T-mobile Locked my Iphone 7 IMEI and refuses to unlock or help me, I dont have T-mobile account

magenta4296380

I have had the absolute worst experience with T-Mobile customer care, where they are refusing to remove a lock on my Iphone, I dont have a service with T-mobile how could they lock my Iphone with IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I am running behind T-Mobile spending hours with customer care to resolve lock on my Iphone 7 imposed by T-Mobile.

Purchased mobile from : Walmart store on 26/11/2017 thanks giving offer -- Verizon is the carrier (paid in Full to verizon 699 + 49 Tax),  I am in my home country opned the mobile to use a sim card from india, it shows error "SIM NOT VALID", spoke to Apple store, called verizon nothing they could find at last after spending hours on call with Apple they confirmed that its locked by T-Mobile.

Apple and verizon tried to call T-mobile they refuse to unlock, I tried calling customer care first they denied that IMEI is not in their database, later when I said I have a mail from Apple they confirmed it is locked by T-mobile then they checked Iphone activation tool and they are able to find the IMEI which is locked by T-Mobile.

When I ask them to unlock they say I need to have an account with them to unlock, or I should go to walmart to get it unlocked. Its a comman sense question if it is locked by T-Mobile how can walmart unlock it. Non of the technical support team was helping me in fixing removing the lock. How can T-Mobile put a lock on My IPhone, I have wasted lot of time and tired and posting here ..

*edited to remove personal info - Marissa

All replies

• gramps28

Welcome to Apple's 3rd Party Flex policy.

The 3rd party sells the phone as unlocked which in reality will lock to the first sim that's inserted.

There's many posts like yours that litter this forum so this is either an Apple issue for not telling the 3rd party the phone

will lock to the first sim or the 3rd party reseller for selling the phones as unlocked.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tidbits

magenta4296380 wrote:

I have had the absolute worst experience with T-Mobile customer care, where they are refusing to remove a lock on my Iphone, I dont have a service with T-mobile how could they lock my Iphone with IMEI: 353825089500964

I am running behind T-Mobile spending hours with customer care to resolve lock on my Iphone 7 imposed by T-Mobile.

Purchased mobile from : Walmart store on 26/11/2017 thanks giving offer -- Verizon is the carrier (paid in Full to verizon 699 + 49 Tax), I am in my home country opned the mobile to use a sim card from india, it shows error "SIM NOT VALID", spoke to Apple store, called verizon nothing they could find at last after spending hours on call with Apple they confirmed that its locked by T-Mobile.

Apple and verizon tried to call T-mobile they refuse to unlock, I tried calling customer care first they denied that IMEI is not in their database, later when I said I have a mail from Apple they confirmed it is locked by T-mobile then they checked Iphone activation tool and they are able to find the IMEI which is locked by T-Mobile.

When I ask them to unlock they say I need to have an account with them to unlock, or I should go to walmart to get it unlocked. Its a comman sense question if it is locked by T-Mobile how can walmart unlock it. Non of the technical support team was helping me in fixing removing the lock. How can T-Mobile put a lock on My IPhone, I have wasted hell lot of time and tired and posting here ..

Apple needs to send the IMEI to T-Mobile.  Without the IMEI being in the database they will not unlock it because it DOES NOT belong to them as Apple only gives Carriers specific ones for them to sell.  It can't be an Apple low level rep.  It has to be a specific department which low level Apple reps have no clue what it is(still to this day no one does), and T-Mobile gets the blame for it.  The Reseller Flex Policy is the one to blame.

• drnewcomb2

Let me guess what happened. You went to Walmart and bought an iPhone, ostensibly to activate on Verizon, because you learned that Verizon phones are not locked, but you never activated it on Verizon. Then someone inserted a T-Mobile SIM into the phone, maybe to test it. When this was done,  THE PHONE LOCKED ITSELF to T-Mobile, based on Apple's Reseller Flex Policy. T-Mobile had no hand in this and no knowledge of it. Where you made your mistake was to not first insert the Verizon SIM for about 24 hours.

You may have an issue with Walmart or with Apple, even with yourself. T-Mobile is just an innocent bystander. Next time, go to an Apple store and buy a factory unlocked phone.  ITMT, the best you can hope for is to send the phone back to the US and have a friend, who's a T-Mobile customer, insert their SIM and request an unlock.

• gotto

i heard of people going to best buy and doing the same thing then there crying there phone is locked. ofcourse it's best buys fault and not there's though i would hold best buy accountable to a degree if there not telling the buyer the phone locks to the first sim card that's put in it. if i was to buy an unlocked phone i would goto apple directly and buy a carrier unlocked phone as i have always done i never had a problem with the phone locking to the first sim inserted. why people buy carrier tied phones is beyond me

• brendanhsu

This happened to me too... I bought a Verizon iPhone X (unlocked) for full retail at Best Buy. Inserted my SIM and it was locked to T-Mobile's network

I've wasted over 10 hours between talking with escalated T-Mobile support, Apple support, and Verizon support. No party can offer me a remedy except point fingers at each other.

I ended up sending a legal letter to the T-Mobile Wireless Legal department only to get back A BILL for what I owe and nothing else.

Just called the number for customer service and spoke with T-Mobile. Again they said that there's nothing they can do about the unlock, after 40 mins...

The "US Reseller Flex Policy 4000" locked my phone to their network and their system cannot unlock it.... whoever set up this policy is to blame. And I blame T-Mobile the most between T-Mobile, Best Buy, Apple, and Verizon right now

They said they could not provide any contact to their legal department except an address...

T-Mobile Wireless Legal Department

12920 SE 38 St.

Bellevue, WA 98006-1350

Same address that I mailed my original letter too....

Here's the letter:

Please be advised that Mr. Brendan Hsu has recently consulted with our office regarding his phone you

locked.

Specifically, Mr. Hsu informs us that he originally purchased a Verizon (factory unlocked) iPhone X from

Best Buy for the very specific purpose of having it as an unlocked phone so he would be able to use it with

any carrier. However, without his permission, consent, or approval, you locked Mr. Hsu's iPhone to your

network. Mr. Hsu has since repeatedly tried to work with you and Apple, Inc to unlock his phone and he

has invested over 10 hours of his time to resolve this matter but to no avail. All attempts to unlock Mr.

Hsu's iPhone has failed and he has waited over 4 months without a solution. To date, you have not offered

a solution to this problem which you caused. This is highly unacceptable to Mr. Hsu as he plans to travel

abroad this summer and needs his phone unlocked. Therefore, at this time, in order to avoid further legal

action, Mr. Hsu hereby demands that you immediately replace his phone with a with factory unlocked

iPhone X 256gb (that works with CDMA/GSM networks), or, in the alternative, reimburse him $1,149.00

plus tax, which Mr. Hsu asserts is the value of his phone.

This is a formal demand on behalf of Mr. Hsu that T-Mobile Wireless investigate the facts and

circumstances surrounding this matter and provide him with an appropriate response to his concerns. Such

a response must include your compliance with one of his aforementioned demand.

Mr. Hsu has been made fully aware of his rights and your obligations/potential liabilities

under the law. Please respond to us in writing within ten (10) business days of this letter. Please feel free

to email us at LA@PARKSTAN.COM and be sure to include our above-referenced file number of 4034495

in the subject line of your email. Your prompt attention to this matter is greatly appreciated.

They replied with my monthly bill...