Back up Samsung G530T to pc

magenta4502048

I want to back up my Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime G530T to my pc and/or external hard drive.  Specifically, Contacts, Calendar, Documents, photos.  All my personal data.  How do I do that so I could restore it to my phone if necessary?  Where do I put it on my computer?  Do I need to download software that can help me with that?  Seems like it should be fairly simple but when I went to do it, I was baffled.  I prefer to have it on my computer and my extra hard drive than in the cloud. 

Can I somehow alter the deflault so it backs up to my pc or external hard drive rather than the cloud?

Is this what syncing is?  (I know, a toddler knows more about this than I do.)  Can I sync directly to my pc without going through the cloud?

Also, I have a micro memory card in my phone  Can I back it up to that?

Thanks!

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Back up Samsung G530T to pc

Most of the stuff mentioned should automatically be backed up to your gmail account that you used when setting up your android phone. It will also be backed up to your Samsung account. If you want to back up the information to your computer there is a software for this purpose called Samsung Kies which works a lot like iTunes. You can also just copy the documents straight from the device without this software for the pictures at least. For the calendar you will still need to use Samsung Kies.

I hope that information helped you. If you need further clarification do not hesitate to ask.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • magenta4502048

Thanks dragon1562.  I am trying to avoid the cloud so prefer not to back up to google or Samsung.  I downloaded Kies 3.  When I go to use it I am getting error message "The original 12404 cannot be located in the dynamic link library mfc90u.dll.  Getting stuck there.  There were 2 choices of download for pc, I guess I will uninstall this one and try the other one.  I chose 3.2, will try 2.6.

• magenta4502048

I think the 3.2 version is the same as 2.6.  Getting the same message. 

• dragon1562

Hmm based on Google searching the error, I was brought to this forum The ordinal 12404 could not be located in the dynamic link library - Microsoft Community where the issue got resolved by downloading this Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x86) from Official Microsoft Download Center . I never personally had a issue with kies but it may be worth a shot. You could also work with Samsung on this one. Since it is there software.

• magenta4502048

Thanks again.  Looking at the download you recommended, it was for Windows 8 or 10, but I have 7. I should have mentioned that.  I did download it.  Then I didn't get the error message, seemed to be able to get the whole software.  Kies loaded up but then said it wasn't supporting my phone but I can use the "Smart Switch", the choice other than Kies.  I didn't choose that to begin with because my phone only came with 8Gb memory--I don't have many apps but am loaded to the gills. 

OK. Downloaded Smart Switch to my pc, not to my phone.  I thought I downloaded/copied/ or backed up my data onto my pc.  I watched it go through the cycle:  contacts, calendar...weather app...photos, etc.  I finished that up, unplugged my phone from the computer, then tried to look at the download on my pc.  Couldn't open the Smart Switch.  My thought had been that not only would I be safeguarding my data by making a copy, I would also be able to access it on my computer.  I was able to look at the properties without opening at it and see only 4kb of stuff there!  Doesn't seem like all my data is stored there!  Time for a break.  Back at it tomorrow.

I have a feeling that this can't be done sans cloud.  At least not by an amateur such as me.  I've avoided the cloud like the plague and now with all the Facebook hocus pocus and spiriting away of data, I'm wanting to avoid it like 2 plagues!  Or 1 very virulent plague.

• dragon1562

Awe I am sorry that the my earlier solution did not work out for you. It is worth mentioning that most of the stuff mentioned doesn't actually take up that much storage. Although the file size mentioned is far to small to be 8Gb worth of backups. Like I said for the photos atleast and things like you music you can just copy and past like a normal folder within the phone. Transfer files between your computer & Android device - Android Help  that is a page telling you how to do so, directly from Google. Honestly though the fear of the cloud in my humble opinion is kinda pointless since your stuff is well already there. I am also sure that you have this stuff backed up without realizing it. Oh well hope this solution yields better fruit.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta4502048!

Just wanted to swing by to see if you were able to back-up your device how you were wanting. Let us know if the info that has been provided did the trick.

