Am I being scammed?

laney_h

I have been using iPhone with Verizon since 2006 ... in 2017 I tried T-Mobile, but they gave me an iPhone that did not work. They offered to replace it, but NO ONE EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RETURNING THE BROKEN PHONE. I received the new phone--with no request to return the old one, and meanwhile the broken phone ended up in an electronics graveyard somewhere. Now they're saying they are going to track it using some "Handset Research" method and then they'll credit my account when they find it. What kind of bulloney is that?? T-Mobile is a communications company who has the ability to communicate with customers via phone, email, or text yet NOT ONCE did ANYONE, EVER communicate their expectation for me to return the old phone. I feel like I'm being scammed and when I call I get someone in the Philippines who keeps me on the phone for an hour and can't even let me talk to a manager!!

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Am I being scammed?

Its pretty much common practice to return the defective device when claiming warranty and is listed in the T&C. Did they send a return shipping label or a email about one or anything that you may not have noticed?

• laney_h

They did not send a shipping label or provide an address or I would have known to return it. It was never brought up.

• tmo_chris

I am so sorry for the confusion! When doing an exchange, we do expect to receive the defective device back. We send a return shipping label with the replacement and there are several notifications sent via SMS to your phone number letting you know to return your phone.

I am assuming you were charged a non return fee and this fee is valid if the device is not returned. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you

Do you happen to know where the phone is at this point? We typically only do a handset research form when you have returned the device but we are unable to locate it.

• laney_h

tmo_chris Thank you for your reply. Although, if you expect to receive the device back, I would expect that someone would have communicated that so there was a mutual understanding and I would have known to return it and where. There were no text/SMS messages asking for the return, there was no shipping label sent with the replacement or otherwise--there was no indication whatsoever to suggest the phone should be returned. I had several telephone conversations with T-Mobile leading up to the exchange and it was never once mentioned. Since they say they record phone conversations, TMobile can listen to those conversations to prove it was never brought up. My husband brought the phone to an electronics donation center with a box full of other old/broken electronics.

• magenta4550062

This is T-Mobile, everything they do is a SCAM to get you separated from your money. You'll learn soon enough, you have signed up with the worst cell service provider in toe WORLD. Worst customer service! Worst coverage! Worst fees!

Welcome to hell.