Can I leave leave sprint family plan and come to TMobile separately?

imkervin

Hello, I was curious on the possibility of leaving family plan and coming to TMobile separately. If its possible , what can I do?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

It depends on what the Sprint primary account holder says. Just speaking technically, and not administratively, you should be able to port out a single line from a family plan. It is also possible to have many Sprint phones unlocked and activated with a T-Mobile SIM. However, speaking administratively, there may be consequences. If the phone is not paid off, it will have to be. Getting Sprint to fully unlock a phone is sometimes described as "like pulling teeth." This is clearly something that needs to be coordinated with the primary account holder. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • imkervin

Hello, thanks so much for your time in answering my question. Would Tmobile simply pay off the phone? since I remember Tmobile doing this. What makes my case different?

• dragon1562

In order to have the phone paid off you would need to submit your final bill when bringing the lines over. I believe that is the main thing that makes you different from the standard case. Also to get a device unlocked with Sprint I believe one of the requirements is that the phone is already paid off.

• drnewcomb2

T-Mobile doesn't "simply pay off the phone." What happens is that the customer pays off the phone then submits the invoice to T-Mobile, who may (or may not) reimburse the cost in the form of a prepaid purchase card. I emphasize the "or may not" because you just have to look through the posts on this forum to see the stories of customers who, for whatever reason, expected T-Mobile to pay them something but it got wrapped around the axle somehow and now they're either out the money or hung up in some financial limbo.

The thing that makes your case different is that (I assume) you are not the primary account holder. Everything is probably in the name of the primary account holder. The bill that gets paid off to be reimbursed has his or her name on it and that will be to whom any reimbursement will be addressed. If there's a port-out authorization on Sprint it will have to be the primary account holder who gives it. If this messes up the family plan discounts, he/she will have to approve. Etc.