Is pixel 2 compatible with T-Mobile carrier?

magenta4493578

Exactly what I'm asking. It's like TMobile doesn't want me to know and the site is super vague.

Here are the network specs for the pixel 2:

• World-wide network/carrier compatibility with:1
    • GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/HSDPA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8
    • CDMA EVDO Rev A: BC0/BC1/BC10
    • FDD-LTE : Bands 1*/2*/3*/4*/5/7*/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66*2
    • TD-LTE: Bands 38*/40/412
    • Supports up to CAT 15 (800Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL), 3x DL CA, 4x4 MIMO, 256-QAM DL and 64-QAM UL depending on carrier support

From what I could see, it appears that it should be just fine, but I don't want to pay a restocking fee if I need to return the phone. I am in the United States, hope that helps.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

I use the Pixel 2.  It is, indeed, compatible.

Bring your own device setup guide

T-Mobile network bands & technologies

• dragon1562

It is fully compatible. The only thing it is missing is the new band 71 but many device don't have it and most locations won't have it for a while. Enjoy your phone on this awesome network man.

• vagabondking

The Pixel 2 has the hardware for Sprint, T-Mobile/ATT, and Verison.

The Verizon version simply has a customized version of Android OS installed.

Yes, it does not have ALL the bands T-Mobile might use (like many other phones on T-Mobile's network, but there is something else. 

A feature most phones you don't buy from T-Mobile don't have when using T-Mobile. T-Mobile WiFi calling works on T-Mobile with this phone.

My direct from Google Nexus 5 did not.

WiFi calling is especially good for signal strength issues from Cellular coverage. Like a hardened building or a basement or a metal building.

I have 2 Pixel 2's on my account and they not only work really well, the T-Mobile WiFi Calling feature is 100% functional right out of the box!!!

I purchased the phones direct from Google. It even identifies the T-Mobile brand when connected (i.e. "T-Mobile WiFi Calling" is shown on the notification drop down) It was more prominent in Android 8.1 "Oreo", but in version 9 "Pie" it is still visible just not all the time. T-Mobile is a Google Project Fi partner and the phone has the setup ready to go . We travel to areas with patchy coverage for all networks - the mountains in the Carolina's- and the WiFi Calling makes a world of difference at the motels or rentals we stay at. Most have hardwired internet/WiFi available.

Enjoy!

Great camera, unlimited storage in the Google Cloud for phone content, fast/responsive operation on any major network, including Project Fi if you choose,  and really beautiful screen, new Android versions delivered to me first - what's not to like?

If you think you want the Pixel 2 (the 3 is coming soon and Sept/Oct might lead to some discounting by Google) -"Try it you'll like it!"

• smplyunprdctble

vagabondking wrote:

A feature most phones you don't buy from T-Mobile don't have when using T-Mobile. T-Mobile WiFi calling works on T-Mobile with this phone.

My direct from Google Nexus 5 did not.

Yeah -- WiFi Calling wasn't made available until the 5X.

I think it was something to do with the timing of hardware and stuff needed wasn't available in the 5 hardware.  There was talks back when it was going on that the 5 might get WiFi Calling, but for some reason it didn't.  Because it got the same OS update as the 5X which had WiFi Calling, I suspect it was something hardware related.

And, I believe T-Mobile sold the Nexus 5, but it was the same whether it was T-Mobile purchased or Google purchased.  No WiFi Calling.