Super slow LTE

magenta4324521

Hello,

I just switched over from AT&T to take advantage of T-Mobile's ONE Plus plan, and I am experiencing terrible speeds with full reception. I'm considering switching back if this is pretty typical in the San Diego area.

Is there anything that can increase speeds when I'm not at home and connected to my WiFi?

It doesn't seem fair to pay for data I can't take advantage of. Especially if I can only watch videos in low quality when I am paying to be able to stream in 1080p.

image1.png

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Super slow LTE

Hmmm. 3.9 Mbps download, 12.5 upload. Full strength signal. Typical symptom of network (sector) congestion. What phone are you using? Does 3.9 Mbps keep you from doing anything?

• magenta4324521

I have an iPhone 8 Plus. It just dramatically slows down any sort of app updates/downloads, refreshing feeds on social media, and streaming YouTube videos.

It was even worse last night around 7-9pm.

• drnewcomb2

Well, you won't do much better than an iPhone 8+. It at least has three-way carrier aggregation.

I could suggest updating apps only on WiFi.

T-Mobile just will have issues in certain urban markets, at least until 600 MHz and LAA become available. I mean, they did really well in most aspects of their spectrum acquisitions, overall, except they were asleep at the switch with the high-band licenses were being auctioned.

I've made the suggestion that they need to back off on promoting their service in certain urban areas, until they get caught up on capacity,  but no one listens to me.

• drnewcomb2

P.S. There have also been some anecdotal suggestions that some phones might just get stuck on band-12, which would greatly limit their speed. I don't think this is the case here, but it's something to consider.

• magenta4324521

Maybe, but this is just pretty ridiculous in terms of download speed. IMG_4661.jpg

• tmo_amanda

These speeds are not typical of what you should be seeing in San Diego, magenta4324521.  Is there a specific zip code the slow data usually occurs in? I can take a closer look at the area to see if anything is going on. Lastly, have you talked to our Tech Support team about this yet?

• magenta4324521

Hi Amanda,

I have spoken to customer support, and they did open a ticket under my account for a tech support member to look at. It was opened 03/07 at 9:42 PST. It says I should hear back from them in about 3 days.

• dragon1562

I just wanted to suggest putting the phone into airplane mode and then back out. This will force the device to search for a signal and connect to the best one. Sometimes phones get stuck connecting to a bad site instead of switching over. You can also try dropping down to HSPA+ to see if speeds are any better. I will admit the speeds are not stellar but they should be good enough to atleast stream 720p content for video. I will also add that the speeds are not typical fo rthe market as I have friends who can pull around 50-100 mb down on a regular basis. Although they are using Samsung products not Iphones so... Definitely made the right call by calling in though and reporting the issue.

• tmo_amanda

Perfect, magenta4324521! Please keep us updated on the outcome! 

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Just wanted to see if you'd heard back or checked in regarding the ticket status. Were there any updates?

• magenta4324521

Haven't heard anything back yet.

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for letting us know, magenta4324521. I know it's been a few days -- if you're still waiting, and you have the ticket number that was sent to you via SMS, we can take a peek at it here!

• magenta4324521

Hello, my ticket number is #19055918. Thanks for checking!

• tmo_marissa

Thank you, magenta4324521! The ticket was updated by the engineering team with the following comments:

The coverage and sites around the customer's area have been analyzed and were functioning properly. No degradation or alarms have been detected. There is good coverage at the problem address in all bands (UMTS, LTE and LTE700A). TMO has been persistent in deploying the Extended Range LTE700 which enhances signal strength and coverage. At the time and place of complaint, customer's location was being served by several TMO macro sites. All these sites are within effective signal radius. Mentioned sites were alarm free during time of complaint."

Not the easiest response, I know. Here are the possibilities:

1. The area may be congested but we haven't had enough reports yet to update the map accordingly. This doesn't seem super likely since when I poke around the map in this location we have verified customer reports of much higher speeds pretty near the location the ticket was filed for, but that doesn't mean it's not possible -- those customer verified pin points are average download speeds of multiple customers over the last 90 days, so if the issue's just cropped up recently then maybe that's the issue. To this end, it might be worth contacting our T-Force team (on Twitter or FB) and discussing possibly re-opening this ticket, or filing it for a different address. When you got the speeds you screenshot above, was that at your home address, or somewhere else? Are the speeds this abysmal outdoors, and if so is there a cross-street we could use to file something for a specific area where you're seeing this problem? Maybe it was filed for the appropriate address in the first place, but that might be worth a double check!
                                                        2. The problem could be with the account, device, or SIM. It sounds like you've got a great plan, so I'm skeptical that the account is the issue here. But it may be worth testing a replacement SIM card out, if troubleshooting dictates that, and barring *that* it might be worth exploring whether the issue could be device related -- if you place your SIM in another person's T-Mobile phone, does the speed improve? Do you know anyone else with T-Mobile service in this area who has the same experience? Our map will populate recent tickets when we click through it, and I didn't see anything else filed nearby, but I'm wondering if you've had a chance to talk to other T-Mo users in the area and ask how things are going for them.
                                                          • magenta4324521

The general area I am experiencing low speeds is around the corner of Ruffin Road and Chesapeake drive in San Diego Ca, 92123.

Other T-Mobile users in my office have experienced the same issues as me.

• tmo_marissa

Ah, OK! I'm sorry, it doesn't look like this was the location used for the ticket that was previously filed. Looking at our map using this location (I used 9335 Chesapeake, it seemed like that was right around the corner), it's still super confusing to hear that you're having connectivity trouble there. Our map doesn't show any congestion or recent complaints in this area, and there was modernization recently completed in this area -- L1900 and L2100 added to a tower at 9630 Chesapeake last month, with more L2100 tentatively scheduled by the end of next month.
                                                                If the issue is only happening in-building, then it might be strictly environmental, but if it's happening indoors/outdoors to you and your colleagues, then we'd definitely like for you to Contact Us to get tickets filed using the specific address. This is going to be the way to go to communicate the issue with our engineering team so that they can take a closer look!