Samsung S8+ and Oreo - Seriously Aggravating!

tyranitar

Oreo installed on my S8+ on Saturday (3/24/2018)

Hate this update!!! I'd do anything I could to go back to Nougat. Since the update my phone has frozen once, and after about 3 minutes, rebooted on it's own as it was completely unresponsive to any external input. This happened during transition from portrait to landscape in a video. Video played on for about another minute before it stopped too.

Sometimes the hotspot will not activate immediately, it takes additional activations from the phone before it actually decides to turn on.

I run the phone in high performance mode all the time. Now it drains the battery about 30% faster.

When running Pokemon Go the bluetooth connection to the Go Plus will not activate the first time, resulting in a 15 second wait to activate on the second time through.

Facebook Badge notifications are messed up as well as some others that never go away now.

I'm seriously p*ssed off at this. update I'd love to use profanity at this point because it would better explain my feelings about this but... You know - moderators.

All replies

• androidz32015

I've been hearing that a lot about Oreo on the s8 s8+ I been wanting my Oreo for my note 8 still on 7.1.1 and now READING more and your post, I'm thinking twice when I get the update, I put my note 8 not to auto update. My wife nearly updated her s8+ and I showed here the postings on here and NOPE she don't want Oreo till they fix it. I read some answers how to fix that reboot issue, people say clear the catch partition on the s8+??? Well your s8+ still has a warranty, try to do a warranty swap, than they should send you another phone, with 7.1.1 and your good to go, if you have t mobile just call 611 and ask for tech support and tell them all the issues your dealing with and you want a swap out, heck yes that would tick me off to to say words we both can't say here, I'm like you I like to say what's on my mind too, but try a swap out...good luck with your situation it would tick me off big time waiting for a nice update than have it turn to a huge issue....call 611 and get a hold of tech support on that..good luck!!!

• dragon1562

The S8 was on 7.0 Nougat not 7.1.1 just wanted to correct that small issue. Also no reason to warranty to swap when this completely fixable software issue. Just doing a simply factory reset should clear up all the problems or the cache reset.

You have two choices to fix this. One is a factory reset the other method that has seemed to work for many I will paste below.

1. Go to Setting -> Apps, click on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select "Show system apps"
            2. Scroll down and click on "BadgeProvider" app
            3. In app properties, click on "Storage", clear both the Cache and Data.
            4. Shut down the phone and following the directions below to "wipe cache partition".
            5. Wipe cache partition

• Turn off the device.
              • Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
              • When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
              • Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
              • Press the Power key to select.
              • Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
              • When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
              • Press the Power key to restart the device.
              • tyranitar

So I did wipe the cache partition and the freeze failures started occurring more often. After about a week of this I was fed up when I'd had the phone freeze, followed by and auto-reboot 4-times in a period of 6-hours! That is completely unacceptable.

As much as I hated doing it I eventually performed a factory reset on the phone. Odd byproduct of the factory reset is that my phone, which shouldn't be unlocked (yet) is now unlocked, not that I really care that much.

Did it help, yes - somewhat. I think what's going on here is that some applications had customized settings and Oreo tried to accommodate those settings and failed to make the setting changes properly under Oreo. Another example that I was able to pinpoint is Oreo has some new features and a splash screen wants to tell you about the feature but the splash screen is locked in purgatory and can't display - the end result for the phone is that it freezes. I had two areas where that appeared to occur and when I did the wipe suddenly I was presented with a splash screen that I (post reset) was able to acknowledge and the phone continued on as normal.

Mind you It's still not stable. If I have allow portrait to landscape enabled and I have the setting/notifications screen pulled down while in portrait mode, then shift to landscape with a youtube video in the playing it will repeatedly freeze. I've also had it go into delayed response mode, better than a freeze but exactly 15 seconds after the phone fails to respond the phone starts to respond properly again.

Oreo is half baked. I'd request a replacement but my phone is mint/immaculate. There are absolutely no scratches or dings on the phone anywhere. It's been in a Otterbox Defender case since the day I bought it.

I'm very disappointed is this update.

• rangleskov

I'm having the same issues as you.  I'm on S8, not S8+.  Phone runs like crap.  I've turned off auto-rotation to try and keep some of the lag from happening.  But I shouldn't have to do that.

• elkeshannon

I did the update this morning...now after I swipe up from my home screen my screen is black & I can't do anything. Tech support couldn't help & I'm getting a new device delivered to a store on Friday to pick up. In the mean time I've been googling all day at work....I can get my phone to work in 'Safe Mode' only (by powering off, once you see the Android logo, press & hold the volume down button). This suggests (according to what I'm reading online) that an app may be causing the problem - UNLESS firmware is affected - then it says I need to go into a store. I thought maybe some of the apps may not be compatible with the new operating system...So I deleted ALL my apps....phone still only works in safe mode. At least in safe mode I can text, make calls & check my email. When I get my replacement on Friday, I will NOT be installing the OREO UPDATE. I'm wondering if I will be receiving a refurbished phone from Samsung as a replacement.....most likely will...which is extremely aggravating since I just paid $820 for this device 3 months ago. OH, and I'm also required to pay a $5.30 fee when I pick up my replacement. I know it's not much, but I should not be required to pay anything....ridiculous...can't wait to pay for my refurbished phone..

• dragon1562

For your specific case I would try putting the phone into safe mode and seeing if it acts normally. If so then there is a app that is not playing nice that you may have downloaded recently or never got updated to work correctly on the device. If the device still does not feel fluid do a factory reset.

• larryevans342

I just upgrade to Oreo on my S8 plus and my 4G signal strength went from 5bars to 2 to 3 bar strength. My other phone not upgraded has the same signal strength. What's up with this crappy Oreo?

• dragon1562

Signal differences between device is normal and it is possible that the actual signal is the same and was just displayed to differently across the two devices. What is the other phone if I may ask? Maybe it was connecting to another site. Don't blame Oreo yet, not enough info to conclude a real issue. Try running a speedtest on both devices and seeing if results are the same. It would verify that its just a issue of displaying the signal strength and nothing more. You can also restart the phone which will make it reconnect to the network and see if there is a change.

• mwl128

I have the same issue. It is not a display issue, but actually a signal issue. I usually have 3-5 bars in my house. Now I am getting 0-2 bars. My phone has never gone into wi-fi calling before this update. Now it tries to switch and my calls get drop. t-mobile sent me a new sim, but that didn't do anything. They also asked me to do a master reset and it didn't do anything other than loosing a good amount of data and time trying to recover.

One advice, if you do a reset of the phone, us the samsung smart switch to do the backup. It'll save you time and data lose.

Also, I was luck that I don't have any reboots. I have an unlock phone vs. one from t-mobile.