Will T-Mobile please state if/when RCS support for Google apps (e.g. Android Messages) will be available?

lloydgm

Will an official T-Mobile person please respond?

I want to know if RCS is supported for Google apps, specifically Android Messages; if not now, when?

I searched this topic both at T-Mobile and via Google and it seems that this is all rumor so far. There's an official "coming soon" statement from T-Mobile that's almost 3 years old and I can find no follow-up statement.

Perhaps T-Mobile is operating under a different definition of "soon"?

All replies

• tuckeran5607

Last I heard from MWC 2018, is that Google is pushing really hard to get Carriers onboard. Right now Google's JIBE platform is the universal back-end. However, T-Mobile last I heard, was working with Samsung on their own proprietary one. However, I don't think T-Mobile understands we don't want Samsung's version, we would want Google's. So that it works across Android as a whole, and doesn't segment the community, or give consumers a "Buy Samsung or you can't use this feature!" Kind of motive.

But from what I've been reading, Samsung's back-end WILL BE  Compatible with Google JIBE. IF that's the case. I'm 100% onboard

As a T-Mobile ShareHolder   AND Customer. I'd like to know exactly what's coming in this respect. The announcement of a Hard Date of RCS Rollout, even in stages. Will bring FLOODS of customers to T-Mobile, as iMessage has run unopposed on iPhone for FAR too long. This would bring those people who only have iPhones on other networks, to T-Mobile under the Android banner in droves.

Get on it T-Mobile!

• tidbits

tuckeran5607 wrote:

Last I heard from MWC 2018, is that Google is pushing really hard to get Carriers onboard. Right now Google's JIBE platform is the universal back-end. However, T-Mobile last I heard, was working with Samsung on their own proprietary one. However, I don't think T-Mobile understands we don't want Samsung's version, we would want Google's. So that it works across Android as a whole, and doesn't segment the community, or give consumers a "Buy Samsung or you can't use this feature!" Kind of motive.

But from what I've been reading, Samsung's back-end WILL BE Compatible with Google JIBE. IF that's the case. I'm 100% onboard

As a T-Mobile ShareHolder AND Customer. I'd like to know exactly what's coming in this respect. The announcement of a Hard Date of RCS Rollout, even in stages. Will bring FLOODS of customers to T-Mobile, as iMessage has run unopposed on iPhone for FAR too long. This would bring those people who only have iPhones on other networks, to T-Mobile under the Android banner in droves.

Get on it T-Mobile!

That's not how RCS works.  Samsung rolling out their own as well, and they ARE compatible.  As long as ANY device and carrier uses Universal Profile they are compatible. Doesn't matter what servers are being used to sort and deliver the messages. 

Also the last comment.  That I can't back that.  I mean look at Sprint that has been using it the past 2 years.  Their customer base is leaving in droves.  Most people have no idea what RCS is.

Technically speaking T-Mobile already supports RCS, but it's proprietary version.  3GPP only recently finalized the standard in Q4 2017, and now T-Mobile has been working on bringing it.  There's a lot of things RCS still doesn't do that iMessages does do.  For example end to end encryption, the games, and if a device doesn't support it in group messages it often doesn't deliver the photo to that person as it doesn't go through RCS servers.  The Z2 Force group messaging for example splits the group because of it which I been working with Motorola to correct and that's what we figured out.