Fake LTE

r3gul8r

When I see LTE labeled on my data section on my phone, I presumably think fast data speeds on my phone when connecting to the internet.  Typical 4G LTE speeds range from 10-30mbps.

I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile with the #Getoutofthered promotion because when I utilized T-Mobile's coverage map, it states I have 4G LTE at my home residence and work place.

I have the Google Pixel XL and my wife has the Google Pixel.  At home, my phone shows LTE with full signal reception, but when running speed tests, it shows 1-5 (for a split second) mbps.  This is NOT 4G LTE.  I tried a speed test at work, phone shows LTE, and I'm getting 0.05mbps.  This isn't even 3G. I live on the outskirts of El Paso, and work in a small town of Columbus, NM.  Columbus, NM should never receive any congestion issues.

So why does my phone show I have LTE data but the speeds don't reflect that?  Is this is blatant lie plastered on my phone?

I've tried all sorts of different APN combinations, but nothing changes.

I really want to stay with T-Mobile but not like this.

Does anyone know if there's something I can try on the phones or am I going to have to go back to Verizon?

Here is my current speed test at home, with 4/5 bars of reception, showing LTE data.

t mobile.png

All replies

• magenta4612564

Re: Fake LTE

Well it is LTE. Technically T-Mobile isnt lying to you. Mobile connection type does not depend on internet speeds in any way. You can have LTE with 1 mbps download, and you can have a 3G connection with download speeds as high as 21 mbps (hspa+). T-Mobile generally isn't that good with rural areas, and I get crappy service myself in my home in suburban California, but get great service outside and in most other buildings.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

The speeds you are seeing, where upload is much faster than download, are typical of a very congested sector.  With the Pixel XL and Pixel you have 3-way Carrier Aggregation and bands 2, 4, & 12, so in theory, you should be getting all T-Mobile's available capacity in that sector. Where were these readings made (inside, outside) Zip Code? 

• dragon1562

LTE is simply the wireless technology being used but the actual data speed you will receive varies greatly. It honestly looks like congestion but the best way to find out is to do a speedtest during off peak hours to compare speeds. You could also use a app like LTE discovery to see what band you are connecting to. Frequency makes a huge difference as well. Anywho I would call in to T-mobile and file a service complaint to let them know about the issue in your market specifically after collecting a bit more information before filing the ticket.