Simple Choice Plan in Canada

magenta4657641

I have the Simple Choice Plan with 6 GB of data. I'm traveling to Canada in mid-May. Is my current plan (shown below) sufficient so that I may use data and text with no additional fees? When I spoke to customer support this morning, the representative was insisting I needed to spend an extra $10 for the North America feature, but I'm only there a few days and don't need anything overly complicated -- I just want to ensure I have service. Can someone please confirm that I'll have no issue? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 6.08.15 PM.png

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Simple Choice Plan in Canada

I'm trying to remember the history. The original Simple Choice plan did not include free roaming in Canada & Mexico. About the time that AT&T bought lusacell (11/2014) T-Mobile cut a deal with AT&T's competition in Mexico to permit each other's customers to roam for free across the border. T-Mobile introduced Simple Choice NA and raised the price a bit, offering a $10 NA bolt-on to existing Simple Choice customers. All of this was included in T-Mobile One.

Here's T-Mobile's international roaming page for Canada: International Plans | Traveling Abroad without Roaming Fees | T-Mobile

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • barcodeable

Based on your post and based on your current plan you will have Unlimited text & 6GB of 4G high speed data / 2GB of data 2G thereafter. I remember within the last year or so T-Mobile made changes to the Data alloted while in Mexico and Canada so I would look up how those changes affect you. But as for making phone calls, you will be charged .20 cents per minute while in Canada.

IMG_5035.PNG

• miket

Some SC plans include Canada and Mexico as all being "local".  It would appear that your SC plan would give you free text and data BUT charge 20 cents/min for voice.   Calls over wifi would be free.   Unless you will be doing a lot more than 50 minutes of calling - would pay to buy an add on package for$10 - than call in to cancel it.   Remember, you can make calls over apps like Whatsapp, Hangouts, etc. which will use data.  I think Duo also uses data.