Why did T-mobile mess with V20 bootloader?

enigmaco

I am curious to know why T-mobile decided to change the bootloader for the V20?  I am curious the issues I am having with this phone is because of the tinkering T-mobile did?

All replies

• gramps28

Re: Why did T-mobile mess with V20 bootloader?

Tmobile doesn't make changes to the bootloader are you sure it wasn't an LG update?

I've been getting multiple updates from LG.

• enigmaco

T-mobile did make changes to their bootloader, because in the dev community the t-mobile phone is one of the harder phones to work on vs other V20 phones. 

• tmo_mike_c

We certainly want you to have a better experience with the phone instead of having issues. What kind of problems are you having? There may be some steps we can suggest that'll get the phone to work a lot better for you.

• enigmaco

Well they must be asking lg to do something to these phones  because I finding it odd that there are access issues with the T-Mobile phones vs other v20 phones.  And seeing that it's quite difficult to get a straight answer from either lg or t-mobile about software it's just hard to believe that they are not tinkering with it 

• tidbits

T-Mobile doesn't do anything to bootloaders.

Since the Amaze T-Mobile has been on record saying it's up to OEMs to do what they want to do with bootloaders.  To date they let whatever go.  People blame T-Mobile for bootloaders saying the S6 and newer devices, but if people looked around ALL Qualcomm versions are locked around the world.  HTC which spurred the statement by T-Mobile locked bootloaders, but since then HTC has always had all T-Mobile versions able to be unlocked.  If you look at all LG devices prior to the G5 only the T-Mobile version was always unlocked even though other carrier versions were locked.

OEMs are starting to lock down devices on their own, and T-Mobile being the more liberal carrier when it comes to unlocking OEMs don't want to warranty devices may have put extra steps to make it harder to unlock because from their experiences warrant them to do so.

• enigmaco

I know about other oems locking down their phones  that's one of the reasons why I chose tmobile.. Which is why I was shocked and irritated they went the route they did with this phone.   Guess it more reason to start buying Google phones, and realize that t-mobile isn't being as friendly with their phones as they use to be.  Looks like another issue is the root checker lg has for their phones  appears it doesn't play well with the lg v20.

• tidbits

It isn't T-Mobile not being friendly. Its OEMs. For example why would T-Mobile block the V20 and allow the Z2 Force bootloader to be unlocked?  My bet this has something to do with our government more than OEMs with the whole hell bent on cyber security, but that's another matter...

• enigmaco

Partly T-mobile would make it harder, because they feel rooted users would be causing harm to their networks, that's why they're making it harder.  They are able to control the phones that's originally intended on their networks.  I remember this article and makes sense why its a pita to work on these phones.  I completely understand the reasoning, but annoying to punish all for ill actions from a few.  And upon some more digging I was wrong about the bootloader, looks like they took it a step further and cause blocks deeper in the firmware itself.  Looks like this is their way of combating the data issues on their network.  And its not just LG, my S6 was the same way like you pointed out.  Yeah the whole government cyber security crap is a load of bs, but that's for another board.   Looks like I need to start getting phones not sold through t-mobile. 

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/stopping-network-abusers.htm

• tidbits

Again why allow unlock for the z2 force? Why allow HTC devices, or even Nexus/Pixel devices even giving promos to get them on the network? They have the 50GB depriotization fair use clause which they didn't have before.

• enigmaco

That I can't answer unless I was able to get an answer from the horses mouth, from the research I am gathering it doesn't make sense.  The pixel phones are coming from google with their own software, even on verizons network its all google no carrier interference. 

• tidbits

Yet T-Mobile ran a promo that gave up to 50% back to start an account there. If they didn't want unlocked bootloder devices why run that promo? Z2 Force bootloader can be unlocked. HTC 10 bootloader can be unlocked(same year as the V20).  LG probably has data that shows they warranty for people on T-Mobile bricks their phones and warranty them passing it off as LGs software error.

• enigmaco

Because they're doing tit for tat with Verizon, Verizon had exclusive rights to the Pixel, and since T-Mobile is trying to get the verizon customers they offered that up.  And given the price of the phone and it would either be bought out right or financed through Google the amount of users coming over with those phone, and the amount of users who would root their phones would be minuscule and worth the risk to their network.  Motorola uses different processors and has always been dev friendly, so that's not surprising.  HTC also went on record about being more user friendly as far as rooting goes.  Part of this can be blamed on LG, things with that company currently are a hot mess, and part of the problem could be they screwed something up during the development, which could explain why its been over 18 months without one OS update.  But still doesn't explain the fact why there is more support for other LG V20's vs the T-Mobile version, which is why I feel T-Mobile had something to do with this.

https://lifehacker.com/5806122/future-htc-phones-will-now-be-more-root-friendly

• tidbits

Motorola uses the same processor as everyone else.  It's been snapdragon since Google first purchased them. The Z2 Force has the same processor as the S8. Motorola hasn't always been developer friendly. So because one device doesn't get the support its T-Mobiles fault but when you look at other devices in the same year shows the complete opposite. That right there to me points to LG.

Little tidbits of information. No pun intended. Carriers have nothing to do with updates, and make little to no money selling devices and often take losses selling them. A court case even OEMs, and carriers admitted this. We got diminishing ETFs as a result of that court case. Sony and Google did an AOSP project together and found out carriers average involvement is 2 weeks. The longest delay was always certification from government to licensing/certification of hardware manufacturers. Google made the PDK to reduce the time and further tried to reduce the time with project treble going more modular. I actually recommended this to JBQ when he was the head of Android development.

• enigmaco

I use to root the original motorola droid phones up until the droid 2 global when Texas Instrument abandoned the phone.  By the time the Moto X came around root was less needed for me, but then you have the stunt being pulled currently that makes me want to get back in it as the old saying goes "if you want something done right do it yourself"  I know that carriers hardly make any money on these phones.  Its just like buying a car, there are some losses taken, but they make it back by charging you a arm and a leg by taking it to the dealership to get work done vs taking it to the local mechanic. It's all a numbers game we all know that.  The oems do make the software, but carriers also make request for software for their networks.  I honestly have no clue why the V20 was singled out with these issues there's no rational to it.  Going forward I won't be using LG phones though.  Just going Pixel and bypassing the carriers altogether.

• sslman71

There is always someone to blame. That is why these threads popup.