Traded in device towards upgrade, but decided I want to return the new device

jrzygirl36

I recently got my Galaxy S9, and I already sent in my qualifying trade in. After using my phone for a few days I've decided I would rather get a different phone. How does that work if they already have my old device? Is there a way to get my old device back? I traded in an Apple iPhone 7 plus, in order to get half off ($360 off after Bill credits) of the Galaxy S9. The iPhone was fully paid off, and the trade in value is only $155, so I will be losing out a lot, because I could have sold that for twice the trade in value.

All replies

• ryokecra125

While the terms and conditions don't address your issue specifically, I think it will go like this. You'll probably have to pay the $50 restocking fee, and then return the phone. The bill credits will stop, but there's no way of knowing whether or not you'll get the $155 one-te credit, or if you'll get nothing. I think you should talk to Customer Care on that one. I'm sorry to hear that you don't like the phone. Is there anything specific you dislike, or is it the phone in general. Android can be hard to learn, but usually any small issues can be tweaked in the software (ie settings and launchers).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, jrzygirl36. It stinks that you're not a fan of the S9! Generally speaking, I agree with ryokecra125 -- this is a situation best referred to our internal teams with account access. I know that although the terms listed on the trade-in process ask that you acknowledge returns aren't possible, sometimes when a trade-in device is re-valued upon inspection there's a window where you can request a device return. That said, I don't believe that is an option outside of the inspection scenario. Since the promotion terms are for the S9/S9+ and require an active EIP, a buyer's remorse return of the device would void that eligibility for the promo. If you haven't already, I'd recommend Contacting Us by reaching out to our Care or T-Force team so that we can see if there are any escalation options to request your trade-in back.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dragon1562

In my experience with other carriers, not T-mobile you don't get the old device back. I am not saying that will be the case here but I don't wanna get your hopes up. As far as the trade in value you did with the promo so I don't think they are gunna honor that price since you are effectively breaking the terms of the agreement. Is the S9 really that bad? I would just deal with the phone till the next phone comes out and then trade it in since I am sure they will run a promo on the new iphone like they always do.