• magenta4502048

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for asking.  I worked on it one day when Dragon was advising me and have not gotten back to it. 

I was frustrated, it seems like I can't do what I wanted, which is backup directly to my pic without using the cloud and have the data accessible on my pc. 

I can copy my document files and photos, that is easy.  It is my contacts and calendar that I haven't figured out.

I will get back to it.  I had a scare where I thought I'd lost my phone and all that was in it.  Need to get that backup done.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that the thought of losing everything is scary and I certainly hope that hasn't happened. Have you had the chance to back up files? Please let us know.

• dragon1562

Have you had a chance to back everything up. Did you still need help?

• tmo_marissa

LOLing at "1 very virulent plague".
                                          Just wanted to see how things were going for you! Backing up is super important, but it seems like you've been bumping into some less-than-awesome software conflicts. I'm not sure if SmartSwitch will allow you to review the uploaded details from the PC directly. I couldn't find a straight answer in the General Questions about Smart Switch so I decided to try sleuth-chatting on your behalf. I checked in with a very nice Samsung chat rep and it looks like using SmartSwitch for PC will give you the ability to download the content, but the file types can't be reviewed on the PC itself -- it creates a backup so that you can transfer those files to a new phone (I believe that would also have to be a Samsung device, AFAIK the program is proprietary and doesn't work on other manufacturer's equipment).

I know this isn't exactly what you were hoping for, but I figured it was better to have the answer from the source than encourage you to keep trying! Syncing stuff to Google might be the easiest way to back it up if you can overcome the cloud-aversion. :/

• magenta4502048

Oh yeah, it was Kies that I ended up using, not Smart Switch.  It seemed like my PC and phone went through the motions of copying but then the file had nothing in it when I disconnected.

I don't stay signed in @ Google unless I have a specific reason.  I found the email awkward to use so I don't use it for my everyday stuff.  I don't want them collecting my data or metadata.  I'm sure they've got a lot of it anyway.  How can I check Google or Samsung to see if I have a backup there?

When I first got my phone a couple of years ago and was setting it up, I tried to avoid giving permissions to allow any entity that I thought might monitor me.  It was very limiting.  Then a friend who has lots of experience with Samsung smartphones showed me a bunch of things it can do.  I'm pretty sure he agreed to anything that popped up while my phone was in his hand so my avoidance went out the window.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

I see dragon1562 gave some helpful tips here for you. Just wanted to see if you were able to get this resolved. Please let us know.

• magenta4502048

Thanks all for chiming in.  Here's what I understand:

It looks like I can only backup to another phone or the cloud.  I can only access the backup when it is restored on a phone.

Backing up pictures, videos, documents not a problem, I've done that.

Smart Switch is app or software installed on the device receiving the copy.

I'm wondering if I can backup to my old Samsung with the slideout keyboard...

Although apps may take up only a small amount of space, running them requires more.  Everybody and their brother wants me to have their app.  As it is, the 8 Gb on my phone is taken up with a few apps which I actively use, a number I don't but still hold in reserve for special occasions.  I don't have enough leftover memory to update apps without moving things around and lately have to move things around and delete stuff to do an OS update.  I have probably outgrown my phone.

Speaking of the cloud, Are you really telling me "We will all be assimilated.  Resistance is futile."?  I will continue to resist!  It isn't easy, the cloud is probably technologically smarter than I am.  As long as the foxes are designing, programming and marketing, outpacing security and privacy and setting the policies, individuals are up the proverbial creek.

I really do appreciate your assistance.  Thanks especially to Dragon1562 and Marissa for doing extra research for me.   I'll keep looking around a bit but it seems like I may have to backup to the cloud so that I don't have to worry about losing it all.  If anybody finds something out, please let me know!

• dragon1562

No problem and I'll be sure to let you know. Based off of everything you are saying I would agree that your needs probably have outgrown the phone just due to the limited storage. Although the back up options would basically be the same. I wish you luck.