SLOW 4G LTE

la'montdavis

Have you all noticed how long,how many people are having the same issue with slow LTE?

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: SLOW 4G LTE

Well there are different reasons to why people may experience slow LTE. First and foremost it is location based. Where are you located that is effected by slow LTE speed? What phone are you using as well? Many people that have issues ether have a old device or a device that does not support the network. T-mobile overall has some of the best LTE speeds across the carriers.They also have some really good network management policies that are quite generous to the majority of users. Please let me know if you need more help/info as I would be happy to provide it to you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • la'montdavis

Brand new note 8

Newly added service

I get 1 to 3 speeds till 9,10pm then maybe 20 to 30 for about an hour

Tmobile said all that you said

I explained the same

Then they blamed it on congestion,this I felt should be said up front

And why and are paying so much for congested service?

Shouldn't they transfer us to a suitable tower?

And why would they continue to sell this ?

Funny how the cashier couldn't get more the 4

I live right with thier tower ,yes,it's in our court yard

I think we need to voice this ,I have an idea

• dragon1562

Was this supposed to be written as a poem or something? Anywho I have been in your position before and the best thing you can do is call in and file a service ticket. Also check the coverage map to see what type of service you should be expecting in your location. If you want to get more detailed you can enter this code on the dial pad of your note 8 and it will put you into service mode to see what you are connecting to and give a more accurate reading of the signal. The code is without () is (*#0011#). Also for your house if you have a WiFi connection you can rely on it as a short term solution for the less than stellar service.

I wanted to ask what plan you have with T-mobile? As well as ask you if the speeds were any better if you run the tests outdoors instead of inside? If they are better outside than a booster may help in your case and as a postpaid customer you can get one for free.

Sorry for all the questions at one time, just trying to get a better idea of the situation and see what solutions there are for both the short and long term. Hope this information is found to be helpful to you.

• la'montdavis

No, just like to space things out for easy reading

Inside outside same speeds

55+ plan with and added line including the unlimited lte data add on

Few tickets put in and it seems not to help as they close them out while I'm still with issue

They suggested the extender/booster and wanted a deposit,which can be refunded once it's returned

Seems tmoblie with just continue to sell service with this flaw in fast speed consistency

So I'm looking into starting a petition

I'll try the code ,thanks

• dragon1562

If you can as well please run a speedtest using the Okla app form the Google play store. It will give us a better representation of the speed being received. Its worth pointing out that if you are trying to Hotspot that data is throttled to 3g on that plan and is the reason for slow speed and if you are streaming video it comes in at 480p by default. Although you mentioned a add on is it the one plus add-on? I am just curious.

• la'montdavis

Yes ,the 25$ unlimited data

• dragon1562

Thanks for posting this. Speeds definitely are not stellar, I am with you on that one but they also are not horrible per say. Ping time is still low which is more important for a lot of things than overall bandwidth. Based off the information thus far I am leaning to it being a issue of congestion, however I am not certain yet. Continue to run speedtests throughout the day to see if there is a dramatic fluctuation. If you use the Ookla speedtest app you will be able to test other servers as well. Also if you use the code I mentioned earlier it should show you what bands your phone is connected to and if it is a 5x5 block or 10x10 and so on. Please let me know when you get a chance to do this.

• magenta4569495

Thanks for the info. I'm having the same issues with fluctuations in speed from .4 to 5.5. When I called they did nothing but tell me I'm being throttled down. I have plus one unlimited plan and should not see .4, .9, 1.7, 4.4, to 5.5 within one minute.

I'm not in a high congested area and all streaming should be free but obviously not. Now what?

• la'montdavis

I'm asking around to find out how to start a petition, and perhaps a class action lawsuit ,due to false advertising

• dragon1562

Not to be a Debby downer but what exactly are you going to sue over? T-mobile like the other carriers can not guarantee you a specific speed but a range of potential speeds. Now there is a average that most people see and I believe last time tests were done by 3rd party companies like Rootmetrics it was around 22mb download or something like that. Any way I want to link a important bit of info from this page from T-mobile and then I will link the URL.

Company Information | T-Mobile’s Broadband Internet Access Services

4G LTE Network (On-Device):

• Download speeds: Typically between 7 – 40 Mbps, with peaks up to 90 Mbps and minimum expected speeds of less than .1 Mbps
                                  • Upload speeds: Typically between 4 – 20 Mbps, with peaks up to 35 Mbps and minimum expected speeds of less than .1 Mbps
                                  • Latency: Typically between 30 – 55 ms

4G LTE Network (Via Smartphone Mobile HotSpot/Tethering, for Plans Including 4G LTE Tethering):

• Download Speed: Typically between 3 – 25 Mbps, with peaks up to 90 Mbps and minimum expected speeds of less than .1 Mbps
                                  • Upload Speed: Typically between 2 – 10 Mbps, with peaks up to 35 Mbps and minimum expected speeds of less than .1 Mbps
                                  • Latency: Typically between 30 – 55 ms
                                • dragon1562

Hi so it is hard for me to tell you anything specific with slow little information. For starters what device are you using? Is it a device bought through T-mobile or did it come from another carrier? When you are seeing these speeds is it over normal cellular use or when using a Hotspot? Are speeds like this happening both indoors and outdoors? How much data have you used this month?

Sorry for just back to back questions but a lot can go into the speed you receive. Plus lets say speed is better outside there are some proposed solutions I can give you but its a case by case basis kind of thing.

• magenta4569495

Thanks for the reply. I have an sg5 and this is for the hotpot unable to use sling streaming. Can't seam to open a movie. It will stream live tv 24/7 but looking at the connection speed it's all over the pkace. Tried fixing this through tmobile but they just keep saying I'm being throttled down even when the account is renewed each month. I can only open 30 minute shows once in a while. I want to be able to use the full service but can't get tmobile to even talk about fixing it.I see tons of complaints and just thinking it's best to move on from tmobile if they won't address the issue.

