All replies

• barcodeable

Re: Nintendo Switch and HorSpot

Are you using your phone as a hotspot ?  or are you using a mobile Internet device or a tablet's mobile hotspot?

Are you on T-Mobile ONE, Simple Choice Plan, or T-Mobile ONE+ ?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, swintonr2! This is a little tricky. :/ So tricky, in fact, that I had to consult our resident gamer, tmo_chris. Basically, the smartphone mobile hotspot is designed to let your phone provide access to the internet for basic internet needs, and even with the higher speed plans, you can use it to stream things with pretty great success on the most part. With gaming, though, things like NAT and specific ports come into play. Typically a standard router will have an interface that allows the owner to tweak certain network settings -- to adjust the NAT and ports -- but phones (iPads, SyncUp, etc) don't have this type of customization available. TL;DR, we don't know of a place where you could actually change these settings when it comes to using equipment as a hotspot. I wish we had better news!

• swintonr2

Thanks so much for that thorough reply! I appreciate all the details. So, to wrap this all up...what does T-Mobile offer that would suite my needs in this particular situstion?

Thank you!

• tmo_marissa

At this point, I'm sorry to say we don't currently carry any type of equipment that can be modified like this. Where we are in the game right now, we don't offer our services as a holistic substitute for in-home WiFi or broadband internet, so our service doesn't necessitate retailing equipment that would work to fit this particular need. That said -- you're not the first Community member to ask, though, and we're happy to forward the feedback!