Signal fluctuates

johnbon

My signal strength and data speed fluctuates so much when I'm at home just laying in my bed. Like one second I'll have 5 bars, lte+ and the next I'll have 2 bars lte. When it goes down, it's like .5 mb down and .2 up. This fluctuates so much throughout the day, not just peak hours. Anyone have a solution? Thanks.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Signal fluctuates

is "home" a house? apartment?  center of the building? near a window? in the basement? etc?

There's a ton of factors that impact signal.  Apartment buildings are notorious for being a bit of a Faraday Cage which causes signal problems.  Just like your wifi, some signals have difficulty traveling through some building materials or HVAC equipment or other things.  Especially if the tower is on the opposite side of these and there's a bit between.

There's also the possibility you're equidistant from two towers and your phone can't decide which it wants to be on.  Handing off from tower to tower drops your level of connectivity momentarily, but shouldn't last more than a few seconds.

The suggestion I'd have if this is impacting you is to use your home WiFi.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • johnbon

It's a house and I've moved in just a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to setting up wifi yet. Do you have any possible solutions for now? Thanks you your time.

• smplyunprdctble

With the various possibilities, I'm out of ideas.

The problem is most likely location (your location between towers, the elevations around you, the location of your bedroom to the house to the tower, the feng shui of your house, etc).

You may be able to contact T-Mobile and get a trouble ticket created and folks out that way, but you'll probably have WiFi set up in your house before anything is resolved if it's not impacting voice calls.  Especially if it's not a "it constantly happens" situation (it sounds to me like it works most of the time, but occasionally things will go wonky -- my interpretation of your original post).  Getting engineers out at the exact moment something is going awry is difficult (I know this when I fought with Comcast a number of years ago when my cable signal kept dropping.  It'd work 95% of the time and I couldn't get anyone out during the 5% there were problems -- and the inside people blamed it on the pole and the pole people blamed it on inside and I couldn't get both out at the same time).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • dragon1562

You could request a signal booster for the location which should help make the coverage more consistent. To request it just reach out to T-mobile over the phone or on social media and they will place the order for you.Contact Us