Coverage map is not accurate

zeroktal

Hello,

I am frequently in the area of Reddick Rd, Ore City, TX and I can confirm with a Samsung S7, Samsung S8, Samsung S9+ and an LG-P659(3 of these with different sims) there is no coverage. If you do a network search T-Mobile will show up 90% of the time, but then you get "Cannot connect to network". I called your support several times and still no luck. Support has repeatedly blamed this on phone settings. It is not the phone settings, as you can see this happens with multiple phones that are unmodified after a factory reset(tried before factory reset as well). We tried a signal booster(provided by T-Mobile), but it wouldn't connect either. The internet based signal booster won't work as internet is unreliable here. Support then they blamed buildings and or trees in the way. So we climbed a 100 ft tree so we were above literally everything around us for miles. SAME ISSUE. Searching networks finds T-Mobile, but then won't connect to the network. I spent the better part of a day walking literally miles 2 in each direction and it's a dead zone.  If you look at the map from in between the 4 streams near Periwinkle all the way to halfway between the "no coverage area" and the 295 is exactly the same way.  This extends from the top of the map to the bottom of the map from Nastrutium Rd. to Mimosa Rd. at the bottom.

Previously, I used Verizon, which works perfectly across this entire region. Before switching to T-mobile I was told there was definitely coverage and it had been customer checked. Otherwise, even though I am based in Las Vegas I probably would not have switched.

I understand that often an area has challenges to getting coverage. Further, I understand it is not economically feasible to cover every area, especially in rural areas such as this. But, this leads us to one of two things. Either there is coverage here, and there is something wrong on your end, or there is no coverage here and no one will admit it. If the first is true, then someone needs to take a serious look and fix the issue. If the second is true, then someone should show some integrity and update the coverage map.  It is unfair, bordering on outright lying to indicate coverage, when clearly there isn't.

Would someone please reach out to me, by forum or phone and discuss this?

Thank you!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Coverage map is not accurate

Hey there and thanks for coming here to post. I do want to help explain our coverage map a little bit. After looking at the address you posted, I am seeing this is a "Fair" coverage area. This means that you may occasionally get service indoors. With that being said, this area does appear to be a place where coverage is going to be stronger outdoors. Another thing to keep in mind is that our coverage map is an estimation of what coverage we expect you to get, however we can't always guarantee this due to variables (you can see a list of these if you click the Map and Service Info link on our coverage map page). With T-Mobile expanding coverage, we don't come across situations like this too often, but we do know we have some places that can use some help with coverage. I did check my internal coverage tool as well, and I don't have any specifics on if/when coverage will change in this area. For locations like this, there are a couple things we recommend doing to help get the most out of what's there. You could try flipping the band to 2G only to see if you're able to get a solid connection of 2-3 bars. If you're in or around an area with a Wi-Fi connection, using it while there will help you stay connected. Putting in a Service Complaint with our Tech Care will get our engineers involved to take a peek at this location for improvements. I know our engineering teams are already aware of areas where we need some help, so just a heads up, they ticket could come back saying that coverage improvements will need to be made and to use some of the suggestions I've already mentioned to help with service while you're in that location. I do understand that giving you this info doesn't change the coverage there, I'd just like you to give you some thoughts about our coverage map and how we handle signal issues. For what it's worth, I appreciate you coming here to tell us about what you've been experiencing. Please let me know if I can answer anything else.

• drnewcomb2

The fact is that on T-Mobile's roaming maps, "Fair" means "Maybe".  You can't trust "Fair" coverage under the best of circumstances and particularly when it's getting speckled with bits of white. T-Mobile is more into painting their maps magenta than actually providing rural coverage. My rule of thumb for finding where service will actually work in rural areas is to find the nearest blotch of "Good" service. Go from the middle to the edge of the "Good" service then add half that distance into the "Fair". That's the circle of really usable coverage.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Just checking in to see if you had any additional questions. Please let us know. Thanks.

• zeroktal

Yes, many. Why is the coverage map still inaccurate? When will it be updated? How long will your company continue with its false statements?
                As it stands, I spent 700+ dollars on a phone because your support said it would fix the problem. It didn't, nothing did, as you don't and haven't had coverage in this location for several years. Obviously you know this as my initial reply to your question went unanswered for months.

• zeroktal

I read your reply, but wonder if you read mine. Support has already been notified, as well as a complaint lodged. Troubleshooting has already been done. What hasn't been done, is T-Mobile owning up to the fact that your map is inaccurate. Yes, it will get fixed. In the interim, I'd just like your map to be honest. Further, someone was supposed to call me back on this, but I have yet to receive that call.

• zeroktal

Still no reply? Still inaccurate map?

