Samsung Note 8 update to Android 8.0

magenta4621190

I just talked to T-Mobile Customer Service about why I can't update my Samsung Note 8 phone to Oreo Android 8.0, then they transfer me to Tech Support, they didn't know, then they transfer me to T-Mobile's Samsung tech support.  They told me that April 1 release of Oreo to Note 8 was fake news.  According to T-Mobile's Samsung tech support, that T-Mobile has yet come out with a Oreo update for Note 8.  So I guess we just keep on waiting.

All replies

• jb1977

Re: Samsung Note 8 update to Android 8.0

That's bs!Before I did a warranty exchange I received the oreo upfate on my note 8 but I have yet to receive it on my replacement. It' almost like they pulled the update for some reason.

• magenta4621190

Well I understand, but when I call T-Mobile.  They are clueless.  They can't find it anywhere that there is an update to Oreo

• magenta4621190

I have a feeling that T-Mobile for whatever reason pull the update.  That is why your husband got the update and you didn't.  But T-Mobile is not saying anything.  And their tech support don't have an answer either.   I can't believe that with the current technology that it would take over 10 days to update everyone's phone.   Even like you said based on IMEI, then our phone was purchased when they first came out.  We should received the update by now.  So unless T-Mobile comes out and tell us that they pull the update.  No one would know what is going on.

• androidz32015

I posted a reply to a person that put April fools Oreo a few ago, I got mine at 10 pm Easter Sunday, but was a April fools, my note8 is all jacked up after 6 days with Oreo 8.0, I did speak with a tech supervisor and they told me.... quote n quote that Samsung has pulled the Oreo for the second time due to the s8 and s8+ and now note 8 oreo issues and are supposed to rollout a Oreo 8.1 version with april or he said may security patches???? Hmmmm we'll see on that, be glad like I told the other person at least you didn't a April fools update like I did, mine was on 7.1.1 since August 25th when I got it from preorder and never a issue till April 6th all heck broke loose. Hopefully your going to to the 8.1 rollout and me to to fix the nasty glitchy 8.0. ...all we can do is hang loose and see but at least your 7.1.1 isn't glitchy like orr o 8.0 I wanted Oreo so bad and ya I got it the 1st but I bit off more than I can chew, I wish I can spit Oreo out and go back to 7.1.1 till 8.1 rolls out,  cross our fingers there.. t mobile is right on 8.1

My husband and I both have Note 8s. His got the update almost a week ago and mine still doesn't show an update is available (still running 7.1.1). Call tech support and was told they were rolling out the updates by IMEI and could take the rest of the month to complete but this website says the updates are complete. Need a way to manually push/pull updates. Tech support recommended trying smartswitch through computer but no updates recognized there either...

• jb1977

Its a shame that I had to update via odin!Smh

• magenta4656201

Their own support site references it.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-36189

• jb1977

That's not true

I used to root every phone that I have.You do not have to root ro use odin.Its a tool for samsung phones.All you have to do is go into download mode plug your phone in and place the files in the right place in odin.Its that simple.

• magenta4660930

They did me the same way. Spent an hour trying to get the OTA to show that I had an update and trying to find it after installing Samsung Switch. I spoke to 4 or 5 people. One was someone they transferred me to who I believe was from Samsung. Truth is, the update was never sent to me by T-Mobile and isn't posted anywhere. They're giving me the runaround. I'm wondering if they want to send it first to people who purchased their phones from T-Mobile before people who purchased from Samsung or other sellers. Why they can't tell you that is beyond me. I'm hoping they aren't as lost as they appear to be when you call for help. Poor customer service. No matter what, they should be honest. Think of how much time they're wasting with calls and complaints. They have changed.

• magenta4621190

There is nothing wrong with customer service.  It's their marketing and public relations department that is mess up.  They tell the news outlets that they are updating the phone, but in reality their tech department is not yet ready for the release.  So they just send out few of them so they can claim they are doing it.  My feeling it is going be few months before they actually pushing the update in all T-Mobile phones.

• redyxz

Hi All:

Seems like there is a lot of confusion on the OREO update for the T-Mobile Galaxy Note8.

Let me see if I can clear things ups. See below:

From T-Mobile Support:

Software updates: Samsung Galaxy Note8

Identify the device's current software version

Android 8.0/Baseband N950USQU3CRC2

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
                            2. Tap Settings > About phone > Software version.
                            3. Scroll to the Baseband version field.
                            4. Review the information in the Review software version details

Android 7.0/Baseband N950USQU3BRA9

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
                            2. Tap Settings > About phone.
                            3. Scroll to the Baseband version field.
                            4. Review the information in the Review software version details

Disclaimer:  I am not a bot.  I do not work for T-Miobile or any of their affiliates.  I like dogs better than cats, it's just my opinion.

@magenta4621190 @androidz32015magenta4621190

• snailsamsung

You are right.

