How long does it normally take to transfer a phone number from Straight Talk to T-Mobile?

thesavvyleigh

I switched my iPhone from Straight Talk to T-mobile earlier today. The worker told me that it usually doesn’t take 24 hours like it normally says, but I was wondering if anyone else had it transferred and how long it took.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

The official rule is a week, I believe (I cannot fully remember).

What happens is the following:

1) T-Mobile requests from Straightalk to move number YYY-YYY-YYYY from Straightalk to T-Mobile.

* Generally, during the request, an answer will be given as to whether this is possible (some numbers cannot be ported)

2) T-Mobile assigns your account a Temporary Access Number.  Tells Straightalk to forward YYY-YYY-YYYY to this number.

* This does not forward texts.  Just phone calls.

3) While the Temporary Access Number is in place, all outgoing calls are advertised as from your number.  Texts within the T-Mobile network work.  Texts outside the T-Mobile network don't.

4) Over the next couple days, the ownership of YYY-YYY-YYYY is broadcast to all carriers.  As the carriers get this update in their database, texts begin to work.

5) After some period of time, your Temporary Access Number is removed.

During the transition process, you should have no problems with talk.  You should have no problems with internet.  You will probably have problems with text for up to a week.  This is not Straightalk's fault, it's not T-Mobile's fault.  It's the fact it takes time to refresh numbers across all carriers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, thesavvyleigh. Just wanted to check in and see if you'd had a chance to read over the reply above. How's your port going?