S9+ MMS issues

magenta4498753

Hi! Is anyone having trouble sending MMS messages with their S9+? Especially to an iphone for some reason. When I go to send a picture, or anything animated, it changes my text to a File Transfer, instead of MMS which causes it to cancel immediately!!If I delete the entire conversation,  it will only then let me send a pic as an MMS,  but only once!! Then it goes right back to changing my message to a file transfer

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: S9+ MMS issues

Wow that's super strange, but we really wanna see this get resolved for you. Is this happening with photos that you've taken or ones you've downloaded from the web? I'm also curious if it's only happening with specific phone numbers or any number you send to. You'll need data in order for this to work so I suggest checking the APN & data settings on your phone to make sure everything is set up properly. Please give that a shot and let us know if that helps. Thanks!

• magenta4498753

It's totally strange!! I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to figuring this stuff out!! It's happening with any photos, doesn't matter what they're from.. whether its 36kb sized animoji, or a pic I just took. I simply cannot figure out why it changes my MMS to a file transfer. So far, it's only been one number for some reason(my wifes iphone x), but I dont send pics to too many people ... and she had no problems sending pics my way. My data seems fine, and my son is fast.t-mobile.com.. lately, our of the blue the pics have been going through but still going through file transfer.. I even tried unmerging all of her contact info.. to see if for some reason that was an issue.. (she had a galaxy prior to the iPhone so I was thinking  it was still trying to somehow link her  intact to a galaxy and it was messing up somewhere).. even if they are going through, I w okuld love to know why its changing the message

• tmo_chris

Can you try resetting your messages app?

From a Home screen, touch and swipe up or down to display all apps.

From a Home screen, navigate: Settings > Apps.

Tap App Manager.

Locate then tap Messages.

Tap Storage.

Tap CLEAR CACHE.

Tap Cached data.

Tap CLEAR.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there.

Just checking to see if you've tried Chris's suggestion. Please let us know how your phone is doing afterwards. Thank you.

• magenta4498753

Well, I'm not sure what I did, but as of RIGHT NOW, MMS are going through..still as a "file transfer", but they are now going through. The only thing I did right before it started working, was "unmerge" some of the contact info, of the person that I had difficulty sending the MMS to, and for some reason they started going through!!! I dont know.. confusing.. I will clear my messages app though!! I have cleared the cache, but I didn't touch the data, because I wasn't sure what would have been erased if I did do that

• tmo_chris

Glad to see we are making progress! In addition to clearing the messaging app cache, please try deleting the entire contact and sending the MMS to their phone number instead of their name from your contact list. 

• magenta5519162

I am having the same issue. Have called in multiple times and have a ticket open. I just realized that it is changing to a file transfer

For me it happens to 2 people one is my husband he has an s7 and the other is an I phone with a different carrier.  When trying to send a picture message it immediately cancels. Delivery report says file transfer. I have done what you suggested and removed the contact and then cleared the cache but this did not work. Any help would be appreciated.

• tmo_chris

Are these the only 2 phone numbers you are having issues sending picture messages to? What happens when you take a brand new picture and send it to the mobile number directly instead of the contact entry?

• magenta5519162

Everyone else seems to be ok. I haven't tried all of my contacts but those I use on the regular are ok....all except the 2. I have tried both ways sending from the gallery and also attaching from messages. I have also tried to take the picture right from the messaging app still nothing. It immediately goes to canceled doesn't even try to send. The rep told me my ticket has been closed because there was trouble in my area but that is not my issue as i can message others.The phone is a month old and I don't want to send it back to receive a refurbished phone back. I would much rather find a solution if possible.

Thanks for your help!

• magenta5519162

The GIF will not send either...they do the same thing with the same 2 people

• tmo_chris

Thanks for trying that! Are regular text messages going through to these numbers okay? Also, do you have another phone you can try your SIM card in to see if the issue persists? I want to try to rule out a device issue.