If I'm being throttled down, then sling would not run at all. It's uploading a video/movie that I can't do at all. Sling says it's tmobile and they say it's sling or I'm being throttled down.

So what are your indoor ideas? I havery the highest unlimited package with them I could get. I live in a small town and have been told I should never be throttled down...that's only for big cities. Just got off messenger with another customer service person who tried to get me to download a speed test even though they said they throttled me down. Wow not much common sense to do a speed test if you've slowed down my service. No mention of ping test or booster or the dial this number to test connection.

Seiously sick of the horrible horse blinders the customer service script readers are doing.

• dragon1562

I was going to say if speeds are better outdoors then a booster should improve things dramatically. I also wanted to mention that you have a older phone that does not fully support the T-mobile network which could be another reason for the slower speeds. You are not being throttled that is for sure if you have the highest data plan but it is worth mentioning that when you do hotspot that data is treated slightly differently. Normal phone utilization gets priority on the network so hotspot data is de-prioritized. If there is a issue with congestion you would be the first to notice when using hotspot data. I can't confirm this to be the case though until you run some tests. Download Ookla speedtest app from the play store. Run 3 speed tests out side of your home and then three inside. Post the speed you are getting both for the download and the upload and the ping(latency). Then set up your hotspot and run the test again two more times. If there is a significant difference in speed then there is your answer.

By the way to clarify why the booster may help your situation let me explain what it does. In short it takes the signal that is outside and literally repeats it inside of your home. Building can cause interference with and network to varying degrees which in turns effects performance negatively. If signal is already strong inside the home however and speeds are basically the same outside then it won't do anything to help.

Also one last thing if you could be so kind enter this code on the dial without the brackets() the code is (*#0011#) it will bring up a service mode screen with some information about what you are connecting to and the actual signal strength and such. Please feel free to screenshot it and upload here for a better idea of service being received. To screen shot just press the power button and home button at the same time.

Thank you and I'll do my best to help you get some form of resolution. Hopefully you will not need to leave T-mobile as that can be a real pain

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                            • magenta4569495

Ok thanks. I will do this in the next couple of days and also when my bill renews. I will get back to you over the next week and post results. I appreciate your help and advice.

• dragon1562

No problem, I look forward to hearing from you and working with you in the future.

• jm5119

In my case, I always get low bandwidth 2G Edge connection wherever I have been. I am on $45 prepaid plan, with more than 3.5GB of LTE data balance.

Before you ask me to check the cellular network setting, it is set to 'LTE/WCDMA/GSM Auto' on my device(Lenovo K6 Power)

So where i have been in the past couple of weeks it is always on 'Edge'.

Could you please let me know, what is happening here?

• dragon1562

Your issue is a matter of hardware. The phone you are using was not intended for use inside the USA and only supports one band that is used in a few markets for T-mobile of LTE. Which is band 5. T-mobile useing bands 2,4,5,12,66, and 71 on its network. Bands 2,4, and 12 are the most important ones to have support for at this time since that is about 85% of the network coverage. This is why you always have edge, although it is also worth looking at the coverage map area to see what you should be expecting. 4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

• dragon1562

I forgot to add this but I wanted to further explain. Below I copied the band support directly from Lenovo website. You will see the reason you are able to get service is because it does support band 2 for 2g  and some 3g. The place you are at now however probably has that band re-farmed mostly for LTE. I also looked at a few other sites to be sure all game to this device.

Lenovo K6 Power | Octa-core Smartphone with 13 MP Camera | Lenovo India

• 4G Network: FDD LTE Band 1/3/5/7/8/20 | TDD LTE Band 38/40/41
                                                            • 3G Network: WCDMA Band 1/2/5/8
                                                            • 2G Network: GSM Band 2/3/5/8
                                                              • jm5119

If it helps, I am at NJ and the zip is 07047.

Also, on some of the calls, the caller is NOT able to hear me and on those calls I can hear them. Some calls come good. But it is kinda 50-50 and frustrating.
                                                                The data as i said is always 2G. I had been to NYC, and even there it was 2G, even when settings were for LTE.

• dragon1562

Well yes it does help but like I stated earlier it is your phone it is not ment for US use. In the previous two posts I explained why.

• jm5119

Has something changed with t-mobile now. The same phone last year, with the exact same plan at this very place was working fine.

• dragon1562

T-mobile constantly does upgrades to the network. It is possible that the tower you were connecting to had spectrum running on band 2 for its legacy HSPA+ network which would display as 4g but not LTE. They more than likely re-purposed it for LTE like they have in many markets and as such your phone now drops down to 2g. Like I said its a phone issue in your case and not the network. If you don't believe me ask someone else on T-mobile to stand in the same location as you and I am sure they will have LTE while you have 2g. You may have also connected to LTE on band 5 but that is very rare.

• jm5119

So what do you suggest I do? Is there any way I can make this phone work on LTE and also NOT drop calls OR changing the phone is the only option to make this issue go away!

Please advise!

• dragon1562

Changing the phone is your only option. There are plenty of budget friendly options that will both give you better performance on the network and overall phone performance.

• tmo_chris

dragon1562 dropping all the knowledge here Just wanted to check in to see if anyone still had any questions. 

• tmo_mike_c

I agree. Great working with all the help dragon1562! Did anyone have any additional questions?

• bh1948

Find a way to turn off Band 12 for example.This can be done on Samsung models by entering *#*#2263# , then follow the band info. or email me@

REMOVED PERSONAL INFO - TMO_CHRIS