Chicago Loop Congestion

nxbrennan

I've seen a number of other questions about it but I'd like to add my issues in the Chicago Loop and ask if there are improvements coming.

I work rotating shifts in the southwest corner of the Loop and have seen a very predictable pattern that during normal office hours the LTE bands slow to an absolute crawl.  Both my previous ASUS ZenFone 2 and current LG V20 become basically unusable during this timeframe and the only solution has been to lock them to WCDMA bands.

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for this issue anytime in the near future? Other than this T-Mobile's service package has been absolutely top-notch.  Thank you.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Chicago Loop Congestion

The lights (there are two of them) at the end of the tunnel are:

1. 600 MHz which is not scheduled to become available in Chicago until Mar 2020
        2. LAA which uses part of the 800 MHz of unlicensed 5 GHz spectrum to augment LTE for download.

LAA (band 46) is in the works. Both 600 MHz and LAA require phones that support the technology. ITMT, the best thing that a T-Mobile customer can do is to get a phone that supports all the LTE bands, CA and MIMO available. T-Mobile lacks usable high-band, which is needed to overcome congestion in dense urban areas. Going to another carrier is a viable solution but the comment about getting all the CA, MIMO and band compatibility is also true for other carriers.