Nexus 5X and Call Forwarding Menus

drnewcomb2

We have a Nexus 5X which we ported from Project Fi to take advantage of the 55+ plan before the price increase. To get the phone to work with T-Mobile I had to do a network reset but even though it works, the Call Forwarding menu is still missing from the Settings. To see if I could get the menu back I did a complete reset on the phone but the Call Forward menu is still AWOL. (n.b. Project Fi does not use GSM call forwarding and substitutes as forwarding menu in the Fi app.) 

Today I contacted Google Support to find out if there was a way to get the menu back. Their CSR told me that the Call Forward menu was under the control of the carrier and that I needed to contact T-Mobile about it. My reply was that he needed to tell me exactly what I needed to say to T-Mobile because otherwise they'd just say, "Nexus 5X is a BYOD, Good luck with that." At this point he promised to research the issue and call me back.

Now, I do understand that there is some carrier package that gets downloaded and  installed on newer Android phones and what I suspect is that T-Mobile's package has not been loaded. (I'd prefer to believe that T-Mobile would not be so evil and customer hostile as to intentionally disable the call forwarding menu.)  I suspect that this package has not been installed on this phone. What I need to know is if there is any way to get the T-Mobile settings package to reinstall on our phone?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Nexus 5X and Call Forwarding Menus

You might be on to something here drnewcomb2. There is an activation download that is sent to the SIM when the number is activated but I am not sure that it has the call forwarding GUI that you are referencing. I mean, it would not hurt to re-send your SIM all the OTA downloads that we send out normally but I am not 100% positive that it will unlock this ability on your phone.

Just to clarify though, you are able to manipulate call forwarding services using #/* codes still correct? This is just about the phone CF interface?

• drnewcomb2

tmo_chris wrote:

Just to clarify though, you are able to manipulate call forwarding services using #/* codes still correct? This is just about the phone CF interface?

I assume we can use the "hash codes". I have not tried them. I did install the "Advanced Call Settings" app, just in case we never see the menu again, but I have not tested it. The Nexus 5X is my wife's phone and it can be difficult to pry it out of her hands for 20 minutes at a stretch to test things.

So, yes. The issue is that the entire "Call" menu hierarchy, which includes the "Call Forwarding" menu is missing from the UI.

Before we activated that phone on Project Fi, I tested it briefly on T-Mobile and I'd swear that the Call Forwarding menu was there. Of course, that was also a couple of major Android revisions back.

• drnewcomb2

I feel like a total idiot. The Call Forwarding menu isn't in the Settings menu. It's in the menu for the phone dialing app.