Oreo on the S8+ SUCKS!!!!

twuble

Hate that the option to customize message tones is gone!!!  I had different message tones set up for each of my employees so I knew who was texting me if my phone wasn't next to me.  Now I've got to check it every time!!! And that you can't change the notification sound for some apps.  Hope it gets changed back in the next update and SOON!!!!    

All replies

• simataas

Re: Oreo on the S8+ SUCKS!!!!

Unbelievable.  What a debacle!  I cannot believe such a rudimentary feature would be removed.  I'm very displeased.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • simataas

Chat-boards across the net seem to indicate that our only option is to flood Samsung with comments, complaints & requests to restore this feature.  I may look into 3rd-party apps, but I don't know if a 3rd-party messenger will work with DIGITS.

• tmo_chris

Hey folks! I know that losing the custom SMS tone is a total bummer. This is something on the Samsung side though so commenting on the Samsung boards is going to be the best place to have your voices heard. In the meantime, I did see that some users were using Textra and this allowed them to set custom tones as a work around. As for DIGITS, you will need to use the built in multi-line settings of the phone which uses the default SMS app or you can download the DIGITS app from the Google Play store but there is also no way to set custom SMS tones in the DIGITS app

• simataas

Hey, tmo_chris!  Yes, this seems to be the case.  I'm currently using chomp SMS - Android Apps on Google Play from the same developers as Textra.  Interestingly, I purchased the full version of Chomp the last time Samsung poorly executed an Android update (Kit-Kat to Lollipop).  As you mentioned, this solution doesn't work well with DIGITS! for those managing multiple phone lines, or in my case multiple phones that share the same digits.  Thus, I will be forced back to the stock messenger.

Which brings me to this question: how do we get your T-Mobile engineers to incorporate individualized contact notification sounds into the DIGITS! app?  It's not just that it would solve this Oreo problem (which we hope is temporary anyway), but this is a needed feature in the DIGITS! app regardless.  Those relying on the DIGITS! app really need this feature.  This applies to those with phones without multi-line settings and to those who have a paired phone (i.e. a data with paired digits plan, since even if the second paired phone has multi-line settings the app is required for proper syncing).  The aforementioned chomp SMS app is an example of an app that allows assigning individualized notifications for select contacts (within the app, not in the phone's settings) and using the default notification tone for the rest.  This totally seems doable - the DIGITS! app is in need of an upgrade and no 3rd-party is going to do it for us!  Please help!

• tmo_chris

We definitely appreciate your feedback about the custom tone integration with DIGITS. I know that we have received that feedback in the past and our dev teams are aware. Unfortunately, I cannot say when/if DIGITS will receive an update to add this capability.

• simataas

Okay everybody!  All we can do is make it clear to Samsung that we are displeased with them.  Our very expensive phones have been degraded in functionality.  Perhaps the easiest way is by using the Samsung+ app right from our phones.  I selected "GET HELP" on the top right and then selected "Text Chat."  It started off with a chat bot, but quickly transferred me to a "Samsung expert" when it couldn't help me.  The Samsung expert is a real person and couldn't help much either, but did suggest how to leave feedback:

I followed the above instructions and left this feedback...

and received this reply...

And this is my interpretation of Samsung's reply:

A) The Google (Android) Oreo Operating System fundamentally changed the way notifications work.

B) The change caused the device's individual contact notifications to no longer function.

C) The Oreo OS change in concept was intentional, but the effect it had on contact notification tones was not considered (i.e. broken contact tones was a side-effect, but not the goal of the change).

D) The individualized contact notification tones feature is required neither by the Google platform nor the Carrier(s).

E) Samsung considers this an Android OS limitation, not their limitation.

F) The Carriers (presumably the big four) all accepted this limitation, so Samsung removed individualized contact notification tones from their stock Messages & Contacts Apps (and whatever those other two listed items are).

G) Although a lack of personalized notification tones is considered the normal operating condition for this OS platform, Samsung is now looking at solutions for returning this functionality.

My conclusion is that if Samsung is not bombarded with complaints they will not resolve the issue.