Hi there, rbryinc!
Congrats on your new phone! Did this start happening after a recent software update? Is it all group messages this is happening to or one specific thread? Have you tried clearing your cache on the stock messenger app? If not, give that a shot by following these steps:
Clear app cache and data
Clearing cache or data from an app can fix some software problems. If you clear data, any data stored in that app is lost, such as settings, login information, and saved games. If you don't want to clear the data, try just clearing cache first. If you still experience problems, then clear data too.
- From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
- Tap Settings > Apps.
- Tap the desired application in the default list.
- To display preinstalled apps, tap Menu > Show system apps.
- Tap Storage > CLEAR CACHE > CLEAR DATA > DELETE.
Please let me know if that does the trick. One thing to keep in mind, your text messages should be backed up first otherwise you may lose your SMS history.
this was all done, no one has any idea why this happens. I was on the phone with Tech support as well as Samsung tech and as usual when something out of the ordinary happens no one has any idea why or how to fix it
Have you already tried running the phone in Safe Mode? There may a third-party app that's messing it up. Let me know if the steps below work.
Turn on and use safe mode
Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily uninstall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.
- Turn the device off.
- Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
- When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
- Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
- Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
- When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.
- While in Safe mode, you can now uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
Oh man this is really strange. Have you tried safe mode as suggested above? Please let us know if toggling that setting helps.