False advertisement of Data Speeds in the UK

fmx520

So let me start first off by explaining the issue at hand.

I moved to the UK for a couple of months and was told by various T-mobile reps before switching from atnt that in the UK there are faster than

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 4.45.12 PM.png

2G speeds available by switching to the one plus or one plus international plan.

However what we found out is this is not even close to true.

After two weeks of speaking with multiple reps and two network tech tickets open looking at my issue. (then having the tickets closed without any follow up besides me going hunting to see what happened)

(Coverage Map from T-Mobiles own website)

We took  through all the trouble shooting steps

Reboot the phone jump on and off different networks but no matter what we did the 2G speeds remained the same and always ended with the same answer. "Everything seems to check out we don't understand why you are only getting 2G, However we are not responsible for other networks towers" Rinse and repeat this 30 different times.

Now no one could figure out why I was not getting at least 3G on my plan it was a mystery to everyone involved including myself.

Low and behold after two weeks of speaking with multiple reps and two network tech tickets open looking at my issue I found my glaring answer from a customer service rep that is not even a technician.

It is NOT possible to achieve speeds greater than 2G on any plan no matter what you do or where you go internationally.

If this was informed prior to switching providers I would have never have joined.

So after two weeks of dealing with this I am now stuck in a different country paying for a phone on dialup connection that can't even load a map.

I would highly recommend removing any such claim or state clearly that nothing past 2G is possible to save someone the aggravation that I just went through.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can cancel this service or anyways to get over 2G I am all ears.

<End Rant>

All replies

• tidbits

Re: False advertisement of Data Speeds in the UK

A lot of people have been getting 3G speeds on the higher plans in the past.  What device do you have? It might not be possible for you because the device you are using may not support the bands needed for 3G.

• fmx520

Was on an LG k20 but now just got my phone unlocked and back to my Samsung galaxy s8.

I demoted my plan all the way to the one because the rep I spoke to told me not matter what I tried I well be getting 2g speeds abroad regardless of the plan.

Do you have a link that shows people getting these speeds would love to know which plan will actually work

• gramps28

Also the plans aren't meant to be used for extended use for international roaming so just a heads up that you might have your plan terminated.

The majority of the monthly usage needs to be on Tmobile's network.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • drnewcomb2

fmx520 wrote:

Was on an LG k20 but now just got my phone unlocked and back to my Samsung galaxy s8.

OK. The T-Mobile version of the LG-K20+ has international roaming only on 2G GSM 900 & 1800. AFAICT, this phone is incapable of anything faster than 2G in Europe. Why the CSRs didn't check this, I have no clue.

This is from K-20+ tech specs on this site: "GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS Bands 2/4/5, LTE Bands 2/4/5/12"

Do you see UMTS bands 1, 3 or 8? LTE bands 1, 3, 7, 8, etc? Neither do I. This is a low-end phone intended for use in the US with only minimal international roaming capability.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • tidbits

fmx520 wrote:

I demoted my plan all the way to the one because the rep I spoke to told me not matter what I tried I well be getting 2g speeds abroad regardless of the plan.

Do you have a link that shows people getting these speeds would love to know which plan will actually work

As said by drnewcomb2 just above.