USB C TO HDMI NOT LANDSCAPE ON S9 PLUS

foxboss9

samsung(brand) usb to hdmi adapter will not output landscape mode to external monitor on S9 plus...works fine with Note 8

tried changing auto rotate/to manual portrait and landscape.. tried changing screen resolution...

It will rotate on some screens/setting menus/apps but not in front or rear camera/video mode..

I use external HDMI monitor for video capture.. Tried 3 different monitors...Although all 3 monitors work fine with Note 8...

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: USB C TO HDMI NOT LANDSCAPE ON S9 PLUS

We certainly wanna make sure you get the help you need with this phone. I know it's brand new we do want it to work as best as possible. Just so I'm on the same page, is the issue only with landscape mode and only withe the camera application? Is it working on other apps you use?

• foxboss9

Yeah it works fine for some of the apps and even some of the menus and even the home screen but it will not go to landscape mode when in camera mode shooting video or anything like that. I can live stream YouTube and it shoots and displays in landscape mode but it will not capture video and display landscape to an external monitor from three different manufacturers. I need this feature to use a field monitor for capturing video.

• dragon1562

Thats weird can you contact Samsung to see if they can give further advise. I am sorta at a loss since I never ran into a issue like this on previous Samsung phones.

• foxboss9

Oh yeah, I talked to them, they didn't seem very interested in that it was any kind of a problem for me because out of the three monitors that I chose to use not a single one of them was a Samsung brand. So I ask them which Samsung field monitor they would suggest to use. Seeing how Samsung doesn't make them monitor smaller than 22 in I think they got upset because I was looking for a 7-inch monitor. However he guaranteed me that if it did not work using a Samsung monitor that they would address the problem. So I asked how he would address the problem and he said he would forward it to his tech department.Ugh! Needless to say he was trying to keep his call number rate up and just wanted my "real issue" to get off the phone with him and let him answer some more "easy" calls...  

• foxboss9

Just updated my Note 8 To Oreo and the Landscape feature works on the camera setting using the samsung usb c to Hdmi dongle just fine..SO, This is an issue with the S9 Plus camera app...  UGH!!!

• tmo_marissa

Hey, foxboss9! This has definitely got me stumped -- I'd expect with a Samsung brand cable this would be a little more seamless, given that there's manufacturer continuity. Did you have a chance to take a look at Mike's questions above? Do you know anyone else with an S9/S9+ you'd be able to test with? Lastly, have you reached out to Samsung to see if they're able to shed any light on this?

• dragon1562

That is pretty odd and sounds like a software issue on Samsung that went un-noticed. Can you try doing this to see if it makes a difference.

Step 1: Open the Settings app on the phone, then go into display settings by tapping Display.

Step 2: Tap the Home screen option to go to home screen settings.

Step 3: Here, at the bottom, you should see an option named Portrait mode only. It will be turned on by default, so tap the option to uncheck it and enable the home screen to work in landscape.

That’s it. Once you’ve enabled landscape mode for the home screen, you can enable screen auto rotation on the phone (following the steps in Part I of this guide) and the home screen will also switch to landscape every time you tilt your phone horizontally.

Check out the images in the gallery below to see how the home screen (and app drawer) looks in horizontal orientation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • foxboss9

just did Oreo update on note 8 and it still works flawlessly...this is a S9 plus camera app issue....

• foxboss9

I know it's been awhile, I was hoping this would get fixed in some sort of update by now... It's not... I still have to use my Note 8 for landscape video capture with an external monitor...Now I see the Note 8 works with reflector 3 on its side but guess what doesn't...That's right... the S9......

S9 Plus can only display in Portrait mode even when turned on it's side... This is a camera app issue...this has nothing to do with settings...I've tried everything...

Again, my Note 8 has never had an issue and they are set up identically... I even tried this on My daughters Samsung smart TV and if you use google home to cast screen it will not rotate camera image being cast from portrait to landscape...

• dragon1562

Sadly this is a issue with Samsung to fix. The best thing you can do is report the issue to them direcetly.

• foxboss9

I did... They suck... initially they advised me it was because I was not connecting the dongle to a Samsung monitor. When I explained to them that the dongle is to work with nearly every monitor on the market, they said they can't guarantee that and that the only way they could make sure it work was on a Samsung monitor. So then when I post a question why my Note 8 worked flawlessly with all of my LCD and led monitors and TVs that were not Samsung he did not really have a response. So then I went to my daughter's home who has a Samsung Smart TV and a Samsung computer monitor and the S9 plus with the Samsung Dongle could not go to landscape even with those two monitors. So again I contacted Samsung and this time the person I spoke with didn't even understand what I was trying to explain. I'm not illiterate, I'm able to speak clearly, they just didn't have an answer. I got tired of being put on hold so I hung up. Basically, what it comes down to is that the S9 plus that I wished to use to shoot video using an external monitor cannot be done with the Samsung usb-c to HDMI dongle. Which really sucks because I'm sure it's a software issue that could be taken care of with an update. Oh well