no hotspot/tethering option in settings

tydenton68

i bought a new phone with an unlimited simple mobile plan just to use it as a hotspot.   there is no hotspot and tethering option under settings.  the phone is a samsung on5 and the plan is a prepaid plan.  did i waste over 100 dollars

it is also incredibly hard to find answers here.  no matter what i use to search, its all the same topics.

and please dont show me pics, and say click the hotspot and tethering under settings.  its not there.  how to get it there is the question.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: no hotspot/tethering option in settings

Hmm, that's really strange you're not seeing that option. I'm only seeing the option to use a USB cord to tether. If you plug in the device to your computer and check the option again, do you see it there? You may want to give the phone a restart and try again to see if it shows up.

• tydenton68

no.  plugging into my laptop doesn't give me any more options.  i have restarted.  ive reset to factory settings.  nothing.  ive tried downloading hotspot apps.  they do not work either.  even the ones that say they will with no rooting.  others tell me i need to root the phone.  i dont want that.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that's super weird! I wouldn't suggest rooting either but I personally haven't heard of this option being just completely missing. When you did the reset, did you test the device out without restoring any personal or 3rd party downloads first?

• tydenton68

I reset the day after I purchased the phone since the hotspot option didn't

show up on setting.  I didn't download any apps but how do you skip

personal information since the phone goes automatically into that after the

factory reset.  That was last week sometime before I posted this problem

• tmo_marissa

I am totally stumped, tydenton68. I checked out Simple Mobile's plans page and I can see that some plans do list their services as being "Mobile Hotspot Capable", and I did find this page for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy On5: Smartphone Mobile Hotspot: Samsung Galaxy On5, and found those steps in the User Manual as well -- so it seems like as long as you have a plan that allows this and a T-Mobile branded On5 (I'm assuming as much since you're posting here!) that this shouldn't be a problem!
                        If the option isn't showing in Settings at all, even after a factory reset, I think this might be a device issue. Where did you purchase the phone? Is it still under Warranty? Have you had a chance to reach out to Samsung to discuss this?

• tydenton68

well, i believe i know part of the problem now.  either T-mobile isnt allowing the $50 dollar unlimited data, talk and text to have wifi or tracfone (the service T-mobile uses for its prepaid plans) isnt allowing it.  so doesnt put it on phones.  the phone came in a simple mobile/T-mobile box.  the plan was a simple mobile/T-mobile plan.  but it uses tracfone to do everything.

after downloading over 40 different hotspot apps, i found one that will actually get my phone to broadcast a wifi router signal.  pdanet.  i can connect my laptop to it but i get no internet.  so i downloaded the app on my computer and used the tethering option.  this time, my browser on my laptop popped up on the tracfone page and said i was out of data.  yet the plan says its hotspot capable and my data is unlimited.

so i guess i got ripped off and wasted my money.  i will try a different company now.

• tmo_marissa

I hope that's not the ultimate result! Have you tried working with SimpleMobile to see what light they might be able to shed on this? It is Simple Mobile, not Simply Prepaid, right?

• tydenton68

yes, it is simple mobile.  they dont have any answers either.

i spent some time playing with the PDAnet app.  i found there is a wps button you have to click, after a 2 minute wait, then you have internet.  part of their free version limitation.

why my phone doesnt have the hotspot in settings is mystery.  and why all those other apps didnt work is a bigger one.  but i at least have wifi on my phone now.

• tmo_marissa

Aaah, gotcha. So just to clarify, Simply Prepaid is a T-Mobile pay in advance product, but Simple Mobile on the other hand is a separate company that uses T-Mobile's network. I know you can Bring Your Own Phone to Simple Mobile, and a T-Mobile phone would be network compatible, but there might be some compatibility issue preventing this option from showing up when you're using a TMO phone with SM. Just out of curiosity, if you're using a T-Mobile branded phone on Simple Mobile, do you have a friend with T-Mobile whose SIM you could try? I'm wondering if you inserted a T-Mobile SIM in your phone, you might see if the hotspot option shows up.

Either way, I'm super sorry to read that you haven't heard back from Simple Mobile yet. I wonder if they'd be able to shed some light on what's happening, and whether it's expected. I took a closer look at their plans page again today and I'm still seeing what you are -- that the plans say "Mobile Hotspot Capable" -- today I did notice that at the bottom of the page it says that "Tethering to another device is prohibited", but still I'd think that doesn't rule out the hotspot. I'm wondering if the inclusion of the word "capable" instead of saying outright that the plan "includes mobile hotspot" is a signifier that there might be compatibility issues?

It is good to read that you were able to find something that worked for WiFi on your device, though! At least that is one step in the right direction!