Encoded Message

rbryinc

Hi, all of a sudden on my S9+, when I send or receive a group message it comes in and goes out encoded.  I am using the stock messenger.  What the heck is gong on?

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Encoded Message

Hi there, rbryinc!

Congrats on your new phone! Did this start happening after a recent software update? Is it all group messages this is happening to or one specific thread? Have you tried clearing your cache on the stock messenger app? If not, give that a shot by following these steps:

Clear app cache and data

Clearing cache or data from an app can fix some software problems. If you clear data, any data stored in that app is lost, such as settings, login information, and saved games. If you don't want to clear the data, try just clearing cache first. If you still experience problems, then clear data too.

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
        2. Tap Settings > Apps.
        3. Tap the desired application in the default list.
        4. To display preinstalled apps, tap Menu > Show system apps.
        5. Tap Storage > CLEAR CACHE > CLEAR DATA > DELETE.

Please let me know if that does the trick. One thing to keep in mind, your text messages should be backed up first otherwise you may lose your SMS history.

• rbryinc

this was all done, no one has any idea why this happens.  I was on the phone with Tech support as well as Samsung tech and as usual when something out of the ordinary happens no one has any idea why or how to fix it

• tmo_amanda

Have you already tried running the phone in Safe Mode? There may a third-party app that's messing it up. Let me know if the steps below work.

Turn on and use safe mode

Safe mode allows you to turn on the device with third-party apps disabled. Then you can easily uninstall apps that may be causing a conflict or software problem.

1. Turn the device off.
              2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
              3. When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
              4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
              5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
              6. When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.
              7. While in Safe mode, you can now uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
            • tmo_mike_c

Oh man this is really strange. Have you tried safe mode as suggested above? Please let us know if toggling that setting helps.

• rbryinc

same issue

• tmo_mike_c

Oh man, well thanks for giving that a shot. Would you happen to have another T-Mobile device to test your SIM card in? We'd like to see if the same thing happens using another phone. If it works with the other phone, we'd need to look at resetting your S9+.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • tmo_marissa

Hiya, rbryinc. Just wanted to swing by and see if you'd been able to test the SIM and determine whether a reset was the next step here. How are things going for you?

• rbryinc

right now working fine.  Have not replied to a mass message yet and that will be only way to test it.  I think it was someone in the last message that was causing but will not know till someone sends a mass text

• tmo_marissa

Aaah, gotcha. Well, not to push blame on your friends, but I'm going to cross my fingers that your guess is correct, because I'd rather it be them than you!
                              I know this is going to take the right circumstances to test, so I'm going to mark your reply from today as correct so that we don't spam you with check-ins every few days. But once you are able to test this out, please unmark the reply and let us know how it goes!