Security updates

mc4man136

Have a galaxy note 8 from t-mobile for 5 months now & have gotten just 1 security update (January

Is this the way it goes in carrier land?

All replies

• joe1994

Re: Security updates

I am on a December security patch from 2017. I had a nexus 6 that went six months without a security patch. We got April's security patch in October and it did a number on nexus devices including bricking them or rendering them useless

• tmo_mike_c

That's pretty strange you've only gotten that update. I'm seeing there was another in Feb. just looking at our Software updates: Samsung Galaxy Note8  page. have you not received that update?

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. What is your current software version and is it the latest version we show on the page that tmo_mike_c linked?

• mc4man136

Yes, I'm the same as what's shown. That update apparently included the Jan. security update. Meanwhile Samsung has released a Feb & a March update, it's almost April so shortly there will be that yet another one.

So what's t-mobile'problem in pushing out these updates?

• rule1564

They last security update pushed by T-mobile was Feb. The reason they aren't pushing March yet is because they are working on the Oreo update. You'll notice that you don't get it every month sometimes, more especially if a major update is about to be pushed out. The security update will be included in the Oreo update. Historically, I've received the "current" major update in April for my T-mobile Notes. I expect this time will be no different.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • tmo_chris

In addition to what rule1564 said, while Samsung may have released this update, it is more than likely still being tested on our side. The last thing we want to do is hurt your phone with a SW update that may not be fully compatible with our variants.

• dragon1562

Updates for carrier branded phones are always like this. Part of the blame falls on Samsung for being slower than other vendors which then means it takes more time for the carriers to do a over view of the update to ensure it doesn't have any critical bugs that would hurt performance on the network.

• mc4man136

Well it says January 1 for security update level in my settings. Based on what you all have said how could t-mobile possibly include February security update in an update pushed on Feb 2

• mc4man136

Well all up to date now with the Oreo update. Still think t-mobile should push the monthly updates monthly as they state they do nothing to them.

Anyway consider this as answered, thanks for the responses.