Terrible Data Service in Bellevue, WA

matt775

I live and work in Bellevue, WA, the same city where the T Mobile headquarters are located, and the data service is unbelievably bad. I recently switched to T-Mobile and never had a problem before. Now I have to be on wifi in order to get anything to work. I have trouble getting websites to even load while using data, whether I am in the grocery stores downtown, or in nearby neighborhoods. I have called support multiple times and they just reset the connection to my phone, which hasn't helped. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using an iPhone 6s.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Terrible Data Service in Bellevue, WA

Have you run speed tests at various times and places?

• dragon1562

Getting some empirical data will be necessary for us to better assist you. Drnewcomb2 mentioned running speedtests when the issue presents itself. You can do this by using the Ookla speedtest app from the app store. I would suggest poping the phone into airplane mode and then out of to reset the connection yourself. It may connect to a less congested tower.

I also wanted to ask what your data usage looks like? If your above the 50Gb threshold you will be depriotized during times of congestion. Although I would doubt this of being the case. If you can provide some more info so we can see if there is a pattern. I.e is the slow speed only occurring indoors or is outside as well. Stuff like that. If you know others with T-mobile can you also have them run the tests in the same location to ensure that it is not a device issue?

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

Are you still having trouble with your data? Please try the suggestions above and let us know if they help. Thanks.

• matt775

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I tested my speed in multiple places over the weekend and got between 1.5 and 2.5 Mbps for the most part. It seems to be worse inside buildings (sometimes not even able to connect to the speed test). I just checked my usage and I have used 2.1 GB of data.

So yes, I am still having trouble and would greatly appreciate any other suggestions. Do I need to get a new phone in order to get proper service?

• dragon1562

A new phone should not be needed as although aged, the 6s supports the necessary bands for coverage with T-mobile. Indoors, degradation of service is to be expected to some degree. It just sounds like a issue of congestion in the area. I appreciate you running speedtest so we could get a better idea of the coverage situation. I would contact T-mobile and file a ticket. Making note of specific addresses that are effected with the speeds and times the tests were ran. I am curious if speeds get better during any specific time or location. The more detailed you get the better when fileing the ticket.

• miket

As mentioned above, your old Apple phones would seem to have all the bands available. For some reason, the city of Bellevue, which is 1/4 the population of this city of Seattle immediately to the south-gets many more complaints on this forum than Seattle does.   And Bellevue is the headquarters for T-Mobile!

I don't know if Seattle area has or will have the new band 71 which new phones this year will have.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there and thanks for doing the speed tests. I think filing a ticket for this area is a good idea to help get this resolved. Have you reached out to our Care folks to get this started?

• matt775

How do I file a ticket?

• tmo_mike_c

Hi again.

Have yo had the chance to file that ticket? Please let us know. Thanks!

• tmo_mike_c

I know it's only been a few days, but I'm curious if you've heard anything back from your ticket. Please let us know. Thank you.

• matt775

I have not heard anything back yet.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for letting us know! We don't want to spam you with check-ins, but whenever you have an update we'd love to hear it!

• matt775

Still haven't heard anything.

• matt775

So I reached out again to see if there was any update, and they said that the engineers couldn't find anything wrong so they just closed my ticket without giving me any information or letting me know that they closed it. This has been the worst product experience, and now the worst customer service experience I have ever had. It's insane.

• miket

As I mentioned a while ago in this thread - there have been more reports on connection problems in Bellevue on this forum.(an upish scale adjacent city to Seattle) than almost any other place of its size.  AND it is home to TM's HQ.

Maybe they will be helped by band 71????

One of our lines is a 206 number based in Seattle proper.  2-3 years ago or so had a few connection problems downtown.  No reports of trouble lately.  Can't recall, but maybe giving him a phone that worked on Band 12 helped.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh no, that's no good. After they told you it was closed, and you mentioned it was still an issue, did they mention opening another ticket? I'm just curious how the conversation when after they told you the ticket was closed.

• tmo_marissa

Hey again, matt775. I'm sorry if we've been spamming you with check-ins from the Community! I agree with what Chris and Mike mentioned -- if a ticket's closed on our end but the issue isn't resolved on the customer's side, that ticket should be reopened and possibly escalated to the next level of our engineering teams as well. I also want to apologize for the lack of information provided around ticket updates. Since ticket resolution times are flexible -- sometimes it might take three days, sometimes seven -- we should either be setting up an appointment with a date and time to reach back out to you, or setting the expectation of when we'll be checking up on the ticket results and offering you the option to inquire about the ticket on your own time. It doesn't sound like this happened in this situation, and that is a big disappointment.

Hopefully the ticket's been reopened and a better expectation has been provided about the way this process works -- one of the reasons we recommend working with our T-Force team is because it's pretty easy to hop on Twitter or FB and check on a ticket status with a T-Force rep from your phone, instead of calling in! Please let us know how you're doing.