LG V20 8.0 Update

enigmaco

I'm curious to know if they have somewhat of a ETA for the update to be rolled out.  Seeing this is the first OS update in 18 months I would hope this would be a quick process, especially since Google is already releasing android 9.0 in beta, which means they been sitting on android 8.0 for almost a year now.  So it would be great to get a date to fix the issues that android 7.0 has,  I know its the os having issues because I had it on my Nexus 6P and the same issues didn't get resolved until 7.1.2 was released.  The facts its taken this long to even start the process is insane. 

All replies

• sslman71

Re: LG V20 8.0 Update

Like I said in the LG V30 post. LG is not as popular as Apple and Samsung, and even with Samsung being really slow on updates, LG does not care as much with updates as the others. You might not even get as I have read online that their flagships are not sold as much as the other two companies, to even bother updating their flagship phones.

• enigmaco

I would normally agree with you, but I use to own a lg G3 and they were quicker to update that phone than they were with this one.  Honestly this is lg dropping the ball, and one of the reasons I refused to go back to Samsung was due to the fact that they ridiculously slow with their updates.  Motorola seems to have no issues updating their flagship products, and I'm sure they're less popular than LG.  Good thing is after this I'm buying pixel phones here on out.  18 months with a buggy os is ridiculous. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • damolin

Lol you work for t-mobile and you really said LG is not popular. You really need to have better knowledge of what is going on with LG. KG just opened a new update center and LG v20 & 30 users will get Oreo guaranteed. Do the research and v20 & v30 users should get android p according to LG.

LG is a big and a power house of a company they just got lazy with updates after losing a lot of money aim to fix there mess up with supporting updates for there phones.

• tmo_chris

We do not have a specific time frame but it is in the works

LG V20: Update in Development

• magenta2740920

Still waiting for T-Mobile to answer this question. Will there be an Android 8.0 update to the LG V20?

Perfectly capable phone with legacy software. Please update.

• enigmaco

I'm so irritated at T-mobile at this point I honestly don't even give a crap anymore, they just helped me decide to never buy anymore phones through them.  They had issues with the 8.0 update on 3 different devices now, seems quite odd.  After Tuesday I'll be using a Oneplus 6, they ruined the V20 with their paranoia of people rooting their devices,  and my guess is they locked down their devices so tight its too the point they can't even update them lol.

• enigmaco

Tried asking LG about the update they pretty much brushed me off, starting to wonder if this phone will ever see oreo, its been in development for months now, and honestly it should be finishing the testing phase at this point.  LG and T-mobile really dropped the ball with this phone.

• enigmaco

Just saw Verizon released Oreo for the S7 which is older than the V20,  wow this is getting pathetic

• sslman71

Yeah, but that is Verizon. T-mobile is just not getting anywhere with s7 or s7 edge for Oreo, and must just totally give up even thinking Oreo will come to this network for those devices. I rather stick with my unlocked firmware without the bloat even on Nougat for all this crap. Even a sim unlocked phone from T-mobile won't even work on Verizon, it is so locked up. Why even say it is sim unlocked at all, when it won't work on other networks at all except AT&T? Talk about screwing customers over.

• enigmaco

That is part of the reason I brought it up Verizon beat T-mobile to the punch, when in the past t-mobile has been releasing update quicker than Verizon.  This paranoia of users rooting their phones is really holding things up.  That's odd your phone didn't work, when I came over from Verizon my G3 from them worked on T-mobiles network.  They did lie to to me about compatibility issues though, it didn't have any.  Starting to feel they're going to abandon the V20 as well, this "global update center"  That LG has should have had it in testing by now. 

• magenta2740920

The reason I got the latest flagship phone from LG/T-Mobile was that I would get updates. T-Mobile and LG should have updated the firmware on this phone months ago. Next time I will buy the Google Pixel or another phone that gets updates as soon as they come out. Sick of poor after-purchase support from both of these companies. On top of that, this forum isn't even monitored of maybe someone from T-Mobile would have answered...

I love the reply from Community Manager, tmo_chris:

We do not have a specific time frame but it is in the works (Smiley face)

Lame....