Latest Galaxy S8 (to Oreo) Update -notifications screwed

magenta4484158

This latest update to Oreo completely messed up my notification settings.  I can't seem to get the sound back on specific apps, i.e. Ring, Whats App.  I have set the buttons, but still no sound.  Please advise what I can do.

All replies

• magpulx720

My first step would be to uninstall all affected apps, then reinstall them. Try that first and see how it goes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, there! Just wanted to check in here to see if you'd tried out the suggestion above and had any luck with uninstalling/reinstalling apps. I will also say that many of our long-term community members recommend a cache wipe (you won't lose personal data) or factory reset (you will lose personal data) after a significant OS update and setting up from scratch. What troubleshooting have you attempted so far? I hope you were able to get your notifications set back up!

• tmo_chris

How is it going? Did you still need any help with this?

• dragon1562

This has been a known issue. Factory reseting the phone usually fixes it. Another solution that was found on this forum is to do this

1. Go to Setting -> Apps, click on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select "Show system apps"
              2. Scroll down and click on "BadgeProvider" app
              3. In app properties, click on "Storage", clear both the Cache and Data.
              4. Shut down the phone and following the directions below to "wipe cache partition".
              5. Wipe cache partition

• Turn off the device.
                • Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
                • When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
                • Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
                • Press the Power key to select.
                • Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
                • When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
                • Press the Power key to restart the device.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful