55+ Plan and TM-AC1900

drnewcomb2

The announced price increase in the 55+ plan may cause us to jump from our current combination of Select Choice and Project Fi to 55+ so that the price will get locked in. I read a report from someone who was made to return his TM-AC1900 router simply because there was no place on the 55+ plan to record that he had one.

I'd like to confirm that the 55+ plan is or is not compatible with having a TM-AC1900. If there's some special trick needed to keep it, I'd like to know what magic buttons have to be pushed of who needs to talk with whom. Thanks.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: 55+ Plan and TM-AC1900

Hey drnewcomb2

That device is not specific to a plan but rather the account type. Since the 55+ plan is a postpaid plan, you can totally use the Cellspot with that plan.

• drnewcomb2

Thanks Chris, If there's an issue about this later, I'll get back in touch with you. As I said, I've seen at least one report from a customer who was asked to return his TM-AC1900 after he switched to the 55+ plan. The switch would be a little less attractive if I have to drop $100+ on a new router with a DLNA server.

• tmo_chris

For sure. I checked the limitations of the 55+ plan and the requirements for the cellspot and there is nothing internally that says you can't have one with that plan.

• drnewcomb2

We went ahead this evening and switched my line to 55+ and ported my wife's in from Project Fi. It went fairly smoothly except the rep had never heard of Project Fi, so we had to the the manager involved. The manager had only seen two ports from Project Fi prior to us.

• dragon1562

Glad the switch went over smoothly. I wanted to ask by the way if you can add one plus to the 55+ deal?

• drnewcomb2

Well, the sign-up and port-over went fairly smoothly. The biggest snag there was the fact that the rep had never heard of Project Fi and had to get some advice from the manager on how to do the port. The snag came when I got home and did a paranoia check on my account. At the store, I was asked what I wanted to do with my FDFL line. I told them that we no longer had that tablet and the line could be just dropped. When I checked at home, it had transmogrified to a 10GB $45/mo data line. I called CS and was told that to take care of the problem I'd have to talk to "cancellations". 20 minutes on hold before the connection dropped. Called back, an hour listening to dreadful (I mean K-Pop dreadful) on-hold music, I finally got through to someone who could do something. He explained that it was an artifact of the fact that I converted the account on the first day of my billing period and that he'd put in a request for adjustment and that the $45 should be removed in 24 hours. He also changed the name on my wife's line from my name to hers, Something that the store should have done. I asked for it to be changed to keep them straight in my head but he pointed out that it also keeps the Caller ID straight.

Sorry but the subject of Plus didn't come up. Online it's an option that I can add along with $25 international, etc. The site warns "If on a promo plan, you’ll lose promotional discount(s) when migrating to a new plan." So, I'll be very careful about changing anything. My objective in changing to this plan was to lock in about $20/mo saving compared to what we had been doing (Select Choice + Project Fi). There's no cost advantage if I then go back and add $20 or $50 in bolt-on features.

• dragon1562

Awe ok thank you for all the info. I was just curious since my parents could also qualify for this promo should they ever want to switch from AT&T but I doubt that will happen since AT&T gave us a pretty solid deal for 4 lines at $160 with 20GB of normal/fast data. Plus since I never use my AT&T phone for data anymore it rollsover to the next month so its like we always have 40GB to play around with.