Fake LTE

r3gul8r

When I see LTE labeled on my data section on my phone, I presumably think fast data speeds on my phone when connecting to the internet.  Typical 4G LTE speeds range from 10-30mbps.

I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile with the #Getoutofthered promotion because when I utilized T-Mobile's coverage map, it states I have 4G LTE at my home residence and work place.

I have the Google Pixel XL and my wife has the Google Pixel.  At home, my phone shows LTE with full signal reception, but when running speed tests, it shows 1-5 (for a split second) mbps.  This is NOT 4G LTE.  I tried a speed test at work, phone shows LTE, and I'm getting 0.05mbps.  This isn't even 3G. I live on the outskirts of El Paso, and work in a small town of Columbus, NM.  Columbus, NM should never receive any congestion issues.

So why does my phone show I have LTE data but the speeds don't reflect that?  Is this is blatant lie plastered on my phone?

I've tried all sorts of different APN combinations, but nothing changes.

I really want to stay with T-Mobile but not like this.

Does anyone know if there's something I can try on the phones or am I going to have to go back to Verizon?

Here is my current speed test at home, with 4/5 bars of reception, showing LTE data.

t mobile.png

All replies

• magenta4612564

Re: Fake LTE

Well it is LTE. Technically T-Mobile isnt lying to you. Mobile connection type does not depend on internet speeds in any way. You can have LTE with 1 mbps download, and you can have a 3G connection with download speeds as high as 21 mbps (hspa+). T-Mobile generally isn't that good with rural areas, and I get crappy service myself in my home in suburban California, but get great service outside and in most other buildings.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

The speeds you are seeing, where upload is much faster than download, are typical of a very congested sector.  With the Pixel XL and Pixel you have 3-way Carrier Aggregation and bands 2, 4, & 12, so in theory, you should be getting all T-Mobile's available capacity in that sector. Where were these readings made (inside, outside) Zip Code? 

• dragon1562

LTE is simply the wireless technology being used but the actual data speed you will receive varies greatly. It honestly looks like congestion but the best way to find out is to do a speedtest during off peak hours to compare speeds. You could also use a app like LTE discovery to see what band you are connecting to. Frequency makes a huge difference as well. Anywho I would call in to T-mobile and file a service complaint to let them know about the issue in your market specifically after collecting a bit more information before filing the ticket.

• jenkweb

Same issue here since I joined over a year ago. After all this time I don't know why I am paying for LTE when speeds have never gone over 0.5mbps anywhere in this area. I feel its a bit of a ripoff to promise LTE and consistently never deliver. Just keep reporting issues to support, they might request upgrades but in my experience it doesn't ever get better. Verizon in same area is significantly faster and is real LTE (carrier before I joined tmobile). Good luck.

• drnewcomb2

jenkweb, if you'd let us know where you're located and what phone you're using, we might be able to help you. There are some areas where T-Mobile has some serious bandwidth issues. Chicago, inside the loop, is probably at the top of the list. Parts of L.A. and NYC also have issues. T-Mobile is moving PDQ to add new spectrum in NYC, having helped the incumbent TV stations to repack to new channels to clear 600 MHz for use there. They're also testing 5 GHz, band 46, augmentation for faster downloads in congested areas. I know it doesn't help today. They are dealing with the results of their success in gaining new customers.  

• jenkweb

Thanks for your reply. Congestion is consistent zip 98032 Kent valley. Iphone 7 plus. I was told upgrades would take place last year but I never saw improvement. Paying the same rate as users posting speeds of 70mbps or more can get frustrating after a year of dealing with this. I’ll open another ticket this week but I’ve been down that road before. I’ll try again though. Thanks.

• drnewcomb2

I can't think of any good reason why you'd have poor performance there. The iPhone 7+ should have all the necessary bands and 3CA. T-Mobile has a total of 46 MHz of deployable download bandwidth in King Co. with 15 MHz more on the way. Only two thing I could think of 1) I've heard stories about some iPhones seemingly getting stuck on band-12. This would greatly decrease your available download speeds. This would be apparent if another customer with a different phone has good performance while yours is slow. Rebooting the phone might help. 2) Parts of WA can be pretty NIMBYish and T-Mobile may have some trouble adding new sites to spread the load around. For that you'd need to be aware of zoning issues in your area.

• jenkweb

Yeah its crazy eh. I've been through support mill, they were fully aware its bad. Its not the phone because other areas the speed does get significantly better, near Seattle for example and east of here. I ran some tests roaming around in the parking lot this afternoon on a nice clear day and full bars.Here's the reality of the tmobile 'lte' network for me:

tmospeedtest1.jpgtmspeedtest2.jpg

• dragon1562

One thing I would suggest as well is testing other servers. I like to use Okla speed test since there is alot more options.I would also still suggest speaking to others with other devices. Just because your speeds improve with that device goes to another area does not mean it could not be the problem. A perfect example, is when I am at state college,PA. I have a GS8 and a Iphone 8+ and the GS8 regularly outperforms the iphone by about 15-20mb on the download. Nothing changed with the exception of device.