Galaxy S9 Trade In Question

david73fp

I signed up for the new Galaxy S9+ and specified that I would return my paid off S7 Edge for a price reduction on the S9.  After receiving the new phone (excellent by the way) I had second thoughts and have called TMO to see if I could return my S5 instead of the S7 Edge, realizing I will receive less of a price reduction.  I normally find TMO to be very reasonable and flexible with their policies toward their customers, unlike their competitors in the US.  To my surprise my request to switch the S7 Edge for the S5 trade in has been denied on multiple calls to support.  I don't see why this should be such a difficult request to honor and am wondering if I just need to speak with someone else at TMO.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

All replies

• jayfromtelesales

Re: Galaxy S9 Trade In Question

To my understanding, the GS5 qualifies for this promotion. Of course it has to be paid off and in working conditions with no physical or water damage.

the GS5 a less trade-in value, $200 to be specific. Your Gs7 Edge would qualify for the full $360 value if it is in working conditions as well.

What did they tell you in customer care?

• david73fp

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Most of the reps I have spoken with have just said I signed up for the new phone with the S7 trade-in and have to stick with it.  One of them said I could return the new phone, cancel the order, and start over again.  That makes no sense for me or for TMO since they have to take a slightly used S9+ back and send me out another brand new one.  It just doesn’t seem like this should be such a hard request to deal with.  I have been with TMO for years.  I know there is a $160 difference in the trade-in value between the S5 and S7, which makes perfect sense to me.

Regards,

David

• jayfromtelesales

Definitely understand you David, Didn't know you had already placed your Gs7 edge for trade-in already. Doesn't seem like a difficult situation unless they have already applied your trade-in value to your account. I wouldn't suggest returning everything and doing the order again since there could be restocking fees and the promotion is for limited time only! Don't wanna lose of such an awesome promo.

• david73fp

Hi Again Jay,

Thanks for understanding.  Even though I have already specified the S7 for trade-in, how difficult can it be to change the electronic entry or the paperwork to switch the deal to the S5 for $160 less?  Bills get adjusted all the time for various reasons, TMO should be able to just adjust the monthly billing.  Even if they need more than the $120 I had to pay up front, they can just revise the bill.

Regards,

David

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • dragon1562

Hey just wanted to let you know that this is a public forum mainly made up of your peers and a few admin. As such you should not share any senstive information. Your username has your phone number in it so I reported it so a admin can come by and link you a code to change the name.

Now as far as the trade issue, I believe it is difficult since you technically already bought the phone for X price. It would be like buying a product from the store and then a week later seeing that a promotion is happening to make it cheaper and saying I want this price for it not what I paid.

I am sure if you talk to someone higher up the food chain they can help you but I believe you should let it be as T-mobile is notorious for messing up bill credits and such when things get complicated. However, if you still want to go through with this you should reach out to the T-force team on Facebook/Twitter so there is no confusion on the situation and what you want.

To be clear I am just a customer but I have had  a lot of expierence when dealing with T-mobile and I have learned the hardway that you should always read the full Terms and Agreements, and make darn sure you are getting it done right the first time to avoid headaches. T-mobiles not the only person that I am wary with, it just so happens that they have the most promos it seems, which always sound to good to be true.

• david73fp

Hi and thanks for the heads up about the phone number.  I have been contacted by an admin who is going to change my username.  I don’t know anything about the T Force team but I will look and see if I can find something in Twitter or FB.  Thanks for the suggestions.

• tmo_chris

Hey david73fp,

Just checking in here to see how things are going. I know you said that you were going to reach out to our T-Force team a couple days ago. Trade-ins are a little tricky as once the order has been fulfilled (you receiving the phone) we do not have a way to return your trade in back to you unless this was done at a store and you want to return it the same day and it is still available.

• david73fp

Hi Chris,

The TMO Force team was extremely helpful, thank you.  I was able to get them to agree to take the S5 instead of my S7 Edge, obviously for the lower price offered for the S5.  I have already mailed by S5 in, as of today (Monday).  I was told I will receive a lump sum refund instead of the monthly billing credit, but I was fine with either solution.  I am very glad I found the team.  I got nowhere talking to TMO phone support which is unusual, but the TMO Force team was very quick to give me options.

Best Regards,

David

• dragon1562

If you cancel wireless service, credits stop and remaining balance at full price may become due; contact us for details. Limited time offer; subject to change. Qualifying credit, service, & finance agreement req'd. $360 in total credits. Tax on pre-credit price due at sale. Samsung Galaxy S9: $0 down + $30/mo. x 24, pre-credit price: $720; Samsung Galaxy S9+: $120 down + $30/mo. x 24, pre-credit price: $840. 0% APR. For well-qualified customers. Must be active and in good standing to receive credits; allow 2 bill cycles. Max 12/account. May not be combined with some offers or discounts.

Also I forgot but wanted to add he terms of service for the promo you used. That way it is easier to see for anyone in the forums.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi!

Any updates from our T-Force folks? Please come back and let us know. Thanks.

• david73fp

Hi Mike,

Yes, the T-Force team was very supportive and gave me multiple options.  I have put my S5 in the mail and have been told I will receive a lump sum refund for it once it has been received.  I am very happy with the way I have been treated by T-Force!

Best Regards,

David

• justinmargolla1996

Hey quick question if I trade in my Galaxy S6 with a barely visible crack on it you can't see it really at all I will upload a picture does it still qualify for a trade in

• dragon1562

It may still qualify but you would get less money for it. The only real way to know is to have a T-mobile rep look it over. I would visit my local store location and see what they say about the condition of the device and if it meets. You say crack which is what scares me instead of say a scratch.