Power Outage Essex County Massachusetts

yacht4u

So on the weekend of March 3rd we lost power in my town and several nearby towns, also lost power on March 9th in my town and other nearby towns - both times this resulted in no TMOBILE cell service while my Verizon and AT&T neighbors had service. Went to tmobile store and they were clueless to the problem; called tmobile tech support and they told me it was probably the SIM cards. Went back to tmobile store and had the sim cards replaced and a reset of network settings but when I return back to my town still no service.

WHAT'S GOING ON ?

Thinking about changing my cell service to Verizon or AT&T.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Power Outage Essex County Massachusetts

Many cell towers don't have a back up generator for power. We saw how this was a issue when the natural disasters hit the Southern parts of the US. What is probably happening is that the tower runs off of the part of the grid that was effected by the power outage while the Verizon/At&T tower was not effected. Not much can be done in these situations as even a generator would only last at best 24hours if it was as serious of a power outage that you mentioned.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, yacht4u! Welcome, and I'm sorry to read about both the power outage *and* the service outage. It doesn't look like you're the only Essex Co resident who had this experience, so it doesn't seem likely to be SIM trouble. It stinks that you went out of your way (and it sounds like it wasn't a short drive) to swap the SIMs out only to find out that this wasn't the problem.
          This is an issue that we would want you to work with Tech to resolve, although I can respect that you may be hesitant to Contact Us again after that experience. We need a team with account access to file a trouble ticket to report that the site was down during the power outage, so that our engineers can take a look and see what happened. It may be, as dragon1562 mentioned, that this is a site without a back-up power option; or it may be that there was some trouble with it -- and it will require review by these offline teams to get that answer; the ticket is the way that we ask the question.
          If you're looking for an alternate method of contact (vs reaching out over the phone) and you're active on social media, our T-Force team on Twitter and Facebook have a secure platform for account verification and can get this kind of trouble ticket filed for you. You can start a DM with @tmobilehelp on Twitter or visit our Facebook page and hit Message to get started. You're welcome to link to this thread when you reach out so that you don't have to repeat yourself!

• yacht4u

I did contact tech support about this issue, see original message above. It was your tech support department that told me that it was probably SIM card issue. A trouble ticket for this issue is probably attached to my phone number.

• tmo_marissa

Oh, I understand, yacht4u, and I'm sorry that the SIM wasn't actually the culprit. That's why I mentioned that I can appreciate that you might be hesitant to reach out again -- unfortunately, we don't have a secure platform for account access in this public forum, so we're not able to look up the ticket by phone number or file a new one.
                  That said, if a ticket was filed, you would have received a text message with the ID number. If you go back through your messages, do you see anything from T-Mobile with that information? If so, we can review the ticket number and let you know if it's still open or closed out. If not, and interacting online is preferable, you can contact our T-Force team as mentioned above!

• tmo_marissa

Hi there! I don't want to spam you with check-ins, but I just wanted to see if you'd had a chance to go through your messages and check for a ticket number. I'm happy to look it up for you if you have one!