Its a lie, T-Mobile has not released the Oreo update yet. People saying they got the update are all internal people spreading false news. I have asked dozens of T-Mobile branded Note 8 users, none of them have yet got the update. Some unlocked Note 8, purchased directly from Samsung, are the only ones getting the updates since April 1. NOT THE T-MOBILE BRANDED ONES.

Basically, T-Mobile sucks when it comes to software upgrades and patches. Buying a phone for a grand and getting this poor updates is horrible. Check out the latest security patch, it is January 2018. Android has released few more security updates since then, but T-Mobile is sleeping.

I have no relationship to tmobile other than as a customer and my husband's note 8 was updated almost 2 weeks ago. Mine has not yet been updated tho. Repeated queries of tmobile results in the same response... The rollout is slow and may take a month or more. One guy suggested looking at Samsung kies but I haven't tried to look that up yet. My husband's update has been a bit buggy so not sure I'm in as much of a rush that I was originally 

• magenta4660930

I believe that if the Build Number on your phone ends in "... BRA9", the update hasn't been sent to you. Okay. My phone works great with 7.1.1 and I can wait if the update isn't working as it should.

I just wish that Customer Service wouldn't have told me that I should have it and then forward me multiple times to get it. Spoke to 4 TM people and none seemed to know that it wasn' available for my phone. So much frustration and wasted time. I should be able to call T-Mobile and not get "the runaround" all the time.

I hope that they are better with everyone getting Android P. It should be released soon.

• redeli

I GOT OREO.. NOTE 8  

• blackbriar2008

Still no update here too with BRA9 either.

• snailsamsung

People saying they got Oreo are either ones with the unlocked version bought from Samsung or mistaken. My friends with unlocked non-carrier branded Note 8, all got Oreos too.

In my opinion, why would Tmobile send you Oreo update and take even a small cut in profitability by selling a little less Galaxy S9, that comes with Oreo out of the box. Think about it. This is US, only money is what matters to businesses and that's exactly why they are in business in the first place. Also, Samsung has long standing record of releasing updates first to unlocked phones and then later to provider branded phones for obvious partnership related arrangements.

I think Oreo for Tmobile carrier branded phones will be at least a month or two from now, after S9 sales cools down.

• 2010mcs871

my brother has the S8+ and i did his OTA update to oreo less than 2 weeks ago. us with the note 8's not getting it is messed up. i check several times a day

"The device is up to date"  grrrrrrrrrr

• dfreezy

Just found this thread. I've been checking the other 'No oreo update yet for note8' thread while also waiting for my update, but pretty much same amount of misinformation or lack of information there as well.  I can say for sure that it is not something simple like 'BRA9 doesn't get it' or 'unlocked phones don't get it'.  I have seen people get it with locked, unlocked, BRA9 baseband, and earlier and later basebands, and some people with identical configs not get it. 

It seems likely that T-mobile rolled out updates according to some semi random method or a method we don't know, like EMEI digits or something, and has either stopped rolling them out or is just going very slowly. I guess it is possible that there is a '8.1' rollout coming, but if that is the case I haven't seen any proof and it seems like more of a rumor than anything, as there is nothing on the forums about such a release and a friend who works at T-mobile also has confirmed there is no knowledge of this by any employees in customer service at least, and not even any rumors of it inside the company. It sounded good though, and i hope it turns out to be true!

I also wanted to add some clarification for people who were asking about Odin earlier in the thread.  These are the facts about using Odin, as can easily be verified on XDA..

You do NOT need root to use Odin to update your Note8, and there are downloads available if you want to do this. I have used Odin and you can follow the instructions and easily update your phone by this method, but your phone MUST be unlocked!  If you are paying off your phone still (as I am) and bought it from t-mobile, your phone is not unlocked and you cannot use Odin to update.  If your phone is paid off you T-mobile will allow you to unlock your phone and there is a tool available for doing so from t-mobile, then you can use Odin and get Oreo. 

Meanwhile, the rest of us must wait.  One question I have not been able to answer is whether anyone has done a factory reset to see if this allows the update.  T-mobile has suggested to people that this could help you get the update, but I havne't found anyone who has tried it and either failed or succeeded, and I REALLY don't want to try it myself! Anyone bored enough to try?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, all.

I'm so sorry our team didn't notice this thread sooner, and I wish I was checking in here with better news.

The Note 8 update to Oreo has been temporarily paused. I'm sorry we're getting you these details so late in the game -- our teams learned late last week that the update was launched on 4/1/2018 as expected but then was subsequently held on 4/3/2018. We don't have a set date at this point for when the update will be fixed and pushed, but we're hoping it won't take too much longer. A contact who works with Samsung reached out yesterday to let us know so we could pass the word on, and please know I speak for all of us when I say we wish we'd been able to pass the word on sooner. I understand that based on the experiences you're sharing here our frontline teams may not be caught up on the details yet -- I'm so sorry for any inconvenience or time we've taken up trying to walk through updates with customers over the past few weeks.

We've had a few other threads on this topic crop up, and to keep things tidy we're driving that traffic to this consolidated thread. That way we can make sure that if we do get more details, we're able to share them in one place.