• katiedawg

I've been with T-Mo for only a month or so, after 10+ years with AT&T.  You want to see blatant misrepresentation of coverage on a carrier map?  Look at AT&T as well as VZW.  I've been in areas filled in completely with deep blue - and there was zero coverage for AT&T.  I've been in areas filled in completely with deep red - and there was zero coverage from VZW.  It wasn't a site outage, either - the residents of both areas confirmed my findings.

At least T-Mo makes a decent stab at honesty, and allows users to log on the coverage map where they've verified it works.  And as a former RF engineer, I can assure you that nobody went around with a signal meter and drew these maps by hand.  These are areas approximated and generated by a computer, using (among other things) the height of the antenna array, the TPO of the system and geographic topology.  Atmospheric conditions can (and do) change all of these approximations, for - again - they're just approximations.  And I live in a valley in an area reported to be somewhat weak, although the signal is strong all around us.  They sent me the VOIP in-house mini-site without hesitation for free and it fixed things perfectly.

In my short time here, I have yet to have anyone at T-Mo try to weasel in or out of anything.  They actually try to help.  And technical problems happen for everyone.  Sites go down.  Water gets in transmission lines and reflects the output signal back to the transmitters, which then fold-back their output to protect the final RF amplifier stage.  The signal level drops when that happens.  Just report the problem and see if the RF techs can find an issue at the site.

Just sayin'

• zeroktal

This is a multi YEAR issue.If you read the post instead of just jumping into something you didn't understand...you would realize all this was already covered in previous posts. They know the map is inaccurate, and after I spent $900+ at their insistence, the least they could do is update their map.

Just sayin'

• katiedawg

Ah, after being in England for a few weeks, how nice it is to come back to the rudeness of my fellow Americans.

I *did* read the entire post.  My point was that the coverage maps are estimated by a computer running a GIS program, allowing for terrain interference/signal blocking and propagation loss.  The estimations don't allow for external interference, and there's always the possibility that the GIS data is incorrect and there's something physically blocking the signal from the antenna system that's gone undiscovered.  Then there's the possibility of the good old (2fa - fb) receiver-induced intermod de-sensing of the first RF stage of the phone.  That little problem has caused plenty of trouble almost since the invention of radio.

Man, there's all kinds of things the techs don't understand, but the engineers do.  The only way to really get started on fixing this is to have an engineer (not a tech) perform a thorough site assessment with a field strength meter and a spectrum analyzer and run all the results to find the culprit(s).  As much as I've enjoyed being a T-Mo customer, I have my doubts about anyone sending out that kind of equipment and paying the labor to track down what's going on, unless it's in a major metro area.

• zeroktal

Starting an argument on a forum with another customer brings in to question your motives.

Your first response DOES indicate that, no you didn't read my posts. Second, I just got back from Paris and Italy for a few weeks, and find your reference to be ridiculous. Does travel somehow make my points, statements or demeanor more or less valid? You also realize that most find the English to be boorish? In probably the top 5 of the world? I'm curious what your point here is with all that in mind?

My statements still stand as valid and accurate. T-mobile refers to this map and tells people it is accurate. It isn't. They should either update the map so that it is accurate, or fix the coverage so that it is.

• drnewcomb2

It is true that their are places where the models do not do a good job of predicting service levels, A good example is along the shoreline where the signal comes from some distance across the water. You will often see excellent predicted service, when in fact there is none. There are also many, many places where T-Mobile has to know that they've overstated coverage. The only explanation for these areas is that T-Mobile's upper management wants to have a pretty map and be able to claim big covered POPs numbers. IMHO, the fact that "everyone else is doing it" doesn't excuse the fact that it's wrong.

I've become pretty good at being able to look at T-Mobile's maps and predicting where I'll actually have service and where I won't.

• katiedawg

Quoting you:

"This is a multi YEAR issue.If you read the post instead of just jumping into something you didn't understand...you would realize all this was already covered in previous posts."

In my book, *that* is starting an argument.  As one who holds a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, I've tried to offer some possible explanations for this issue in laymen's terms.  Whether or not you choose to accept them is your call.

I'm finished.  Troll away, insult away, whatever - I've unsubscribed to this thread and will no longer by bothered by you.

• zeroktal

Oh really? A Ph.D? Guess they didn't teach critical thinking?  Because you again completely missed the point.  I understood from the beginning the reasons it is inaccurate. This Doesn't Change that it is inaccurate. My points and statements still stand. It's inaccurate. It needs updated to be accurate, whether that is a fix of the map, or a fix of the coverage.

ps. You still never explained why you are even in this conversation. Both of your attempts to appear superior, first the travel reference and then the degree mention are pretty sad. If your argument held any chance of being correct or even relevant you wouldn't have had to throw those in.

• zeroktal

This coverage map is still innacurate. What does it take to update an incorrect map? This is dishonest.