Pre-ordering S9+

ooovitas

If I pre-order a Samsung Galaxy S9 plus unlocked version from the Samsung official website, will I be able to use my T-Mobile sim card on the new phone? Because when I tried to order it earlier today and it came to the "activate your phone" page and I only saw two carriers, Verizon and Sprint. Does that mean the unlocked version from Samsung official does not support T-Mobile network?

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Pre-ordering S9+

The unlocked version will work with T-mobile. However, you may lack some functionally like have digits natively built into the OS and Wi-fi calling.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • j.a.r.v.i.s

Hi ooovitas - I can confirm an unlocked phone will work on T-Mobile network.  I've used a Nexus 6P and last year, bought a Galaxy S8+ from Best Buy...just pop in the SIM and the phone will enable the T-Mobile specifics.  As dragon1562 says, I was unable to use native DIGITS and the native visual voicemail apps, but the Play Store apps work just fine if that is agreeable for you.  It's all personal choice really.  Wifi Calling does work on the unlocked version (S8+)...S9 should be the same I would imagine.

• ooovitas

What are native digits? How would activate the phone if the Samsung site does offer the option?

• tmo_marissa

Hey, ooovitas! This is a great question, and it sounds like you're getting some good feedback and experience from other users. I just want to be straightforward that the best answer here will come from Samsung directly -- we're not able to guarantee network compatibility on devices we aren't personally retailing.

Generally speaking, I haven't encountered any previous reports of issues with factory unlocked Samsung equipment here in the Community forum, but to truly get an explanation of why those are the only carriers you're seeing on the activation page of their order system, we'd recommend reaching out to Samsung. Sorry that we can't give you an official stamp of approval on our end!

Edited to add: DIGITS is a T-Mobile service that allows you to use multiple numbers from one device and/or access your line from multiple devices. You can find out more about DIGITS here: DIGITS!

Also, I just want to call out that you can still purchase a T-Mobile branded S9/S9+ and once you meet the eligibility requirements outlined here: Unlock your mobile wireless device you can submit a request for it to be unlocked! If you need it to be unlocked from the get-go, though, then I would still suggest contacting Samsung to check on compatibility. Please let us know what they say!

• j.a.r.v.i.s

ooovitas - Native DIGITS integration means that the Samsung phone allows you to select which DIGITS line you are using for SMS, Phone and Voicemail without installing the App from the Play Store.  I really prefer the native experience vs the DIGITS app.

As @tmo_marissa said, you can unlock your phone from T-Mobile once you have paid it off and own it 100% and once you have had it for 40 days.  I just unlocked my S8+ recently and its really easy to do.  There is also a temporary unlock for when you travel and want to use another SIM (not sure why you would with free international roaming with T-Mobile ONE, though...).

If you have a T-Mobile SIM already, no need to activate the phone, jut put the SIM in and it should work.