Making a call in Japan

magenta4530457

My family and I have T-mobile ONE plan and I'm going to Japan soon.  I need clarification on making calls.
    When does 20c/min apply?  I'd like to know how it's charged in these cases:
    1) I call my family in US.
    2) My family in US calls me in Japan.
    3) I call my friend in Japan who has Japanese phone number while I am in Japan.
    4) My friend who has Japanese number calls me in Japan.
    I use iPhone.
    I appreciate if someone can explain to me.  Thanks!

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Making a call in Japan

magenta4530457 wrote:

My family and I have T-mobile ONE plan and I'm going to Japan soon. I need clarification on making calls.
        When does 20c/min apply? I'd like to know how it's charged in these cases:
        1) I call my family in US.
        2) My family in US calls me in Japan.
        3) I call my friend in Japan who has Japanese phone number while I am in Japan.
        4) My friend who has Japanese number calls me in Japan.
        I use iPhone.
        I appreciate if someone can explain to me. Thanks!

1) When on WiFi Calling 0¢/min. When on cellular 20¢/min

2) Ditto #1 above. The caller pays nothing extra to call your US-based number.

3) On cellular 20¢/min. If on WiFi Calling it depends on your international calling rate. It's charged like an international call from the US.

4) Ditto #1 above.

Texts are free. Data is free but very slow. Recent iPhones should work well. Read the International Roaming Checklist. Don't be surprised if your phone takes about an hour to register when you first get to Japan.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • magenta4530457

Thank you so much for your reply.  It was very helpful.  I appreciate it.  Since I have Wifi-only iPad too, I'm going to rent a pocket wifi in Japan.
            So I assume if my Japanese friend tries to call me, it's going to be like them calling me internationally from their point of view, right?

• drnewcomb2

That is the way it works in most countries; no local access number. The good news is that it costs less to call the US than to call a Japanese cell phone, so they shouldn't mind too much. In some countries, some carriers will send you a text message telling you that you've been assigned a temporary local phone number for the duration of your visit.  This happened to me in Indonesia. As long as I roamed that carrier, I could give out that number and receive incoming calls on it for free. I don't remember this happening in Japan.

Back when I traveled a lot I subscribed to a service that had toll-free numbers in many developed countries. If someone called the local toll-free number and entered a 6-7 digit pin it would call my phone. I'd give the numbers to my crew and tell them that now there was no reason why they couldn't check in every few hours. That company went out of business. Sad. It was very handy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful