International Data Passes - Flummoxed

binny

Hello everybody--

I've spent a couple hours at the T-Mobile website and I'm confused about the International Data Passes. I know that currently the only option is $20 for 10 days, max 1 GB. Can anyone give me some info re:

• How fast is the data? 4G, LTE, 3G doesn't help. Actual kbps please.
    • There seems to be some confusion (at least I'M confused) about renewing the pass if the data runs out before the 10 days are up. Some reports say you have to wait until the 10 days are up before getting another pass. Anyone have any experience with this. (Note that I'm on a post-paid plan).

Thanks.

All replies

• nps-ca

Re: International Data Passes - Flummoxed

You Don't need the pass if you want the free 128 or 256 Kb/sec roaming.

If you do want higher speed essentially it's the full speed possible on the roaming network taking into account all data has to be routed back to the US to T-Mobile as this is normal when roaming - data services will look like you are still in the US.  Normally I see the latency is about 200ms higher and speeds about 50-80% max of the roaming carrier .So example in Japan I see 20-50Mb/sec - most countries in Europe 10-40Mb/sec.  Your mileage will vary.  Essentially all TMobile is doing is removing the international roaming throttling.  Now for buying the pass multiple times within the end of the 10 day first purchase - of course!! I normally see speeds go does and get the SMS that I've used up the pass. I then go to my T-Mobile and remove the now depleted pass as it won't auto remove till 10 days (remove it under plan) and then add another new one to be active right away

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • miket

As I recall, in many countries had ping times of well over 500ms.   I don't use much data at home or abroad.  Besides, Wi-Fi is fairly universal now.  It seems to me, though, to be cheaper and easier to simply buy a data SIM in the country you are in and stick it in a spare phone.  Then tether your other equipment (phones, tablet, computer) to that phone with the data SIM.    We did that when in Myanmar where TM does have any type of  to usable roaming agreement. (There is very little Wi-Fi there.)

• dragon1562

No one here can guarantee anything since it is not a roaming partner. Although nps-ca gave you a pretty rough idea on what to expect. That being said the phone that you are using will also be a factor in what kind of performance you experience and as miket mentioned I often just buy a local sim as it is the better choice when staying somewhere for a prolonged time. Just like in the US when you roam you are basically a 2nd tier citizen on the host carriers network. So there own clients get prioritize during times of congestion. Plus they also sometimes have there own features that are baked into the network the can be handy at times that you otherwise not get to use due to just roaming.

If you had a place in mind I am sure many on the forum could give you better suggestions on what is most cost effective and the best decision to make.

• binny

Thanks, excellent answers all round. I had been leaning against the data pass and this confirms it. We'll bring an old phone with us just in case a SIM is in order.

BTW, we'll be in Italy, spending most of our time in rural Molise (red flag: "Italy's best kept secret") so I'm not optimistic about local WiFi--especially given that broadband in Italy is consistently reported as relatively poor.

Thanks again.

• miket

In countries like Italy, you will find that the standard Internet speed you will get is more than adequate.  We have used it in many countries and used Google maps without a problem. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • satkins93@aol.com

T-Moble 2G data is flat out dangerous and shouldn't be offered.  I can't tell how much money I lost with dropouts. Text messaging voice works well in EU. It's the data that is too little for a trip without constant checking and paying for higher speeds. The day pass is pathetic.  T-moble is dropping the ball on this. Offering something no one wants but we must stick with it, unless you buy a foreign sim card.  It's almost as much hassle except you can get 4g.