Branched to a new discussion.

MobileData shortcut is missing

wael.seghir

hello,

I am using a T-Mobile Samdung S7 Edge ( single SIM Card ) model SM-G935T with Android 7.0 Nougat.

the phone is T-Mobile but I am in Tunisia and I am using a tunisian SIM Card now.

when I scroll down the menu of shortcuts I can see all of them : Wi-Fi, Lampe, NFC, Bluetooth, Sound... but only MobileData shortcut is missing and cannot been added even when I try to modify that menu, it doesn't exist there with the other options.

I did some research on the net and I found that a lot of users are complaining from this issue too with T-Mobile.

I already contacted the Samsung company since I thought it is maybe an update problem but they told me to contact you directly because it is related to you and you can make this change in the personalised system that you have in the next update.

Could you please give me a solution to add the MobileData shortcut to the menu like Wi-Fi and Sound? because honnestly that starts to make me unconfortable.

thank you in advance

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: MobileData shortcut is missing

Wow, that's super odd, but we wanna help out with this as best as we can. Just so I'm on the same page, it's just the shortcut that's not there? Do you have the option to get to Mobile Data through the settings of the phone? Also, have you only seen it disappear since you put in the Tunisian SIM card?

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm, interesting. You don't have any 3rd party data applications that you've downloaded to the phone do you? If you try changing the shortcuts, does it allow you to swap out for other apps other than the mobile data?

• wael.seghir

no I don't have any 3rd party application.

and yes I can swap and modify all the other shortcuts, I can see all of them in the list except for mobiledata.

I am a computer technician by the way so I know what I am doing exactly, and even when took a look in the systems file and I found the line about the shortcuts I found all of them only mobiledata doesn't exist (CSCFeauture_systemconfig...) something like that was the line in the file named "Other" you know what I mean and where did I search in the system?

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. I'm familiar with what you're talking about, but I'm sure you're gonna be a lot more knowledgeable about that than me in that area. Our scope doesn't really go into the system file configuration. If that's supposed to be a shortcut, then resetting the phone would be the next steps. I did check through user guide and didn't see a list of apps that can be set up as shortcuts, but I'd think this one would be an option.

• thundertiger

There is a way to add it back in without hacking or rooting the phone.  If you are familiar with using ADB command line then it is easy to add back.  The tile will disappear again if another OS upgrade gets installed as it seems that Tmobile did remove the tile in their version.

Read the following webpage carefully.  I have personally done this on my Tmobile branded Samsung S8 Active.  I went through and enabled all tiles first so I could retrieve all the tiles that are available and save the output.  Because if you mistype the command to add tiles back in you could loose all the tiles.

How to Restore the Mobile Data and Mobile Hotspot Quick Settings Toggles on Samsung Galaxy Devices

I will make one change to the last command that 'adds' the mobile data tile back in.  You do not have to type in the entire list again.  One of the people in the comments on that webpage came up with this command which is so much easier.  It is as easy as typing this command to add the mobile data tile.

settings put secure sysui_qs_tiles "$(settings get secure sysui_qs_tiles),MobileData"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • wael.seghir

hello,

thank you very much thundertiger I did it with adb you saved me       .

@tmo_mike_c I hope you impliment this in your next update to not loose the modification done after each update and thank you for your time

thanks everyone who helped me

• tmo_mike_c

I am still working with my internal teams on this one. I will update them on the solution you found from thundertiger . This is really interesting and I think our team could find this very useful.

• wael.seghir

hello,

if you want i can attach you printscreens where you can change it exactly in the system files. just a suggedtion if it may help you. ☺☺☺

thank you

• tmo_mike_c

If you don't mind, that would be great! Honestly, this could be helpful for other folks as well as curb my own personal curiosity!

• tmo_mike_c

Hey wael.seghir .

Were you able to get screenshots of where you changed it? I think they could be really helpful so if you can, share it, please do. Thanks!

• wael.seghir

hello,

Sorry for the delay I got involved in some work that took all my time those days.     

@tmo_mike_c : I have two solutions, the first one is for the user that can do it every update because after every update he will loose the changes he did in the system but the configuration will not take more than 5 minutes even for a newbie. And the second solution is for you as developpers, I have the solution that you can impliment in the system for the next update to be official but all other users and I cannot do it because it will appear an error message saying that we need administrator rights to do the modifications which you have as system admin and developpers.

So what solution do you want? the first one for users, or the second one for developpers, or both of them?

thank you and sorry again for the late, I apologize for this inconvinience.

Waiting for your answer I wish  you a nice day.

• tmo_mike_c

Okay so here's what I found out. They way Samsung's written their user guide, they only mention that you can change shortcut settings but they don't list specifically which ones they allow. We've looked at a few Samsung devices and we're not seeing this a setting you can change on other phones including the newer models. This would totally need to be something changed in a software update, but I don't have any info saying that'll happen. I wish I had better news, but I did bring up what you've mentioned here to my larger team and passed along what you've discovered.